Lorraine A. Broertjes
Forward-thinking, self-directed, deadline-oriented professional who thrives in fast-paced, unique environments. Capable of managing a large volume of work and quickly adapting to change. Possesses excellent attention to detail, diligence and collegiality. Demonstrates a hands-on leadership style. Experienced with social media management, search engine optimization and various content management systems. Education
Kent State University – Kent, OH
B.A., Journalism; Minor, French
The News Literacy Project – Remote Jan.-Feb. 2020 (interim assignment) Content editor/fact checker
• In-depth editing and fact checking of grant requests, newsletters, press releases and media materials. BioNewsServices – Remote 2018 – 2019
Digital copy editor (full time)
• Technical editing and intensive fact-checking to preserve accuracy and scientific validity of reports on clinical trials, research studies, news on development and approval of therapies and related topics. Re- writing science-oriented copy into layman’s terms.
• Edit and collaborate with regular columnists; craft SEO-friendly headlines and keywords.
• Collaborate with global team of writers, editors and scientists in a virtual environment using Slack. The Miami Herald – Miami, FL 2018 – 2019
Sports copy editor (part time)
• Edit, aggregate wire services, and write headlines and cutlines for daily sports section.
• Previously managed Twitter and Facebook accounts for sports, helping craft headlines and copy for best practices SEO. Monitored trending topics and news with tools including Chartbeat and CrowdTangle. Sun Sentinel – Fort Lauderdale, FL
Assistant News Editor 2017 – 2018
• Produced print newspaper with responsibilities including editing, page design and headline writing.
• Kept current with breaking news and made quick decisions regarding stories. Night City Editor 2011 – 2017
• Managed SunSentinel.com news content and edited stories for print.
• Supervised a police reporter and managed breaking news.
• Sent text alerts for breaking news and managed Twitter and Facebook accounts.
• Ensured functionality of website and resolved technical issues. Senior Copy Editor 2001 – 2011
• Edited for daily sports section and special sections.
• Supervised sports desk several times a week, managing page flow, breaking news and reporters. Coordinator, Next Generation 1999 – 2001
• Ran a program for high school students, producing two pages of student-generated content each week.
• Completed payroll for approximately 100 students.
• Coordinated summer intern program for 6-10 students, with internship training and mentoring. The Miami Herald – Miami, FL
Suburban Copy Desk Chief 1988 – 1999
• Copy desk chief for Dade County Neighbors suburban sections.
• Oversaw a full-time staff of three and three part-time employees to produce 14 sections per week.
• Administered payroll and contributed to evaluations.
• Helped cover staffing shortages by filling in as content editor and reporter.
• Edited copy and designed sections for state desk, Home and Design, and Broward County local.