C H U M A O Z O U G W U
A certified Operational Risk Manager with over 10 years strong operational risk background and experience gained from top tier global investment banks. PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATION
January 2016 Operational Risk Manager Certificate
Professional Risk Managers International Association (PRMIA) ACADEMIC QUALIFICATION
Feb 2018 Executive MBA
Imperial College, University of London
July 2009 MSc Applied Economics
University of Strathclyde
June 2016 – Sept 2019 State Street Global Advisors Position Deputy Head of Operational Risk Management (Europe and Middle East)
• Partnered in the provision of strategic and tactical direction across the core areas of operational risk for EMEA region
• Lead oversight of the successful design and maintenance of some of the key components of the risk appetite framework and, the processes leading up to it from material risk identification
• Provided leadership on regulatory, supervision and control issues applicable to the Investment Management business
• Provided governance oversight for the execution of Risk Assessments for the EMEA region to ensure they provide accurate view of the operational risk exposures.
• Proactive provision of emerging and material risk identification as well as, independent oversight across different business areas in the region, with a specific focus on Asset Management teams to implement a robust and effective risk management framework.
• Coordinated the facilitation of the Operational Risk Scenario Analysis program, in support of the calculation of the Basel Pillar 2 capital for Internal Capital Adequacy Process (ICAAP) used for Stress Testing for United Kingdom & Republic of Ireland
• Provided the supervisory assurance to ensure that appropriate risk management metrics are produced and reviewed at appropriate intervals and that, heightened and out of appetite risks are escalated to the relevant governance committees.
• In partnership with other global teams, led the EMEA region’s significant contribution in the implementation and roll out of the Global Integrated Risk Management and Compliance architecture project. The platform became the definitive single and centralized source for risk and compliance functions for the firm. June 2013 – June 2016 JP Morgan Chase
Position Senior Operational Risk Manager
• Accountable for the monitoring of the control environment surrounding all technical, financial and operational processes, ensuring production control procedures were followed and appropriately evidenced.
• Oversaw the performance of legal entity assurance activities which included thematic and deep-dive reviews in accordance with the annual risk assurance plan
• Maintained the governance routines including designing controls and maintaining evidence required to systematically solicit feedback, design and socialize proposed enhancements and regularly publish updates.
• Supervised and worked with the business units to conduct self-assessments through a Risk Control and Self- Assessment (RCSA) discipline and developed action plans to remediate identified control gaps.
• Oversaw the maintenance and modification of the control framework, provided ad hoc control guidance and supported procedural/policy enhancements.
• Served as a key contact for regulatory and risk questions for the business, whilst ensuring operational practices are in compliance with relevant risk standards, policies, and regulations.
• Provided oversight and coordination of key process control tests, including the collation and reporting of test results and the development and implementation of enhancements where necessary
• Drove the operations training agenda around risk awareness and mitigation, and resiliency Dec 2012 – June 2013 Barclays Wealth
Position Operational Risk Manager
• A key pioneer member of the 2nd line of defence team commissioned to set up a distinct operational risk framework for Barclays Stockbrokers, which hitherto was part of the firm-wide operational risk framework
• Played key role in the initial identification of the key operational risk scenarios for the Business Unit and established robust mitigation plans.
• Collaborated with process owners to set up the functional structure used to identify, measure, and report on the business’s key risk indicators (KRIs)
• Took part in the build out of oversight tools for the established control framework which permitted strong capabilities to track and assess impacts of measures introduced to mitigate operational related risks
• Conducted periodic reviews and maintenance of control tools such as system entitlements, supervisory procedures and check lists.
Feb 2011- Dec 2012 Morgan Stanley
Position Operational Risk Control Manager (First Line of Defence)
• Functioned as a 1st line of defence for different business units comprising Fixed Income Trading and OTC Financial Commodities providing oversight control
• Periodically conducted proactive audits aimed at verifying accuracy and compliance with policies and procedures especially for high risk processes in line with the operational risk framework of the departments
• Undertook Control Testing and reported on issues identified and provided recommendations for improvements.
• Performed analyses of common and recurring control weaknesses and monitored results and trends in other relevant indicators
• Key partner in process mapping sessions that led in the identification of risks and determination of risk rankings for the business unit
• Served as an escalation point for clients for the assessment of risk and identification/resolution of account related exceptions and issues through periodic substantiation process. April 2004 – Feb 2011 Union Bank (Formerly Barclays Bank) Position Risk Analyst
• Worked with Capital Markets counterparts on credit approval and execution of transactions identifying key risks and structuring transactions to mitigate credit concerns
• Managed deal approval process including preparation of credit approval memos and transaction execution with product partners
• Carried out detailed analysis of the commercial lending portfolios to inform credit policy and risk appetite within regional levels
• Performed regular reviews of the portfolio of counterparties and adjusted credit limits as needed. CONTACT DETAILS