Dr. Celvin “CG” Walwyn
Dear Human Resources Director,
It is with great interest that I submit the enclosed resume in response to your search for a seasoned Police Executive to join your police department. I am currently appointed as Deputy Commissioner of Police Operations for the U.S. Virgin Islands Police Department where I supervise the two-district police chiefs. Our team realized an 11% drop in violent crime in our first 12 months. With more than 20 years of experience in public safety, crime prevention, officer training/management, and program leadership, I am confident I will make an immediate impact upon stepping into this position. Throughout my professional life, I have leveraged my skills in investigation, patrol, administration, reporting, and community engagement to tackle crime reduction and case management. I began my career as a full-time Peace Officer with the Harris County Sheriff Department. At various agencies throughout my career, I have moved up the ranks through supervisory positions at the detective, sergeant, lieutenant, interim chief of police, deputy commissioner of police, and commissioner of police levels. I have acquired experience in departments such as patrol, crime, sex offenders, intel, training, and narcotics. This progression culminated in my appointment as the Commissioner of Police for the Royal St. Christopher and Nevis Police Force in 2011, reporting directly to the Prime Minister of the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis and operating under general guidance from the Permanent Secretary in the Office of the Ministry of National Security. During our tenure in the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis, our team realized a 30% reduction in violent crime, to include homicides, over 36 months. Furthermore, I possess a steadfast dedication to my work, devoting up to 14 hours a day to pursuing department excellence and remaining on call virtually 24 hours a day. My family and I are relocating to the area and I am prepared to put my background, talents, and commitment to your department’s benefit as your next Police Executive.
Some highlights of my strengths and offerings include the following:
• Targeted evolving priorities as Deputy Commissioner of Police—including violent crime and gun violence reduction, gang operations, community engagement/relations, officer recruitment and training, budgeting, and technology/equipment upgrades—while overseeing the U.S. Virgin Islands Police Department staffed by 400 employees and operating with an annual budget of ~$72M.
• Targeted evolving priorities as Commissioner of Police—including violent crime and gun violence reduction, gang operations, community engagement/relations, officer recruitment and training, budgeting, and technology/equipment upgrades—while overseeing the Royal St. Christopher and Nevis Police Force staffed by 432 employees and operating with an annual budget of ~$12M.
• Oversaw operations encompassing Records/Evidence, Personnel and Human Resources, Research/Crime Analysis, Facilities Management, Criminal Investigations, Public Information, and Patrol Division.
• Instituted professional performance and ethical standards while defining policies for inappropriate conduct and rolling out new policies focused on cultural sensitivity and awareness.
• Introduced the M.A.G.I.C. program to achieve measurable delinquency improvements with at-risk youth.
• Foster, maintain, and elevate relationships with the faith-based community and our community in general.
• Multilingual with fluency in Spanish and Caribbean dialects.
• Doctoral degree in Public Safety with a Specialization in Leadership from Capella University
• Master’s degree in Security Management from Bellevue University.
• Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice from Bellevue University. I am confident my background as a highly experienced veteran law enforcement leader will be extremely beneficial to the police department, and I look forward to leveraging my education and experience to ensure public safety within your jurisdiction. Thank you for your time and consideration; I look forward to speaking with you soon.