Alpharetta, Georgia 30022 E-mail
Alex 111/ohajer, MSCE, P.E.
**** - ****, ******* ********* ** Technology, Atlanta, Ga.
• Master of Science in Civil Engineering
• Major, Hydro Systems (hydrology & Hydraulics)
• Minor, Environmental Engineering
1979 - 1982 Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Ga.
• Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering
1977 -1979 Iona College N.Y.
• Physics Major
January 27, 2014- Present, MARTA, Atlanta Ga. Manager, Civil & Structural Engineering During tenure with MARTA as the Manager of Civil & Structural Engineering have performed duties satisfying the following elements:
• Experience with Transit Operations: Performed all tasks to meet the Structural, Civil Engineering and Surveying needs of MART A.
• Experience with Bridges, and Vertical Infrastructure: Performed all tasks as related to Structural design for all MARTA infrastructures.
• Government and Non-Government work: Represented MART A to other agencies as related to Structural, Civil Engineering and Surveying activities.
• Experience working with 3rd
Party Vendors: Worked and monitored the 3rd party
vendors in reviewing, QA/QC, and managing their production and performance in meeting all MARTA engineering requirements.
• Leadership and excellent communication skills: With 27-years of executive and upper government management experience and as a graduate of Carl Vincent Institute of Government Management, University of Georgia, have proven to be a
Served as subject matter expert to the Director of Engineering. Managed all assigned projects to ensure best cost, safe, constructible technical solutions to MARTA's design projects.
Worked with the Director of Engineering to establish MARTA's long-range operating goals. Has a lead role in initiating studies and developing conceptual plans for future transit system expansion.
Developed 15-year Capital Improvement Program plan. Managed the overall GEC and sub consultants' project scope definition and project work program, and participates in
Performed fee negotiations for architectural/ engineering (A/E) design consultant services. Reviewed consultant pay applications for invoice and service provided. Provided interdisciplinary, interdepartmental communications and coordination. Develops and updates department policies and procedures.
served as project manager on assigned projects and performs other related duties as assigned. 2009 - 2013, City of East Point, Ga. Director, Public Works Department/Interim City Manager Managed a staff of up to 540 to include:
• Police Department
• Fire Department
• Economic Development Department
• Public Works Department
• Water & Sewer Department
• Contracts Procurement Department
• Human Resources Department
• Parks & Services Department
• IT Department
• Keep East Point Beautiful Department
• Roads & Drainage Division
• Transportation Division
• Solid Waste Division
• Buildings & Grounds Division
• Fleet Maintenance Division
• Stormwater Division
• Stormwater Utility Fee Enterprise Fund
• Pavement Management Plan
• Roadway resurfacing, & marking
• New sidewalks and repair
• Street sweeping
• Floodplain program
• Development Manual
• Stormwater Compliance Program
• Infrastructure rehabilitation
• Capital Improvement Programs
• DOT Right-Of-Way mowing
• Development plan review
• GIS program
• Infrastructure inventory program
• Community Rating System (CRS)
• Floodplain Evaluation & Ranking
• Floodplain Home Buyouts
1991 - 2009, DeKalb County, Ga. Stormwater Supervising Engineer/ Program Manager Initiatives include:
• The Stormwater Program including Stormwater Capital Improvement Projects.
• The Stormwater Utility Fee Program to generate a $37 million annual income.
• National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Program.
• Annual FEMA, GEMA, and floodplain requirements.
• The Floodplain Home Buyout Program.
• The Floodplain Community Rating System Program (CRS).
• Stormwater ordinance revisions to meet the State and the District's requirements.
• The Infrastructure Inventory Program, and new floodplain mapping.
• Technical advisor to the Development Department.
• Construction management, and in-house stormwater design.
• Part of the ARC Technical Committee that developed the Georgia Stormwater Design Manual (Blue Book).
1982 -1991, Atlanta, Ga. Civil Engineering Consultant For the following firms, performed civil engineering design and project management on municipal, industrial, commercial, and residential projects including, master planning, site layout, site design, hydrology, hydraulics, design of Stormwater Best Management Practices (BMP) stormwater quality facilities, flood analysis (River Modeling), sanitary sewer separation projects, and soil analysis.
1988 - 1991
1986 - 1988
Lawler Design Group, Atlanta, Ga.
Harrington George & Dunn, Atlanta, Ga.
Columbia Engineering, Atlanta, Ga.
Sailor's Engineering, Atlanta, Ga.
• Georgia Professional Registered Engineer, 1990
• Level-II Certified Design Professional, Georgia Soil and Water Conservation Commission
• License in Management in Government, Levels I, II, & Ill, University of Georgia, 148 hours.
• Stormwater Master Modeler
• National Incident Management System (NIMS), Level-700 Affiliations:
• American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
• Georgia Association of Water Professionals
• Georgia Association of Floodplain Managers
• Jeff Masisak, P.E., MASS Engineering and Consulting, Kennesaw, Ga. 404-***-****
• Clint Ghahramani, Engineer, Fulton County, 404-***-****
• Reza Aral, Engineer, City of East Point, 404-***-**** 4
Summary Biography of Ali (Alex) Mohajer
• Currently serves as the Manager of Civil, Structural, & Survey Division, with over 5.5-years of tenure at MARTA.
• Born in Tehran, Iran, March 25, 1959.
• Moved to N.Y. in 1975 and attended the last two-years of High School.
• Studied two-years, as a Physics Major, Iona College, N.Y. 1977 - 1979
• Moved to Atlanta in 1979.
• Attended Georgia Tech., School of Civil Engineering, BSCE in 1982, and MSCE in 1991.
• Georgia Professional Registered Engineer since 1990.
• Licensed, Carl Vinson Institute of Management in Government, Levels I, II, & Ill, University of Georgia, 148 hours. Classified as a 50% task oriented & 50% people oriented Type/Level - V Manager.
• Has 37-years of design experience including 28-years of government management experience to include Director positions at DeKalb County and City of East Point, managed a staff of 117. Interim City Manager, City of East Point, managed a staff of 540.
• Level-II Certified Design Professional, Georgia Soil and Water Conservation Commission, also involved in development of the Ga. Stormwater Design Manual, 2003 (Blue Book).
• Stormwater/Environmental Master Modeler.
• National Incident Management System (NIMS), Level-700 certified.
• Experience in Council retreats/work sessions/meetings, and townhall events. Budget preparation/defend and presentation. Initiation of Enterprise Funds. Reorganization. Leveraging enterprise fund revenues to secure grants. Agenda item preparation and presentation. Personnel hearings, interaction with the news, working with the Law Department/code amendments. Court deposition, testimonies, and as a court professional expert.
The University of Georgia
Carl Vinson • • Institute-. • • .w . of ' Government ~ and
Georgia .;, Center . for <;ontinuingE.ducation·:. .-ic·. 2
-Certifica~ of Local Gove~ept MfJ13~Pt _! t ·:- ~ j:i· ) .
Management Developrnerrt Program
Levels I, ll and ill
./4 tla_r iit~ Rep,, i6ndl qonpnfssi911 .
~'1ff .~, 190:t ·
Prir,,-Jp(ll fflSlrJ.JClor .
(,ot _!71,mental n,;i#i11ig Oiul»:i!.m, '
Alex Mohajer's Sample of Accomplishments:
Area of Consulting:
• Pensacola Airport, Pensacola, Florida: Design of the airport master detention facility, and runway extension.
• Charley Brown Airport, Atlanta, Georgia: Taxiway extension design.
• Design of Dry and Wet Detention Facilities: K-Mart and Wal-Mart shopping centers in the States of Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Kansas.
• Sandy Lake, Atlanta, Georgia: Hydrological study and spillway design for a 22.8-acre lake with the tributary area of 1,064 acres. This task included the design of a FUJIMOTO Spillway.
• East Point Jail, East Point, Georgia: Civil Engineering design.
• Eagle's Landing, Henry County, Georgia: A project of 2,000 acres to include the design of a major gravity sewer trunk line, medical professional buildings, golf course, and roadway design.
• Utoy Creek Combined Sewer Separation Phase V, City of Atlanta, Georgia: Design of approximately 30,000 linear feet of sanitary sewer line to separate an existing combined sewer system.
• Utoy Creek Basin Drainage and Streambank
Improvements, City of Atlanta, Georgia: Stormwater drainage improvements for several locations throughout the City of Atlanta.
• City of Albany, Georgia, Incubator: 30,000 sq. ft. office warehouse on 6.5 acres of land.
• Adamsville Recreational Facility, City of Atlanta, Georgia: A 98,000 s.f. recreational center on 20 acres of land.
• Peachtree Creek Streambank Improvements, City of Atlanta: Project consisted of evaluating approximately 15- miles of streambank for the Peachtree Creek Basin in the City of Atlanta. Performed the required design and construction management related services. Comparing alternative solutions to the various areas of concern.
• Fairmont Glidden: A CSO project, the main run was under 10 different train rails. Part of the scope was micro tunneling. 1
Some of the Residential projects:
• Kimball Estates, Kimball Bridge Road, Alpharetta, Ga.
• Creek Crossing Subdivision, Freemanville Road, Alpharetta, Ga.
• Spring Valley Subdivision, Bethany Bend, Alpharetta, Ga.
• Deer Valley Townhomes, Bethany Bend, Alpharetta, Ga.
• Hidden Forrest Subdivision, Morris Road, Alpharetta, Ga.
• Cogburn Estates Subdivision, Cogburn Road, Alpharetta, Ga.
• Pearl of Alpharetta Subdivision, Douglass Road, Alpharetta, Ga.
Working with Governments:
• Served as the technical advisor to prepare the State of Georgia Stormwater Design Manual (Blue Book).
• Developed the stormwater programs for DeKalb County, Ga. and the City of East Point, Ga.
• Developed the Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System
(MS4) inspection and maintenance programs for DeKalb County, Ga. and the City of East Point, Ga.
• Developed the infrastructure inventory and mapping programs for DeKalb County, Ga. and the City of East Point, Ga.
• Developed the stormwater pollutant loading programs for DeKalb County, Ga. and the City of East Point, Ga.
• Developed the stormwater MS4 ordinance revisions for DeKalb County, Ga. and the City of East Point, Ga.
• Developed the Floodplain ordinance revisions for DeKalb County, Ga. and the City of East Point, Ga.
• Served as the technical advisor to the Development Department of Dekalb County, Ga. to oversee the review of hydraulic and hydrological studies including river modeling.
• Assisted the HAZMAT team of DeKalb County, Ga. to forecast the path of pollutants and spills during incidents. 2
• Served as the first responder according to NIMS, certified as level-700 for DeKalb County, Ga. and the City of East Point, Ga.
• Managed the Capital Improvement Projects (CIP) stormwater programs for DeKalb County, Ga. and the City of East Point, Ga.
• Trained the engineering staff with the latest stormwater engineering concepts with DeKalb County, Ga. and the City of East Point, Ga.
• Served as the point of contact of DeKalb County, Ga. and the City of East Point, Ga. in working with Ga. EPD, and FEMA.
• Developed the Septic Tank Elimination Program (STEP) for DeKalb County, Ga.
• Developed the Stormwater Utility Programs for the City of Decatur ($5 million of annual income), DeKalb County ($37 million of annual income) in Ga., and the City of East Point
($2.4 million of annual income)
• Served as the Stormwater Program Manager for DeKalb County, Ga. and the City of East Point, Ga.
• Served as the Director of Public Works for the City of East Point, Ga. managed a staff of 150 including the Water & Sewer Department along with the Parks Department.
• Served as the Interim City Manager for the City of East Point, Ga. managed a staff of 540.
• Initiated the Pavement Management Plan (PMP) program for the City of East Point, Ga. and MARTA to scan all roadways, sidewalks, and parking areas for condition assessment.
• Initiated a new floodplain mapping for DeKalb County, Ga. and the City of East Point Ga.
• Design of a Government Center, a $20 million project for the City of East Point, Ga.
• Floodplain home buyouts for DeKalb County, Ga.
• Community Rating System (CRS) for DeKalb County, Ga. and the City of East Point, Ga.
• New Development Manual for the City of East Point, Ga.
• "Extended Level of Service" to perform stormwater improvements to reduce associated law suites for DeKalb County, Ga. and the City of East Point.
• Street sweeping program for the City of East Point, Ga. To sweep each street once every two months.
• Semi-annual Bulk Waste Amnesty Program for the City of East Point, Ga.
• Recycle Banking for the City of East Point, Ga.
• Bio Diesel fuel extraction process for the City of East Point, Ga.
• Resurfacing and new sidewalks for the City of East Point, Ga.
• New floodplain Elevation Certificates for homes in the City of East Point, Ga.
• Rock and Pipe Programs for DeKalb Co. and the City of East Point.
Revenue Generating Initiatives:
• Stormwater Utility Fee Programs. $37 million per year for DeKalb County, Ga. & $2. 75 million per year for the City of East Point, Ga.
• EPD and EPA grants, including floodplain home buyouts.
• Transportation grants, Local Maintenance Improvement Grant
• Pavement Management Plan (PMP), roadway assessment to attain a $2 million DOT grant.
• CRS programs to provide 15% discount for homeowners to attain flood insurance in DeKalb County with 20,000 parcels in floodplain and the City of East Point with 980 parcels in floodplain.
• Extended Level of Service to perform stormwater
improvement projects to reduce the law suits in City of East Point, Ga.
• Recycle rebate program for the City of East Point, Ga. A monthly income of $6,000.00
• Commercial hauler franchise fee of 20% for the City of East Point, Ga. An annual income of $148,000
• Staff reorganization in City of East Point "to do more with less".