***-** ************ ****** *** Garden New York, 11415
My Primary objective is to provide laboratory support to scientists in their endeavor to answer research questions, by engaging in routine and research laboratory procedures that comply with quality and standards. My aim is to impart my abilities in aseptic techniques, records keeping, equipment maintenance, specimen testing, and other procedures associated with microbiology and Immunology laboratory work. My experience in research labs has broadened my understanding and enhanced my capabilities in performing laboratory tasks. I am confident that I can be a beneficial team player in any research setting and look forward to contributing positively towards professional growth.
April –November 2019 Rutgers University (New jersey medical school- department of Infectious Diseases) Research Technician
• Run cell culture and macrophage infection assays
• Run cell cytotoxicity assays
• Culture and perform MIC assays of BSL2 pathogens
• Works safely in a BSL3 environment
• Keeps detailed records of procedures and experiments
• Maintain day-to-day running of the laboratory
2013 -2018 Medical Research council The Gambia Unit at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
2015-2018: Research Technician
• Oversee the day-to-day running of the tuberculosis Immunology
• Performed Immunological and microbiological analysis of samples
• Labeled and sorted samples accurately
• Maintained lab equipment in good working condition.
• Washed glassware and cleaned work benches on regular basis
• Maintained inventory of lab supplies and reported any shortages to supervisor.
• Assisted in laboratory set-up and maintained laboratory organized
• Raising indents for local and external orders
• Present lab work in group meeting and conferences 2013-2014: Research Assistant
• Maintained accurate records of all work undertaken in the laboratory (BSL3)
• Do routine tasks such as microscopy, culture, drug susceptibility and extract DNA
• Performed laboratory tests and recorded the results.
• Prepared lab equipment and specimen for tests.
• Maintain laboratory supply and order supply
• Ensured health and safety rules are followed at all times.
• Performed general cleaning and maintenance of laboratory
• Report any malfunctional equipment
Sep 2012 to Sep 2013: University of Manchester, MSc Immunology and Immunogenetics Sep. 2007 to June 2010: University of Manchester, BSc (Hons) Microbiology Sep 2002 to June 2004: University of Westminster, Diploma in Biomedical Sciences PUBLICATIONS AND SCIENTIFIC CONFERENCE PRESENTATION
• Optimising a functional mycobacteria growth-inhibition assay to improve its suitability for TB vaccine studies in children. Leopold Tientcheu, Oumie Secka, Beth Holder, Beate Kampmann
(conference presentation) Global Forum on TB Vaccines in Shanghai China (2015)
• Association of slow recovery of Mycobacterium africanum-infected patients posttreatment with high content of Persister-Like bacilli in pretreatment sputum. Tientcheu LD1, Bell A2, Secka O3, Ayorinde A3, Otu J3, Garton NJ4, Sutherland JS3, Ota MO5, Antonio M3, Dockrell HM2, Kampmann B3, Barer MR4. Int J Mycobacteriol. 2016 Dec;5 Suppl 1:S99-S100. doi: 10.1016/j.ijmyco.2016.09.033. Epub 2016 Nov 11
• A Mycobacterial Perspective on Tuberculosis in West Africa: Significant Geographical Variation of M. africanum and Other M. tuberculosis Complex Lineages. Gehre F, Kumar S, Kendall L, Ejo M, Secka O, Ofori-Anyinam B, et al. (2016) PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases DOI:10.1371/journal.pntd.0004408
• Immunogenic Mycobacterium africanum strains associated with ongoing transmission in The Gambia. Gehre F, Antonio M, Otu JK, Sallah N, Secka O, Faal T, Owiafe P, Sutherland JS, Adetifa IM, Ota MO, Kampmann B, Corrah T, de Jong BC. Emerg Infect Dis. 2013; 19: 1598- 1604.
• Good knowledge of handling and maintaining cell line cultures
• Confident in culture and isolation of bacterial pathogens as well as molecular techniques
• Skilled in PBMC separation, ELISA, Luminex and flow cytometry
• Competent in data analysis using flowjo, prism and excel
• Proficient with Microsoft Office package