YAN MU (U.S. CITIZEN)
firstname.lastname@example.org https://nycdatascience.com/blog/author/yan-mu/ 401-***-****
! " #
A strategic minded analyst, a senior banking and investment professional with experience in financial research, portfolio and investment analytics, machine learning modeling and algorithms, champion of process improvements and business solutions, and developing data products helping to drive decision-making.
C++/VB/FoxPro/Access Oracle/Tableau/MySQL/SAP/SPSS/Git Financial Application
NYC Data Science Academy New York, NY
Data Science Fellow Sept. 2019 to Current
• Scrape Redfin website to pricing the house in NJ sales market Used a Selenium and a web spider with Python's Scrapy library to crawl the housing sales market dataset then performed data analysis, statistical inference test and created visualizations to analyze factors influencing NYC housing prices.
• Shiny Project Data visualization for Forbes ranking The Shiny Dashboard library app shows the top profits companies breakdown by countries and sectors, the analysis tab shows the EDA results that includes the distribution of ranking and volatilities depicted the relationships between features.
• Lowa house price predication using machine learning Developed and evaluated machine learning models for house price prediction. Applied extensive feature engineering on high dimensional data and employed lasso, elastic net, kernel ridge, stochastic gradient boosting, xgboost and stacking techniques. Built pipeline for preprocessing, model training to improve tuning efficiency.
• Capstone Project
Worked for leading Fintech project to predictive loan default model to help LendingClub investors make better-informed investment decisions. Analyzed Lending club loan charged off data and build ML models to predict risk default. VU Venture Partners San Francisco, CA
Investment Associate Sept. 2018 to Sept. 2019
• Invested up to $15M in VU as a multi-stage investment fund. Identified and sourced investment opportunities across industries including Fintech, high-tech, healthcare and impact by analyzing market landscapes and building investment theses.
• Reviewed pitch decks and meet with many companies raising capital (seed through growth stage), conduct initial and deeper due diligence, and investment evaluations based on market size, founder and product market fit, among other criteria. Presented to the investment committee for approval co-investors including top angels, seed, VC & PE funds.
• 7+ Portfolio companies including 3TEN8, Riveter, BrainHi, OurHealthMate, QunoMedical, CourtBuddy, Blokable. Bank of New York Mellon Boston, MA
Derivatives Operations Analyst Jan. 2018 to June 2018
• Presented various asset servicing topics including trade settlements, position reconciliation, cash availability and risk reporting.
• Verified corporate actions and portfolio valuations; Calculation of fund performance metrics in line with client requirements.
• Analyzed team efficiency and risk potential, developed custody clients service structure, such as new clients fund set up.
• Organized clients meetings/reporting and developed service initiatives enhanced productivity for the client relationship. YAN MU (U.S. CITIZEN)
Bank of America Merrill Lynch Providence, RI
Senior Operations Analyst June 2015 to Dec. 2016
• Ensured accurate and drive timely processing of global payment, adapted to changes in business schedules and processes. Experi- enced SWIFT, CHIPS and fed wire formatting, field tags and mapping.
• Collected and analyzed complex data for sanction hit analysis and trends, built test cases and performs testing to ensure exceptions are effective and risk averse.
• Processed with precision and aim for “zero defects”, abilities to prioritized work and multi-task without errors.
• Improved database analysis and project management skills, created database management and job shadow projects (deserved Bronze rewards in NOV 2015), controlled duplicate payment around 3 million USD, reduced operation risk, and solved the problematic data, such as overpayments, designed scalable processes, developed strong data analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Developed payment operations procedures, such as hold analysis/risk control/credit returns/tax converse/data uploading.
• Built and maintained strong relationships with business partners, especially bilingual expertise to make effective communication. AuRui Chemical Corp Shanghai, China
Portfolio Manager Aug. 2011 to May 2015
• Supervised investment portfolios, researched on investment vehicles and tech startups, evaluated and analyzed existing and potential investments or owned properties including capital market analysis, economic and demographic trends, absorption rates, and market competition using financial modeling and valuation, carrying out portfolio data analysis, strategized manage portfolios for $3 billion.
• Published M&A due diligence, investment memorandums and investment partnership reporting to executive leadership.
• Increased portfolios’ revenue by 24% in 2011 and 35% in 2012. E.g. Invested private dwellings around Shanghai’s Disneyland Park.
• Negotiated purchase of estate at $45 million (asking price: $75 million) from Hutchison China Trade Holdings Ltd. China Min Sheng Banking Shanghai, China
Senior Financial Advisor Jan. 2009 to Aug. 2011
• Multi-Asset Class Portfolio and Product Analysis. Manage analytical requests centered around multi-asset class investment products and portfolios asset allocation and risk exposure by performing rigorous quantitative investment analysis.
• Assisted clients with financial decisions suited to their objectives based on assets evaluation, financial status analysis, assessment of risks tolerance, and reliability of financial investments and plans.
• Developed the clients list from 2,200 to 4,000 while financial stocking from 0.6 billion RMB to 1.1 billion RMB.
• Met monthly target to increase deposits by 5 million RMB, increased mortgage loans by over 700 million RMB in one year. Shanghai, China
Accountant Jan. 2003 to Dec. 2006
• Trained international business at corporate finance, familiar with the credit notes, negotiation, factoring business.
• Processed loans and analyzed credit risks and managed collateral security, increased loans by over 150 million RMB.
• Assisted Auditor with financial statement and reporting, strategic managed branch budget plans. Identified and monitored branch risks, such as credit risk, liquidity risk and transaction risk. Participated as a key member setting up a new branch, created and developed the procedures, such as general business operations, accounting report, risk control, HR and cybersecurity. EDUCATION
Liverpool John Moores University 2006 to 2008
Masters of Science International Banking and Finance Shanghai University of Finance and Economics 2003 to 2006 Masters of Science Financial Engineering
North China University of Technology 1996 to 2000
Bachelor of Science Information Management/Financial Management