• Professional Experience: More than ten years’ extensive industrial experience with embedded system development, automotive system design, multi-processor system design and test, wireless communication development, analog/digital/RF hardware design, EMI/EMC compliance testing, Linux device driver and application development.
• Technical Skills: (1) Expertise in high speed protocols such as CAN, FPD-Link III, GMSL, PCI Express, USB, SATA, TCP/IP, A2B, I2S.
(2) In-depth knowledge of ECU, FPGA/ARM hardware design, automotive electronics, firmware and application development, functional safety.
(3) Solid knowledge in high speed PCB design, microwave electronic circuit, CMOS and RF technology.
(4) Strong background in electromagnetic theory, RF and Communication, transmission line, signal and power integrity, crosstalk, ground bounce, jitter and simultaneous switching noise (SSN) analysis.
(5) Broad experience in wireless communication with WI-FI, Bluetooth/BLE, RF, IoT, network access device (NAD).
• Mathematic Simulation/Modeling: Matlab, Simulink, Ansoft HFSS, Ansoft Designer, Maxwell 2D field simulator, COSMOL Multiphysics (2D/3D electromagnetic simulator).
• Measuring/Testing: Network/Spectrum Analyzer, Digital Oscilloscope, Time Domain Reflectometer.
• Circuit Design/Simulation: Altium Designer, Mentor Graphics Xpedition, QuestaSim/ModelSim, Cadence, Vivado simulator for FPGA simulation, PSPICE circuit analysis.
• Programming/Scripting: C/C++, VHDL/Verilog, Java, Tcl/Tk, Python, Shell (Bash), Assembly language.
• Strong verbal and written skills in both English and Chinese.
Hardware Engineer Specialist Valeo Inc., Troy, MI 2017 to present
• Led the design of telematics system based on NXP i.MX8 processor, dedicated short-range communication (DSRC) and cellular vehicle-to-everything (C-V2X) single chip modem, NAD, GNSS, CODEC, WI-FI, Bluetooth.
• Prototyped high precision GNSS positioning system with multi-band GNSS, IMU, RTK correction for automated car, lane navigation and V2X applications (demoed in CES 2020).
• Analyzed the RF signal of V2X and conducted preliminary regulatory certification with spectrum and network analyzers. Tested communication range of real V2X systems to determine the system satisfaction of range standard.
• Worked on variety of RFI/RFQ (hardware architecture, requirements deliverability, etc). Generated bill of materials (BOM) and conducted the budgetary cost calculation for assuring business success.
• Developed template tool for RF path power budget estimation to coordinate the system design for meeting the RF range and power standards.
• Implemented RF and LF signal relay attack system for demonstrating the functional defect of remote car key fob.
Senior Hardware Engineer Autoliv Electronics, Southfield, MI 2016 to 2017
• Managed the design of Advanced Driver Assistant System (ADAS) central ECU system based on Xilinx Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC and Infineon Aurix microprocessor. Verified individual system functionalities (FPD-Link III, GMSL, SD, CAN, Ethernet, PCIe, I2C).
• Implemented real-time FFT processing of raw radar data in FPGA and transmitted the result (through DMA) to LPDDR4 for further processing with ARM cores (both FPGA and ARM cores are in Xilinx UltraScale+ MPSoC).
• Designed FPGA simulation system using Xilinx Vivado software. Created multiple radar and camera simulation data based on CSI-2 protocol for expediting real system development.
• Converted radar AD results to CSI-2 format using Lattice CrossLink FPGA. Generated real test pattern inside FPGA for system level verification and functional safety.
Senior Hardware Engineer A&D Technology Inc., Ann Arbor, MI 2012 to 2016
Hardware Engineer 2008 to 2012
• Chaired the design of FPGA and ARM (Xilinx Zynq) for high-speed acquisition and real-time data processing system. Executed FPGA architecture, RTL coding, verification and timing constraints analysis. Designed Ethernet, SD, USB, UART, CAN standard interfaces for data storage and system communications.
• Engineered standard PCI Express extension card over optical fiber or metal cable based on PCI express switch and Altera FPGA. Designed FPGA firmware which included PCI express, Serial Lite II IPs for high speed data communication. Developed Linux device drive and application for data communication (through DMA) bandwidth, latency verification.
• Initiated the idea on fiber optical PCI express communication and implemented it with prototype and evaluation board. Investigated the bandwidth and latency of multi-system data sharing using non-transparent fiber optical PCI Express technology.
• Mentored high power (100V/5A per channel, total 16 channels) H-bridge motor drive module board. Developed fast response analog over-current protection circuit for motor protection. Created Simulink module for application usage.
• Researched on high precision battery cycling test. Developed PID control algorithms for both temperature (inside thermal chamber) and battery cycling current to achieve high battery discharge/charge precision with standard (non-high precision) battery cycler.
• Managed EMI/EMC compliance test of multi-processor (8 CPUs with 4 cores each) system. Coordinated customized heatsink design due to limited space. Developed functional evaluation board (based on Xilinx Spartan FPGA), including Linux device driver and application development.
• Designed de-serialization board based on Altera Cyclone III FPGA for interpolating Intel Low Pin Count (LPC) protocol. Supplied interface connection to logic analyzer and communication to PC through USB for intensive debugging.
Research Assistant The University of Akron, Akron, OH 2004 to 2008
• Initiated electromagnetic field enhancement (GHz range) methodology in optical nanolenses by simulating metallic cascade spherical particles with HFSS. Researched the effects to the electromagnetic field of substrate (SiO2) in bottom of nanolenses structure.
• Designed 3D multilayer model of protein-solvent system for analyzing electrostatic fields. Applied innovative numerical method to the model and achieved better accuracy compared with finite element method (FEM) and finite different (FD) method.
The University of Akron, Akron, OH
Ph.D. in Electrical & Computer Engineering 2009
Dissertation: Simulation of Multiobject Nanoscale Systems
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
Graduate study in Biosystems Engineering 2002 to 2003
Huazhong University of Science & Technology, Wuhan, China
Master of Science in Electrical Engineering 2002
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering 1997
Employment status: U.S. Green Card