SCOTT D. RILEY, SSMBB
717-***-**** Germantown, MD
email@example.com http://www.linkedin.com/pub/scott-d-riley/3/a33/210 Dear Palmetto Health Hiring Professional:
Hello and thank you for your time and your review of my skills, experience and credentials. It is my goal and desire to play a key role in the continued growth and success of Palmetto Health by fulfilling the role of Associate Director, Financial Planning & Analysis (AES).
I have developed my experience and knowledge in three (3) primary functional areas: 1.) Strategic, Corporate Level Financial Planning, Analysis and Controllership, 2.) Supply Chain Logistics Operations Management and 3.) Six Sigma / ISO 9002 Quality Systems Process Management having earned my GE Six Sigma Master Black Belt Certification. The following focuses on my experience developing, planning and executing strategic level initiatives and activities throughout my career:
- I currently execute the lead financial planning and controlling role for the largest equipment acquisition in the history of Amtrak, the $3.0B procurement of the Acela 21 / Next Generation High-Speed Rail (NGHSR) Trainset acquisition along with the multiple associated infrastructure improvement projects. My role has been the key financial leadership representative of the program including the issuance of the request for proposals (RFP), the evaluation of the responses and the negotiation of contract award and the notice to proceed (NTP) with our offshore Trainset builder. I have led the effort to develop the business case and associated demographic and marketing analysis to justify and secure the needed funding for the program from the chosen lender, the Federal Railroad Administration’s (FRA’s) Build America Bureau. I continue to develop the month end & year end capital and operating forecasts and budgets for the program including the Trainsets and the associated capital improvements to three (3) maintenance facilities, four (4) major station renovations, corridor Safety and track improvements and nine (9) supporting IT projects.
- I possess an exceptional level of both short & long-range strategic financial planning and forecasting capabilities gained in more than nineteen (19) years of professional financial management and leadership experience researching, developing and presenting the annual business operating and capital plans to the executive leadership for approval at the GE corporate level, for a growing privately held education-based software/services firm and currently in the service of Amtrak.
- I acted as the liaison between Amtrak and the FRA for the execution of funding requests for the $562.9M Railroad Rehabilitation & Improvement Financing (RRIF) loan funding the purchase of 70 new ACS-64 electric locomotives inclusive of: the purchase of the locomotives; capital spares; facilities construction and the PMO oversight of the acquisition program.
- I have worked both domestically and internationally with a demonstrated record of success as a trusted advisor with the executive management and sales teams developing and translating services and product design methodologies into pricing models and winning business strategies to optimize both the sales volume and profitability of the offering.
- I am a demonstrated leader having successfully led multiple strategic high-profile, cross-cultural corporate level initiatives including: the launch of new product and service lines; location start-ups and turnarounds; and the leadership and development of a corporate wide quality system - encompassing hundreds of policies, procedures and work instructions.
- I am a business process / continuous improvement expert having earned my GE Six Sigma Master Black Belt Certification based on my leadership of the development of a quality system successfully meeting the requirements of ISO 9002. I formerly led the GE Capital / Penske Logistics, LLC Corporate Business Quality Council (BQC) where strategic improvement project charters were presented, justified and discussed for approval by the executive leadership. I certainly appreciate your full consideration. I have attached my detailed resume relating to the position. It would be my pleasure to speak with you. Please feel free to contact me at 717-***-****. With every good wish,
Scott D. Riley
SCOTT D. RILEY, SSMBB
717-***-**** Germantown, MD
firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.linkedin.com/pub/scott-d-riley/3/a33/210 S TRATEGIC F I NANCIAL PLANNING & ANALYSIS LEADER
Multi-faceted corporate executive with in-depth experience leading global teams focused on corporate-level financial planning and analysis, revenue growth new business and product pricing, supply chain operations management and procurement, business operations, project management, customer relationship building and Six Sigma / ISO 9000 quality systems process management. Proven ability to deliver results through focused analysis and planning, optimizing profitability and increasing sales. Skilled at influencing and communicating with C-level leaders and cross- functional internal stakeholders and clients as a true business partner. PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
AMTRAK, Washington, DC 11/2011 – Present
National railroad passenger service that provides intercity transportation within the US with revenues of $4B. Principal Officer, Strategic Fleet Planning - Corporate Finance Executes the key financial leadership role of the largest equipment acquisition in Amtrak’s history, the $3B Acela 21 Next Generation High-Speed Rail trainset procurement and infrastructure improvement program. Leads discreet analyses and develops risk and mitigation strategies. Liaises cross functionally with all corporate and operating functions driving consensus regarding proposed changes and/or new fleet acquisition strategies. Participates in projects as Amtrak’s fleet strategy subject matter expert and with teams involved in other corporate wide strategic initiatives. Reporting to four Vice Presidents and an Executive Project Director.
Developed multi-year capital and operating program budgets supporting the successful award of the
$3.0B Railroad Rehabilitation and Improvement Financing (RRIF) funding for the Acela 21 trainset acquisition and capital asset development.
Responsible for the development of the monthly and yearly capital and operating forecasts and long- range financial plans for the Acela 21 Program.
Act as the Amtrak liaison with the Federal Railroad Administration’s (FRA’s) Build America Bureau for loan origination and funding requests.
Produce analysis and monitor multiple financial statements across 24 multi-element projects. Producing focused variance analyses and actionable plans to positively affect results.
Leads the coordination and development of execution plans, reporting, review and analysis of the corporation’s fleet strategy including integration with capital plans, forecasts and project narratives.
Leads and develops the fleet acquisition strategies, business cases and recommendations with funding recommendations to senior leadership.
Authored and published the 30 Year Amtrak Fleet Strategy for Congressional approval. SRC SOLUTIONS, INC., Dunmore, PA 01/2007 – 11/2011
$5M software development company focused on the K-12 education and government market segments. Senior Executive, Financial Planning, Analysis, and Operations Strategy Developed financial reporting and analysis capability for company to provide cost visibility and recommendations to President. Developed variance analysis and insights for the annual strategic business operating plan and targets. Managed cash flows, established contingencies, monitored and pursued collections. Reported to President.
Negotiated multiple reseller agreements with numerous partners which expanded market penetration and new product seeding.
Established financial policy and infrastructure and designed and implemented the metrics and reporting capabilities.
Developed new product business development pricing models and strategies inclusive of ROI, NPV, IRR calculations.
Evaluated and developed new product marketing analysis for new product and service launch.
Evaluated and approved customer contract language.
Established general administrative policies and procedures to stabilize and foster growth of company.
Evaluated staff resources and provided direction for the redistribution of tasks improving efficiency.
Established all HR related policies and procedures and executed as appropriate to ensure compliance with applicable employment regulations.
SCOTT D. RILEY Page 2
GE CAPITAL/PENSKE LOGISTICS, LLC, Reading, PA 01/1995 – 01/2007 Global provider of logistics and supply chain management Major Account Manager, Supply Chain Operations (08/2005 – 01/2007) Led the daily supply chain operational execution of seven operating locations across the United States servicing a major building products manufacturer producing $19M in annual revenues. Directed and developed twenty-two supervisors and 101 drivers with 101 power units and 177 trailers throughout the network. Operated in compliance with all applicable DOT and FMCSR regulations. Resolved all human resources related issues. Reported to SVP, Operations.
Led the customer relationship management as the main point of contact for the account and held the P&L responsibility across the network. Responsible for financial performance, variance analysis, annual business plan development, customer contract renewal and all growth negotiations.
Developed contract language focusing on the improvement of backhaul revenues and cost reduction.
Implemented risk/reward scenario for backhaul improvement maximizing customer product and third party backhaul capability.
Facilitated various improvement initiatives throughout the network including the implementation of a network wide IT initiative.
Financial Project Manager (01/2000 – 07/2005)
Led all supply chain financial activities within the Southeast region encompassing 18 field locations and producing $55M in total annual revenue. Managed the monthly production and close of P&L statements, the variance to plan analysis, development of the monthly financial forecasts, and short and long range corporate strategic business plans. Managed a Senior Financial Analyst; reported to Finance Director.
Developed all customer KPI metrics and reported post implementation supply chain performance.
Responsible for business development pre-sales analysis, development of the business case, pricing and risk mitigation strategies including the calculation of ROI, IRR as well as responses to RFP and the development and presentation of sales proposals working in conjunction with the Sales Management Team.
Developed contract language for customer deals and renewals.
Worked internationally in France and the United Kingdom developing base-lining activities for an Activity Based Costing system leading to the renewal of a $9M contract.
Received Turnaround Recognition Award for work with Wawa account in 2005.
Received Associate Recognition Award for work with Rite Aid in 2003. Certified Six Sigma Master Black Belt (07/1997 – 12/1999) Led process improvement teams utilizing Business Process Management Systems (BPMS) process management and Six Sigma / ISO 9000 methodologies to instill continuous improvement. Reported to Quality Director.
Drove quality efforts as project leader which secured $950M in annual automotive revenues and services provided to Mercedes-Benz, General Motors, Ford and Chrysler.
Led the development, implementation and maintenance of a corporate quality system to meet the requirements of ISO 9002, successfully obtaining certification in 1998.
Developed materials and trained all levels of associates from executive to hourly employees in both Six Sigma and ISO methodologies.
Developed and maintained quality policies, procedures and work instructions and maintained 3,000+ documents in an electronic document management system.
Mentored a team of five Black Belts responsible for the development of site level procedures, work instructions, and training within the ISO System.
Recipient of Outstanding Contribution Award – ISO Certification in 1998.
Received Mentor Quality Project Completion Award – Carpenter Steel in 1999. E DUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
Penn State University – Bachelor of Business Administration – major courses of study included: Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Marketing, and General Education. GE Capital - Six Sigma Master Black Belt Certification – Registered Certificate #: 187***-****** Stat-A-Matrix - ISO 9000 Lead Auditor Certification