UDAYAN DAMANY (UD) email@example.com
Quality & Reliability / QA Methodology / Hands-on Root Cause Analysis / Lean Six Sigma / Continuous Improvement / Fishbone Diagram / 1MIS & 3MIS / Field Quality / Warranty Analysis / Quality Alerts / Containment / Work Instructions / SQL Query / Design and Process FMEAs / SPC / Control Plans / Manufacturing Readiness / 5S / GD&T / Validation / Program Management / MBOM / NPI / MES / Jira / Confluence / Dashboards
• Built and led cross functional team in GA comprised of quality, production, and NPI focusing on Model S and Model X seats, interior, exterior, body and long tail related IPV reduction.
• Championed lessons learned report database by implementing quality management system to incorporate Model S and Model X lessons into Model 3.
• Led effort in service quality to reduce Model X VINs coming to service centers by 65%. Soft Skills: Excellent oral, written and presentation skills; ability to influence at all levels of an organization; strong collaborator across organizations and geographic regions; strategic problem solver; strong analytical and research abilities; natural leader Mind-set: Transparent, Agile, Data-driven, Competitive and One-team oriented Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Ohio University, Athens, Ohio Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Gujarat University, India Project Management Professional (PMP) Certificate, PMI Six Sigma Black Belt Certificate, Management and Strategy Institute Overview and Impact of the ISO 26262, SAE
Qualified Electrician in High Voltage system in motor vehicles Level 1/2/3, TÜV SÜD Akademie Selected Achievements
Defect Assassin Team Leader @TESLA; f(killshot)=4M+5WHY Built and led cross-functional team in GA comprising quality, production and NPI focusing on MS and MX IPV reduction related seats (ex. noise, mutilations, NSPs), interior (ex. NSPs), exterior (ex. charge port door, molding fit) and body (ex. fender-hood, hood-fascia, door-door). The fast paced data-driven approach made a measurable impact on quality while collaborating with design teams including 901 Page. Published Newsletters highlighting the achievements. The team was featured in Elon’s company-wide quality magazine.
Quality management system for Model 3 @TESLA; LLR (MS + MX) =M3 Championed lessons learned reports (LLR) initiative to incorporate Model S and Model X lessons into Model 3. Collaborated with all levels of engineering including quality, design, manufacturing, and supplier industrialization. By creating feedback loops and employing recurrence prevention approach, 350+ lessons across 25+ departments were incorporated into Model 3 design. Recognized and given an award within 3 months of employment. Service Quality Improvement - 65% reduction in vehicles coming to service centers @TESLA Visited and interviewed technicians at service centers to define failure modes and drive resolution. Collaborated with global MRB centers and suppliers to drive root cause of field return parts, teamed up with GA and NPI to run trials on containments and countermeasures. These efforts resulted in reducing MX VIN visits from 41% in 01/2016 to 14% in 10/2016. UDAYAN DAMANY (UD) firstname.lastname@example.org
2041 Eagle Ave, Alameda, CA 94501 602-***-****
Manager Quality & Safety, Powertrain+Autonomous Driving, 06/2018 – 06/2020
• Led cross-functional teams in implementation of corporate guidelines and ensured timely completion and effective management of quality requirements.
• Coached stakeholders in creating documents such as Boundary diagram, P-diagram and design FMEA. Worked with counterparts in China in developing process FMEAs.
• Managed 700+ issues discovered during validation phase in JIRA database to their timely closure while assisting HW/SW engineers to effectively root cause and resolve them.
• Held daily standing meetings with managers and engineers to eliminate roadblocks and keep track of goals and reported project status on weekly basis to CTO and VPs. Staff Quality Engineer, Quality Engineering, TESLA 07/2015 – 06/2018
(Sr Quality Engineer 07/2015-04/2016)
• Led cross-functional teams to drive process and product improvements by using QA methodologies to manage and facilitate issue resolution including root cause investigations and the implementation and monitoring of effective corrective and preventive actions.
• Worked extensively with manufacturing, pilot associates, quality inspectors, end of line management, design, NPI, material receive board, and supplier industrialization to track internal and external quality performance metrics and drove continuous improvement.
• Collaborated with process engineers, leads and AMs in GA, body and paint departments to enhance processes to ensure repeatability, conducted DOEs in GA and improved design.
• Joined forces with body process engrs, body fit team, in-line inspectors and EOL to tackle body issues (ex. gap/flushness of hood-fender, hood-A/Plr, hood-lamp, door-door). Led efforts to adhere to CVIS and establish common gages usage among GA and body staff.
• Engaged with seat suppliers (Adient, etc.) directly; some examples include prevention of seat back escutcheon mutilation by modifying process at supplier’s facility and adopting adhesive film + seat track cover (STC) mutilation by design countermeasure of increased clearance between the frame brkt and STC.
• Participated in manufacturing validation for new part introductions and ensure there were no quality side effects that would impact EOL repair rate.
• Led weekly discussions with MRB and suppliers to assess progress of SCARs to ensure timely resolution thereby meeting quarterly goals.
• Supported the development of Model 3 DFMEAs and PFMEAs to incorporate Model S and Model X lessons from quality management system (type “LLR(MS+MX)=M3” in Jira database).
• Audited Model 3 validation plans to define gaps and collaborated with design, test and suppliers to close them with corrective actions.
• Teamed up with service centers to facilitate real-time ongoing field data collection to ensure failure modes were defined, and thereby applied 80/20 rule to focus on vital causes.
• Analyzed external KPI-Consumer Reports data to map warranty symptoms thereby identified internal KPIs to achieve “Recommended” rating for 2017 Model S. Sr. Project Engineer, Quality & Reliability Engineering, 10/2000 – 06/2015
• Validated reliability assurance test plans for all vehicles based on VOC. Saved company over $12M by validating cost reduction proposals while maintaining quality .
• Authored revisions to design standards and methods to improve performance requirements.
• Developed dealer monitor process. The process involved working part time at dealerships as a field engineering specialist interacting directly with customers.
• Collaborated with legal team and NHTSA to ensure FMVSS and CMVSS compliance, represented Nissan as part of the coalition of OEMs and, led recall campaigns.