FINANCE TRANSFORMATION FP&A STRATEGIC FINANCE PROGRAM MANAGEMENT M&A
+1-650-***-**** email@example.com linkedin.com/in/karanwalia1 Sunnyvale, US CAREER SUMMARY
Finance strategist and change agent, with over a decade experience of managing global P&L of upwards of $1Billion both as gatekeeper and advisor to achieve greater enhanced corporate performance and shareholder value. All accomplished by executing collaborative leadership style and use of quantitative and qualitative analytical financial tools by harnessing the value of data. Ability to effectively communicate with functional leaders across the business & board to guide and evaluate financial decisions including for M&A. Over a decade experience of leading and coaching finance and cross functional teams in matrix organisations both in onshore and offshore locations. Brings unique blend of technology and finance capabilities. Took a break to support my wife careers move to US and new-born, back in the market to find new exciting role in Finance. No sponsorship is required. Core competencies:
• Financial Planning & Forecasting
• Finance digital transformations
• Project Leadership & Delivery
• Strategy Planning & Execution
• Enterprise Performance
• Strategic Cost Optimization
• C-Suite Engagement
• Process Improvement
VICE PRESIDENT FINANCE & STRATEGY Sofyx Systems Private Limited, Delhi Apr 2018 – Nov 2019 Giving myself into entrepreneurial itch and do a hands-on role, joined the CXO team with Ex-Country Head of Apple Inc. India to lead business finance & strategy for the development of B2B2C digital software solution (SAAS) for high growth retail SME segment (2m+ outlets across India). Build a robust financial model,processes, reporting and SAAS matrix to support extensive growth
• Engineered & Owned 5-year financial plan, forecasting, and budgeting process for sales revenues, operating expenses, and balance sheet. Understood in-depth the assumptions and their effects on the budget and forecast
• Worked extensively with distributors, retailers and management team to understand the complex supply chain of the smartphone industry to build strategic revenue streams, quote to cash process, cost optimisation channels and tactical product features
• Formulated ROI models for Sales and Marketing to evaluate new retail channels and deals, pricing, promotions, and media program spend. Develop systems and scalable processes around management of revenue (AR), and payables (AP)
• On-ground negotiated and onboarded 500+ retailers to build subscription pricing and revenue models based on customer segmentation and regions to drive market penetration working closely with the product development team
• Negotiated a revenue model with a vendor to launch insurance product generating business value of more than $2m in 2 months
• In a ground-breaking speed just over a year launched six new product services, in a singular platform related to loyalty, E- commerce, insurance, payments, and lending by forming strategic finance partnerships with vendors and financial institutions FINANCE ADVISOR & ENTREPRENEUR Startup Boot Camp & Tech London Advocates, London Mar 2017 – Mar 2018 Transitioned to gain broader first-hand experience and micro trends to evolve strategic thinking on the potential of Fintech to banking through working with young fintech firms on various aspects such as go-to-market strategy, financial planning and pricing. Great learning towards the challenges you face while starting your own business and working with individual clients
• Dedicated around six months to entrepreneurial journey, relocated to India to study the feasibility of launching a Neo bank, decided not to proceed due to capital requirements and physical branch presence requirement.
• As part of Yes Bank accelerators, mentored multiple start-ups focused on alternative credit decision making, digital loan solutions and E-KYC and P2P payment, on sharpening product offering
• Prepared business & financial plans and contributed to preparation of pitch and external communication decks for start-ups
• Speaker at various conferences and forums, on topics related to the digital landscape and fintech impact on financial services GLOBAL FINANCE DIRECTOR M&A, NEWEDGE Société Générale Investment Banking, London Jun 2014 – Nov 2016 Promoted to a global leadership role responsible for heading multiple post-acquisition(M&A) finance integration projects & planning, of acquired businesses into Société Générale’s. Global complex projects spread across 24 countries focusing on strategy for large transformational initiatives including Customer & Product Level Profitability, Large Scale Infrastructure Investments (Cloud), Business Process Offshoring, Efficiency & Cost Management. Responsible for staff of 100+ with 11 direct reports. Presented progress reporting to CXO, Investor Relations, External auditors, Tax and Board
• Consolidated & Managed the integrated global financial planning and tracking of operating expenses, headcount reporting, monthly close support, quarterly forecasting, and variance analyses to product, business heads, CIO and board
• Improved how business decisions are made by re-designing executive finance reporting at department/product level, portfolio level and re-engineered the financial planning process for €700m+ budget made up of OPEX, CAPEX,125+ vendors & FTE
• Executed Target Operating Model (TOM), to deliver €32m EBITA enhancement & digital finance transformation agenda via transition to the cloud, restructuring, sourcing strategy, automation and contract renegotiations KARAN WALIA
• Led the project team to develop technical integration and the resolution of data quality issues, such as integrity, accuracy, consistency, and completeness, while financial plans are incorporated into ERP systems and SAP
• Exercised & planned the activity-based costing (ABC) model to identify profit-improvement opportunities in client profitability and rolled out robotic process automation (RPA) leading to €9.5m savings
• Developed shared service centre of excellence team to support technology and finance function including Quote to Cash and Record to Report business processes driving efficiency of €10m per year CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER (COO) & DIRECTOR FP&A EUROPE Société Générale Investment Bank, London Jun 2012 – Nov 2016 As high performer and relationship builder, promoted to become Exco member & COO of the Europe technology team reporting to CTO/CFO, acting as a conduit between business, finance & technology. Multi-faceted role with complete responsibility of Finance & project management office (PMO), budgeting, and forecasting for Europe. Direct reporting team of 22 members. Also, represented the bank at various Fintech forums to understand the evolving market trends and advisory to the executive team
• Orchestrated the process of alignment of IT portfolio to business strategy by defining target IT organizational chart, capital allocation decisions, headcount growth and sourcing strategy, presenting monthly reporting analysis at Exco and C-suite level
• Standardized, and automate regular financial reports by creating centralised finance digital cockpit with use of Tableau & MIS integration, revising cost management policies and headcount allocation process to drive €6.5M savings within a year of roll out
• Pioneered & successfully implemented Zero-based budgeting (ZBB)process in the third year of the role for financial forecasting and budgeting improved KPIs, 4000+ reduced staff-hours and $10m cost savings in year one
• Built a robust process around hiring, training plans, employee progression by working with HR and RPO team. Lead to enhanced 360 feedback and employee engagement scores in the yearly survey HEAD OF TECHNOLOGY FINANCE, EUROPE Société Générale Investment Bank, London Aug 2011 – Jun 2012 Headhunted to lead the financial planning & analysis (FP&A) team responsible to drive operating expense and capital spend. Drive new financial initiatives and setup processes to move away from the approver to finance advisor role for senior management. Harness the value of data to guide the CIO & CFO on ROI of the technology & infrastructure spend and building long term matrix
• Implemented a complete overhaul of process improvement and new financial reporting cycle to meet business objectives & growth, showcased a $5m run rate cost optimisation in less than six months.
• Automated by using internal technology team to automated various financial process so existing team could spend time on analysis rather than crunching of data with CIO and CFO of regional business and head office.
• Drive core financial processes including annual operating plans, monthly/quarterly business reviews associated assessment of risks/opportunities, and month-end
VICE PRESIDENT - FINANCE & STRATEGIC PROJECTS Barclays Bank, Commercial Banking, London Aug 2010 – Aug 2011 Re-hired by Head of Finance of Barclays Plc, to execute and contribute towards strategy for financial planning & reporting for corporate and wealth technology teams through implementing consistent project management principles based on PMP and redesigning budgeting, forecasting and governance process, working as strategic partner with the CFO & CIO of the business line
• Implemented a target operating model of P&L and balance sheet consolidation and planning for 5 years for a $250m cost base in Cognos TM1. Reviewed and challenge the same with the CFO, technology & treasury teams and draw through fundamental key performance indicators (KPI’s) for business value and performance tracking
• Challenged plans with senior executives by highlighting risk on PBT in order to improve RORWA to achieve desired ratios/threshold
• Responsible for monthly close and conducting monthly & quarterly financial results analysis of business performance by using Business objects, development of insightful Monthly Business Reviews & financial packs for executive management.
• Liaised with business & finance teams to drive cost optimization of $12m through vendor management and implementation of six sigma techniques, operational policies, and allocation principles.
• Lead a 10-person team of onsite and offshore finance managers to deliver financial reports, provide insightful business analytics and develop business budgets, forecasts and long-term financial plans FINANCIAL CONTROLLER FP&A, Global Transaction Banking – (Payments & Trade) HSBC Bank, London May 2008 – Aug 2010 Responsible for leading the finance transformation and Financial planning & analysis, budgeting, monthly closure and exco reporting for Payments & Trade business, for global technology cost of $1.1 Billion spread across 72 countries. Strategic partner to global business CIO and CFO to drive key trends impacting the ROI on investments with support of various data analytics reporting and presentations to take required actions against deviations between Actual Vs Budget.
• Worked extensively with finance, technology, operations & business heads across countries and regions to build a robust process to build Annual operating plan (AOP)budgeting and forecasting for OPEX, CAPEX, 150+vendors and 9000+FTE for payments and trade business with the use of Hyperion,TM1,Excel and SAP HANA KARAN WALIA
• Revamped the monthly and quarterly financial reporting pack with a critical focus on key performance indicators (KPI’s) working with product heads, project managers, business lines heads at different levels of management of payments & cash management and trade business at the regional and global level by directing 25+ people onshore and offsite team
• Build a financial automation process by applying the technology business management framework (TBM)a cross-functional initiative on global technology budget to calculate the cost per application, geography and customer to assist sales organisation in determining external pricing, increasing revenue for the business by $60m in year one
• Managed overall project delivery of cost and finance restructuring to achieve $22m R&D rebate from the Tax department
• Integral part of the team that pioneered Business Process Outsourcing moved 65 finance and project management roles
• Automated numerous functions in the finance department - global billing, management reporting and variance analysis and achieved exceptional performance improvement by creating central excellence of finance team with cost savings of $8m
• Rolled out global process design, central financial reporting portal and delivered clear SOPs (standard operating procedures) for finance planning, rolling forecast, portfolio management, and pricing, leading to reduced turnaround time Finance Business Partner, FP&A Commercial Banking Barclays Bank, London Jul 2007 – May 2008 Management Accountant, Commercial Banking BNP Paribas Fortis Bank, London Dec 2006 – Jul 2007 Before held multiple FP&A, project finance & project management roles with several corporations based out of UK and Australia EDUCATION
Chartered Institute of Management Accountant (Diploma)- CIMA (Equivalent to CPA), London – June 2007 Master Of Business (Finance & Professional Accounting) – Victoria University, Melbourne, Australia – June 2004 Bachelor’s (BS Hons) (Finance & Accounting) – Delhi University, India – 2002