STEVEN J. KAYE, ESQ.
Senior Operations Executive
Organizational Growth Resource Maximization Business Development EXECUTIVE PROFILE
Accomplished operations executive with demonstrated success driving profitable growth through operational oversight and transformational leadership. Excels at identifying initiatives for improvement and executing strategies that achieve organizational excellence. Ability to see the complete strategic picture and align operational imperatives with corporate goals across multiple departments. Dedicated to building and advancing key partnerships and leading cross-functional teams to deliver results. Leverages diverse business and legal expertise to accelerate growth and maximize profits. Recognized for consistently realizing value for stakeholders. Areas of Expertise
Strategic Planning Process Improvement Change Management Cost Reduction Operations Management Product Management Budget Management Research & Development P&L Management Data Analytics Sales Strategy Employee Development Programs Legal Advisement & Guidance Team Building & Leadership CAREER ACHIEVEMENTS
• Transformation: Created and implemented a strategic model at Home Surplus that grew the company from eight employees to 29, and from two locations to three. Transformed AJ Madison’s retail sales approach from individualistic to team-focused and efficient, lowering costs by 33% and increasing revenue by 40%.
• Revenue Growth: Crafted a strategy that increased AJ Madison’s retail sales by $5 million to $29 million (19%) in 2017, with sales growing by nearly $12 million to $40 million (40%) in 2018. Created Amazon and other e-commerce sales channels at King Zak, generating $4 million+ in additional annual sales.
• Product Innovation & Expansion: Formalized processes launching 35 new products annually at King Zak. Created a quality assurance department for 500+ globally manufactured products.
• Practice Development: Leveraged business expertise to start and grow an educational and entertainment company, Creation By Design. Grew to 125+ products, $2 million in annual revenue, and placement in 7,000+ stores globally.
• Market & Thought Leadership: Built a personal injury law firm, SJK Associates, finding value in high volume, lower dollar value injury cases requiring a lower cost outlay. Created a multimillion-dollar firm that was sold. PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Home Surplus, LLC Keyport, NJ 2018–Present
Chief Operating Officer
Executive Board member of a leading 40-year-old retailer of home finishing products with three locations in New Jersey
(Keyport, Bellmawr, and North Bergen) and $16 million in sales. Advise senior leadership and execute the strategy of the Board. Direct departments and managers across sales, warehousing & inventory, design, marketing, merchandising, HR & recruiting (hiring, terminations, payroll, company handbook, health insurance), and purchasing at the executive level. Plan, implement, and direct company growth for three facilities. Oversee facilities management, signage, merchandising, marketing, e-commerce, showroom, and building redesign. Create and lead programs to drive revenue.
• Overhauled the sales department, growing staff from eight to 29; hired and trained 15+ employees in seven newly created roles.
• Redesigned systems and processes implementing Lean business practices; substantially increased productivity and efficiency while enabling an increase of store hours by 15 hours (30%) weekly (open seven days).
• Built from inception and opened a third location; integrated several streams of new product departments to increase sales and improve position within the home finishing space.
• Created new departments, including HR & recruiting, design management, e-commerce, warehouse & inventory control, and business development; involved with identifying other businesses to acquire. Steven J. Kaye, Esq. 2
AJ Madison Brooklyn, NY 2017–2018
Director of Retail Operations
Held executive-level accountability for operations, sales, merchandising, and display for a showroom initiative of the largest online retailer of kitchen and laundry appliances. Provided oversight and direction for retail sales and operations. Created and led initiatives and programs to drive profitable growth. Led a sales team of 17, orchestrated merchandising and display, and directed showroom operations.
• Overhauled the sales department; redesigned systems and processes to implement Lean business practices that substantially increased productivity and efficiency.
• Developed and executed a transformational sales strategy that grew revenue by $5 million to $29 million (19%) in 2017, with sales growing by nearly $12 million to $40 million (40%) in 2018.
• Generated sales with the coordination of a $40 million product showroom comprising 1,000+ products; designed display system to reflect sales and market trends. King Zak Industries Goshen, NY 2013–2017
Director of Operations and Resource Management
Created and implemented strategic reorganization of sales, marketing, and operations departments for a manufacturer and distributor of products for events, catering, and industrial arenas. Led operational vision, aligning resources with objectives across multiple departments. Facilitated and managed all departments throughout the organization.
• Revamped sales, operations, and marketing; initiated systems that drove sales and cut costs, time, and manpower.
• Oversaw human resources, trade show, merchandising, online sales, showroom, and facilities departments.
• Created and implemented new tactical business procedures and methods resulting in $4 million in new sales.
• Doubled SKUs during tenure and expanded business lines into new territories; introduced and integrated multiple outside sales forces.
• Led the launch of a new ERP system and CRM program; raised system quality and efficiency by significantly improving collaboration and communication between all departments.
• Instituted lean initiatives; streamlined processes that slashed costs by $2 million+ while advancing efficiency.
• Leveraged legal expertise as in-house counsel; oversaw and advised on vendor negotiations and contracts.
• Identified the need for and created an intellectual property program to protect 250+ unique product designs. Vion Municipal Capital, LLC Teaneck, NJ 2011–2012 Consulting Director
Developed and oversaw a new municipal debt department offering innovative financing solutions for local governments. Created systems to lobby government agencies and to purchase, monitor, and realize government receivables.
• Analyzed the viability of a new revenue stream for debt purchasing.
• Created methodology for growing government revenue for business projects. Creation By Design Teaneck, NJ 2006–2013
Founder & Chief Creative Officer
Conceptualized, founded, and operated a company creating and distributing children’s art and collectibles. Drove sales of 125+ products carried in 7,000+ stores globally. Cultivated relationships with clients, vendors, employees, and experts, including major distribution chains (Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Mardel, Family Christian). Created processes to manage operations and ensure continued productivity, efficiency, and quality.
• Designed and executed a national marketing campaign, including media, PR, and numerous trade shows.
• Led customer service initiatives, managed distribution channels, and serviced retail and ecommerce customers. Steven J. Kaye Associates, PC Brooklyn, NY 1998–2006 Founder & Managing Partner
Began as a solo practitioner and grew the firm into a thriving plaintiff personal injury firm with five attorneys and 15+ support staff. Created and managed all operational processes. Solely accountable for HR, business budgeting, forecasting, and managing operating and escrow accounts. Applied strong business development, client relations, marketing, negotiation, arbitration, mediation, and litigation skills to drive growth and generate $8 million in revenue. Directed every aspect of the firm, including managing 4,500+ client matters during tenure. Sold the firm in 2006.
• Conceptualized and orchestrated a successful and efficient grassroots marketing program.
• Created marketing materials, letters, updates, and client care materials; drafted all legal documents.
• Instituted a customer service initiative to generate positive word of mouth. Steven J. Kaye, Esq. 3
Law Offices of Helen F. Dalton Forest Hills, NY 1997–1998 Senior Associate
Solely accountable for the prosecution of personal injury litigation from intake through trial. Negotiated, settled, mediated, or arbitrated hundreds of cases to client satisfaction. Generated $2 million for the firm in the first year. Office of the District Attorney New York County & Rockland County 1996–1997 Student Assistant District Attorney
Assisted in the prosecution, arraignment, and preparation of many cases for criminal trial (child abuse division and special projects).
Justice Stephen G. Crane, New York State Supreme Court New York, NY 1995 Judicial Intern
Researched and wrote draft opinions on a broad range of civil and criminal law. Raker Public Relations New York, NY 1992–1993
Proposed public relations strategies and wrote press releases. Marketed clients to a broad range of media outlets. American Committee for the Weizmann Institute of Science New York, NY 1992 Intern, Public Relations
Developed press releases and influenced editors to publish them in daily/weekly publications. Created a database for daily/weekly newspapers and magazines.
JD Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, New York, NY BA, Sociology, Drama & Communications Yeshiva University, New York, NY AA, Talmudic Studies Yeshiva University, New York, NY Certifications
• Six Sigma Green Belt Certification
• Six Sigma DFSS Lean Certification
• Continuing Legal Education, Member in Good Standing for New York and New Jersey Admissions & Affiliations
• New York State, New Jersey State, and District of Columbia Bar Admissions
• Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, District of New Jersey, United States Supreme Court
• American Bar Association and New York State Bar Association COMMUNITY LEADERSHIP
Planning Board of the Township of Teaneck, NJ
Secretary, 2010–2015; Member, 2007–2015
Environmental Commission of the Township of Teaneck, NJ Planning Board Liaison, 2012–2015
Young Israel of Teaneck, Teaneck, NJ
Board Member, 2010–2011