Melbourne, FL 32901. linkedin.com/in/Aarthilakshmi Elangovan EDUCATION
TRP Engineering College (Tiruchirappalli, TN, India) July 2012 – May 2016 Bachelor of Engineering, Civil Engineering
Florida Institute of Technology (Melbourne, FL, USA) January 2018 – December 2019 Master of Science, Civil Engineering (Structural)
RELATED COURSE WORK
Adv. Reinforced Concrete Advanced Steel Design Foundation Design Bridge Design Timber Structures Finite Element Analysis Pavement Analysis Construction Cost Estimation Leading Construction Operations Quality Assurance OBJECTIVE
As a recent Civil Engineering graduate being in my OPT period, I am interested in any Entry-Level full-time position as I am willing to learn new opportunities with an interest in both Design and Management fields in Civil Engineering. I am also willing to relocate.
SOFT SKILLS: Effective Communication, Team Player, Time Management, Decision Making. HARD SKILLS: MS Excel, MS Office, MS Word, AutoCAD 3D, Revit Architecture, STAAD Pro, Primavera, MATHCAD, RISA 3D, ANSYS Workbench 19.0, Creo 6.0.
Design of Bridge - SR 22 Pleasant Road Over Lake Happy
• Gathered as a team to design a Short span steel girder bridge using AASHTO LRFD specifications and FDOT guidelines.
• Plans drafted using AutoCAD and Cost Estimation to build the bridge using BDR Estimate.
• Performed calculations of the Design of bridge parts and Evaluation using RISA 3D, MATHCAD and Excel. Advanced Steel Design
• Learned to design steel structures using AISC manual, 15th edition and using the textbook Unified Design of Steel Structures, 3rd edition.
• A Freestanding Overhead Crane Bridge with Hoist System was designed using the AISC Manual and the class materials.
• Computed Crane components forces using ANSYS and performed calculations by MATHCAD. Design of Timber Building
• Succeeded in the design of a two-story timber building for a civil engineering laboratory in the FIT campus.
• Produced the building design according to ASCE 7-10, AWC NDS (2012) specifications and Design of wood structures
Design of Cantilevered Sheet Pile
• A 22 feet high cantilevered sheet pile was designed by the given textbook designing method.
• Principles of Foundation engineering textbook was used. Visual Analysis of Pavement
• Participated in a team and the performance of the pavement road of Emory street was analyzed.
• Distress identification manual – FHWA was used for the analyses of pavement. Cost Estimation for Melbourne City Hall Building Project
• Merged in performing the Quantity Takeoff of materials for the building from the given detailed plan.
• Estimation of the cost for building the project was done by using RS Means (2018 Edition) and MS Excel. Design of residential building with earthquake resistance
• The design of a two-story earthquake residential building was achieved using the seismic design principle.
• Pursued the analysis of the building was using STAAD Pro software with Indian standard codes. Experimental Investigation of Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement
• Engaged in promoting the concept of Recycled Materials in the Construction of pavements.
• Headed the reprocessing of pavement materials specimens like asphalt and aggregates of different sizes were made with different combinations according to Indian Road Congress codes and tested in the laboratory and results were obtained.
Design Engineer - VSP Properties (Tiruchirappalli, India) May’17 – Aug’17
• Drafted plans and layout of residential buildings using AutoCAD 3D.
• Performed interior design using REVIT Architecture. Structural Engineer & Estimation - Kanishya Properties (Tiruchirappalli, India) Sep’17 – Nov’17
• Performed Structural analysis of residential buildings using STAAD Pro.
• Estimation of properties like residential buildings and commercial buildings. Cashier – Panther Dining Hall (Florida Tech, Melbourne, FL) Feb’18 – Dec’19
• Managed cash drawer and assisted transferring calls and queries to supervisors and managers.
• Guided students and customers as per needs in the dining room. Paper grader – Florida Institute of Technology (Melbourne, FL) Aug’19 – Dec’19
• Graded assignments for Introduction to Civil Engineering course.
• Graded assignments for Foundation Design Course. WORKSHOPS
• Volunteered at the International Festival at the Florida Institute of Technology. (February’19)
• Active ASCE member at Florida Institute of Technology participated in concrete canoe competition. (April’19)
• Attended 2019 Pile Driving Contractors Association Conference and Expo. (July’19)