David Valls +1-207-***-****
Master of Arts (MA) in Global Policy – Concentration Trade and Commerce. (2017-2020) School of Policy and International Affairs. University of Maine, Orono, ME (GPA 3.7). Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Financial Management (2013-2017) Husson University, Bangor, ME. – Summa Cum Laude (GPA 3.83). International Exchange Student. (2016)
Kookmin University, Seoul, South Korea. Explored Korean language, culture, economy and business studies. RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE
Assistant Community Coordinator (ACC) – University of Maine. (07/17–05/20)
• Select, train, supervise, and evaluate 7 Resident Assistants, one Lead Student Employee - Resident Assistants.
• Engage and participate in all department meetings with university officials.
• Leadership role with problem solving, conflict and crisis strategies for a better community of residents.
• Manage facilities, resident concerns, and day-to-day operations of residence halls with over 300 students.
• Manage budgets for community building/programming.
• Facilitate weekly staff meetings and weekly one-on-ones with resident and graduate assistant staff. Graduate Research Intern – Swordfish Consulting International, LLC. (01/20–05/20)
• Analyze “Patterns of Apocalyptic Charisma” where a team of four worked together in identifying patterns in language and rhetoric of leaders of a defined religious group that commits violent act(s), contributing to the mobilization/participation of individuals.
• Foundational Research and Contributing to Countering and Preventing Violence Extremism (CVE & PVE) Graduate Fellow – Cohen Institute for Leadership & Public Service, University of Maine. (08/19–05/20)
• Prepared and coordinated the annual Cohen Lecture with high-level guests including Former Secretary of State John F. Kerry, and Former Secretary of Defense William S. Cohen. 2019 Lecture received 1,400 attendees.
• Market and promote of the institute’s programs including; Cohen Lecture, Projects for Peace, minor in Leadership studies and a Washington DC travel course.
• Managed Institute’s website by publishing, editing and updating content using WordPress. 5th Committee Advisor - Trainee – European Union Delegation to United Nations, New York. (05/2018–12/18)
• Collaborated with the EU Financial Negotiation Team in budget negotiations for the UN peacekeeping ($6.69B).
• Conducted deep analysis on arrears and strategy development according to payment plans of Member States
• Analyzed contributions and assessments of EU Member States ($18bn) and all UN Member States ($44bn).
• Assisted the European Commission President, Mr. Jean Claude Juncker, with confidential documents.
• Developed strong relationship between high-profile diplomats among many countries as part of negotiation strategy. Summer Program Director – Husson University Summer English Enrichment Program, Bangor, ME (09/14–08/17)
• Coordinated cultural events, managed $60,000 program budget, negotiated all contracts for services including transportation, activities, and meals with at least $10,000 net profit per program. Supervised 3 full-time staff.
• Negotiated with local businesses to partner with the program saving 33% of expected cost. Totally over $20,000.
• Arranged transportations and logistics for the students including flights, local transportations, schedules, and lodging.
• Developed a strong international partnership agreement between Husson University in the USA and Kookmin University in South Korea with contracts of exchange for students for academic year and Summer. Founder and Program Director – Husson University Global Business Institute. (01/17–05/17)
• Designed and facilitated a 4-week summer institute for 25 international students.
• Developed a strong partnership between international universities by recruiting, marketing, and contract agreement.
• Negotiated, partnered and built relations with local businesses for events, promotion and involvement in the program.
• Developed a strong partnership between the College of Business and the International Department.
• Secured $100,000 funding and supervised 10 staff. Information Technology (IT) Support Assistant – Husson University. (08/16–06/17)
• Provided technical support with Interactive Compressed Video (ICV) in the distance and online education.
• Applied technological problem-solving strategies to ensure the satisfaction of all users. Department Assistant – Husson University Office of Advancement, Development and Alumni. (02/13–01/16)
• Researched, contacted, and met with Alumni and Trustee leadership to encourage donations.
• Managed records and safeguard confidential information including Raisers’ Edge database Lexis Nexis’.
• Supported fiscal accuracy and accountability by providing first-level review of incoming requests for payment (RFPs) and reimbursements, and post-processing audits of payments.
• Strategic planning for the development of a $24M endowment fundraising campaign.
• Supported the Vice President of the department on his everyday meetings.
• Relationship making - bridge builder - between high prospect donors and the university with $50,000 on direct fundraising from a single prospect
Independent Student – Financing Terrorism. (01/20–05/20) Research financing strategies and money laundering methods used by terrorist organization. Deep analyze into money laundering, charities, trusts and funds, international transfers and shell companies in their role of financing terrorism.
Graduate Intern – Swordfish Consulting International. (01/20–05/20) Analyze “Patterns of Apocalyptic Charisma” where a team of four worked together in identifying patterns in language and rhetoric of leaders of a defined religious group that commits violent act(s), contributing to the mobilization/participation of individuals.
Analyst – International Stock Index. Independent Study. (01/17–05/17) Researched the top 30 most influential companies in the world and performed an in-depth study on their stocks in relation to their performance and their impact on the global economy. Member Management Team – School-Sponsored Stock Portfolio Management. Husson University. (2015–2017) Managed $250,000 stock portfolio with 8% returns in one year. Investment in over 50 diversified stocks. LANGUAGES
Spanish – Native (writing, speaking, reading)
English – Native (writing, speaking, reading)
American Sign Language (ASL) – Basic
Korean – Basics
HONORS & AWARDS
• Conflict Resolution and Ensuring Access to Justice in Developing Nations. Columbia Law School. (2018)
• Leadership and Conflict Resolution: Leading Self and Leading Others. Columbia Law School. (2018)
• Briefing for Delegates on the 73rd Session of the General Assembly & the Main Committees. (UNITAR). (2018)
• Fifth Committee Course for New Delegates. United Nations Institute for Training and Research. (UNITAR). (2018)
• School of Policy and International Affairs (SPIA) Board of Advisors Fellowship. University of Maine. (2017–2018)
• Board of Advisors Graduate Fellowship – School of Policy and International Affairs. University of Maine. (2017)
• International Honor Society for Business, Management, and Administration – Sigma Beta Delta. (2017)
• President’s List – Husson University. (2013–2017)
• Global Scholarship – Husson University. (2013–2017)
• Global Korean Scholarship, National Institute for International Education (NIIE). (2016)
• Excellence in School of Business and Management Award. College of Business – Husson University. (2014) COMMUNITY SERVICE
University of Maine – Co-Hosting International Dance Festival. University of Maine – Ski and Snowboard Advisor.
University of Maine – LGBTQ and Alliances Committee. University of Maine – Sexual Assault and Violence Committee. University of Maine – Student Conduct Committee.
Husson University – Sustainability Committee.
Husson University – Spanish Instructor for the health students going on missions’ trip in Latin America. BUSINESS SKILLS.
abilities. Initiative and Consumer
Behavior. Client Management.
Community Engagement. Project
Management. Event Planning.
Public Speaking. Strategic
Multilateralism and International
Strategy. Partnership and
Microsoft Office. Mac OS.
Windows. Google Docs.
Prezi. RStudio. LexisNexis.
Agora. EEAS system. UN E-
Delegate. NVIVO. Eurostat.
Raiser's Edge. WordPress.
Colleen Grover - Former Director of International Initiatives Husson University
Shane Smith – Area Coordinator
University of Maine
Andrea S. Bowen – Director
University of Maine
Peter Madigan – Board Chair
William S. Cohen Institute for Leadership and Public Service University of Maine
Jan De Preter – Head of Section
Fifth Committee – Management and Budget
European Union Delegation to United Nations in New York firstname.lastname@example.org