Ashley E. Castro
Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY June 2016- June 2019 Doctorate of Physical Therapy
Major: Physical Therapy
Cumulative GPA: 3.58
Quinnipiac University, Hamden, CT August 2012- May 2016 Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences
Major: Health Sciences, Minor: Psychology
Healthcare Provider (CPR and AED) program February 2018 American Heart Association (expiration: February 2020) First Aide Certification, American Red Cross February 2018 AWARDS
Alpha Eta School of Health Sciences Honor Society November 2013- May 2016 EXPERIENCE
Professional Physical Therapy, New York, NY November 2019- Current Outpatient Orthopedic
• Performance of examinations and evaluations of patients with various orthopedic related conditions.
• Manual therapy techniques, including soft tissue mobilizations, massage, and joint mobilizations.
• Creation of patient specific plan of care and therapeutic exercises tailored to their impairments and functional limitations.
• Guidance and communication utilizing tactile, verbal, and manual cues to assist in the execution of therapeutic exercises and treatment ensuring appropriate mechanics and sequencing of muscle activation.
• Documentation of treatment sessions and evaluations using electronic medical charting system.
• Prescribing appropriate home exercise plans to enhance prognosis of patients’ condition.
• Collaborating with fellow physical therapists regarding most effective treatment options and immersion in continuing education courses.
Kidz Therapy Services, Garden City, NY March 2019- June 2019 Clinical Affiliation IV (school-based and outpatient pediatric)
• Worked within multiple school districts of Nassau county with children ranging from ages 5-18 years old carrying various diagnoses.
• Worked within an outpatient pediatric setting with preschool aged and early intervention children treating and assisting in the treatment of 10-13 children per day with diagnoses including autism, developmental delays, and Cerebral Palsy.
• Responsible for creating an appropriate plan of care, treatment, and annual goals.
• Efficiently completed daily documentation, examinations, and evaluations utilizing screening tools, including the BOT-2 and Peabody Developmental Motor Scale.
• Assessed Child’s progression towards established goals and completed annual reports. Cerebral Palsy Association of Nassau County, Roosevelt, NY January 2019-March 2019 Clinical Affiliation III (school-based pediatric)
• Independently (with supervision) worked within a school based pediatric physical therapy setting treating 8-10 children a day with various diagnoses, including CP, down syndrome, spina bifida, developmental delays, PURA syndrome, and leukodystrophy.
• Responsible for creating an appropriate plan of care, structured treatment sessions, and completion of documentation for each session.
•Effectively utilized Neuro-Developmental Therapy techniques to facilitate normal postural alignment and movement patterns while initiating transitions and gait training.
• Collaborated with a multidisciplinary team (OT, ST, LCSW, and LCP) through frequent communication and sharing of resources in order to make a comprehensive assessment of the child’s condition and ensure effective patient outcomes.
•Facilitated the development of effective gait training strategies and communicated directly with the orthotist to improve gait impairments.
Community Care Companion September 2018- January 2019 Home Help Aide
• Worked as a home help aide for a 8 year old boy diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy.
• Responsible for helping with ADLs, such as toileting, bathing, dressing, and feeding.
• Assisted with the utilization of appropriate communication devices and assistive mobility devices. Ivy Rehab Physical Therapy, Waterbury, CT June 2018- August 2018 Clinical Affiliation II (outpatient)
• Independently treated and assisted in the treatment of patients with various orthopedic conditions, such as hip and knee replacements, ACL repairs, spinal fusions, and lower back pain conditions.
• Responsible for patient set-up, treatment, and documentation of PT sessions.
• Received experience with conducting examinations, evaluations, and specialized tests & measures in an outpatient setting.
• Created patient specific therapeutic exercises programs and performed manual therapy using Mulligan techniques.
• Set-up patients using various modalities including TENS, ultrasound, iontophoresis, phonophoresis, and ice/heat.
•Gained experience with performing myofascial releases, soft tissue mobilizations, joint mobilizations, and strain-counterstrain techniques.
Shady Knolls, Seymour, CT August 2017- October 2017 Clinical Affiliation I (skilled nursing facility)
• Worked within an subacute nursing and rehabilitation center assisting in the treatment of patients ranging from age 24 to 95 years old with various diagnoses.
•Gained experience performing examinations, creating therapeutic exercise programs, and gait/ stair training while ensuring proper safety precautions.
•Gained experience reviewing medical charts and communicating with a multidisciplinary team on a daily basis.
•Assessed patient’s balance using the Berg Balance scale and Tinetti balance test in order to work towards fall prevention and enhancement of functional mobility. Stamford Hospital Van Munching Rehabilitation Center, Stamford, CT June 2015- August 2015 Volunteer
•Posted and organized patients’ daily schedules in their rooms for the following day's physical therapy, speech therapy and occupational therapy sessions.
•Maintained a safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules and regulation for safety and sanitation.
•Provided the therapists with the equipment and supplies they would need and delivering these items to the treatment area.
• Assisted with the transferring of patients for their therapy sessions. SKILLS & INTERESTS
• Communication skills:
• Proficient in active communication with colleagues in order to achieve mutual goals and collaboratively work together.
• Able to effectively communicate with patients and family members in an appropriate manner using layman terminology.
• Computer skills and documentation:
• Quick learner with computers and different types of documentation systems.
• Time management:
• Able to complete tasks and responsibilities within a timely manner.
• Able to manage time in PT setting when working with patients.
• Able to stay organized in order to efficiently complete tasks and complete professional responsibilities in a timely manner.
• Interests: Cooking, traveling, hiking, and participating in community volunteer work (NY Cares)