A UX/Human Factors Researcher, passionate about studying human behavior and limitations to improve the usability and efficiency of the products, system or services that they interact with. LinkedIn Portfolio
US Permanent Resident
UX and Human Factors Projects/ X-Lab, ASU
08/2018 - Present, Mesa, AZ (Lab Lead: Dr. Russell Branaghan)
• Hyundai Infotainment Prototype: In order to optimize the usability of the infotainment system, our team conducted a heuristic evaluation and task analysis to define issues, created a user journey map. I designed and moderated the usability testing including scripts, tasks and questions with 6 participants. We implemented our findings into wireframes and delivered the final report to Hyundai.
• WaterSim Arizona: We conducted in-depth focus group interviews with 20 participants and found 100% of the users had usability issues when interacting with the model. I was in charge of creating an interactive prototype with the findings. We conducted a usability testing with 4 participants to refine user interface issues. Our research helped to simplify the instruction and user flow of the model.
• ConversationExchange.com (an individual project): In order to enhance user satisfaction of the website, I conducted a heuristic evaluation (247 guidelines) and user survey with 12 users to define the site’s usability problems. I created an interactive prototype to adjust the issues and conducted a usability testing with 7 users to refine problems.
• Lab Scheduling App (ongoing): The goal is to create a scheduling mobile app to better manage research projects and staff for labs or organizations. I was in charge of conducting primary research, including contextual inquiry with 5 organizations to identify issues and needs. Our team conducted secondary research such as comparative and competitive analysis, created paper prototype and wireframes.
Research Assistant/ Cognitive Engineering Research Institute 08/2018 – 01/2020, Mesa, AZ (Lab Lead: Dr. Nancy Cooke)
• In charge of recruiting participants and scheduling experiments for the simulation lab.
• Conducted 33 experiments with 66 participants in an Unmanned Aerial Systems context under degraded conditions.
• Measured and evaluated Human–Autonomy team performance
(coordination, situation awareness, verbal behavior), team trust & resilience, workload, heart rate (ECG), eye tracking.
• Data analysis (ANOVA, Regression).
UX Researcher Intern/ Low Five LLC
11/2017 – 03/2018, Berkeley, CA
• Conducted in-depth qualitative interviews with 20 video game players to identify and analyze gamers’ preference and gaming experience in order to develop new mobile games.
Communications Strategy and Marketing Manager/ Nansha College Preparatory Academy
08/2015 – 08/2017, Guangzhou, China
• Created web-based promotional materials, published 128 articles and videos to promote NCPA events and classroom experiences, resulted in an increase of subscriptions from 600 to 20k+.
• Built NCPA official WeChat channel (a popular Chinese social media), optimized usability of interactive features, provided related information, and payment service for subscribers.
Project Manager/ Qilekang Healthcare
06/2014 – 07/2015, Guangzhou, China
• Designed and executed marketing plans and materials to be distributed in 10,000+ packages/day.
• Conducted marketing research to determine marketing strategy and integrated research findings into improving Qilekang Healthcare mobile app designs with other teams.
Master of Science in User Experience
Arizona State University, Mesa, AZ,
Bachelor of Economics in Meeting,
Incentive, Convention & Exhibition
Guangzhou University, Guangzhou,
China, June 2013
Johnson, C. J., Demir, M., Zabala, G. M.,
He, H., Grimm, D. A., Radigan, C., Wolf,
A. T., Cooke, N. J., McNeese, N. J., &
Gorman, J. C.. Training and Verbal
Communications in Human–Autonomy
Teaming Under Degraded Conditions.
2020 IEEE Conference on Cognitive and
Computational Aspects of Situation
Task Analysis & Heuristic Evaluation
Usability Testing & Remote Usability
Personas & User Journey Maps Creation
Comparative & Competitive Analysis
Qualitative & Quantitative Data Analysis
A/B Testing & Card Sorts
Paper & Interactive Prototype
Mockup & Wireframe
UserZoom, R, SPSS, MAXQDA,
Adobe XD, InDesign, Illustrator
Dimension & Photoshop
English, Mandarin, Cantonese.
Hongbei He UX Researcher 2020 2/2
Marketing Specialist/ Hanna Tech
11/2013 – 06/2014, Guangzhou, China
• Collaborated with IT teams to create an application that offered after school courses/activities for children.
• Coordinated programs with companies that had courses and activities. User Support Consultant/ Beijing Facishare
10/2012 – 11/2013, Beijing, China
• Provided exceptional technical customer support, collaborated with IT teams to design, implement and support solutions for customers.
• Maintained an owner follow-up system that encouraged repeating and referral business and contributed to customer satisfaction, loyalty and long-term clientele.
• Provided analysis of customer environment and value perception to grow the service business, worked with the sales team on contract renewal negotiation.
Customer Training Intern/ Alibaba
04 – 09/2012, Guangzhou, China
• Managed logistics and facilitated online training programs and workshops to provide support and improve business efficiency to clients.
• Communicated with product managers, engineers and sales personnel to gather resource materials for training programs.
• Assisted in conducting data analysis and research to identify advanced training projects to ensure the training is seen as effective, value-added and engaging for its participants.