Ph.D. student, Computer Science, Virginia Tech
**** *** ** *, #*, Arlington, VA 22203
314-***-**** - email@example.com - @subhodipbiswas SUMMARY
I am a Ph.D. student at Virginia Tech actively seeking data science/research intern position in any prominent tech company. My long-term career objective is to make a career as a data scientist in industrial Research & Development.
● Ph.D. in Computer Science Fall 2020 (expected)
Virginia Tech, Arlington, VA, USA
Specialization: Applied Machine Learning Minor: Urban Computing
● Bachelor in Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering 2010 - 2014 Jadavpur University, Kolkata, WB, INDIA
First Class Honors
Constrained clustering, fairness and ethics, optimization, metaheuristics, deep learning. Broadly interested in machine learning, evolutionary computation and data science. SELECTED PUBLICATIONS [Google Scholar]
[C1]Biswas S, Chen F, Chen Z, Sistrunk A, Self N, Lu CT, Ramakrishnan N. REGAL: A Regionalization framework for school boundaries. In Proceedings of the 27th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Conference on Advances in Geographic Information Systems 2019 Nov 5 (pp. 544-547).
[J2] Trivedi A, Srinivasan D, Biswas S, Reindl T. A genetic algorithm–differential evolution based hybrid framework: case study on unit commitment scheduling problem. Information Sciences. 2016 Aug 1; 354:275-300.
[J1] Biswas S,Kundu S, Das S. Inducing niching behavior in differential evolution through local information sharing. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation. 2014 Mar 25;19(2):246-63. PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Virginia Tech (Arlington, VA USA) MAY 2017 - present Graduate Research Assistant, Discovery Analytics Center Being a part of multidisciplinary data science team, I was involved in the following projects:
● Data-driven zone design by semi-supervised clustering (ongoing) Developed an end-to-end data-driven framework for helping school planners in nearby school districts to deal with frequent school boundary changes (due to growing student population). It automated plans based on the preferences supplied by the planner. Led to publication [C1].
● Technology prediction through data fusion (5/2017 - 4/2018) Built an interactive system that allows for data fusion from patents, citations, social media and science magazines; and uses NLP-based techniques for predicting the emergence of future technologies in an automated manner. Work to be submitted to CIKM 2020.
● Next Generation Social Sciences (5/2017 - 4/2018) Developed an experimental platform that helped to scale up social science modeling and experimental methodology; specifically focusing on the formation and dynamics of collective identity by simulating group ultimatum game.
Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, VA USA) AUG 2014 - MAY 2017 Graduate Teaching Assistant,Dept of Computer Science
● Data Analytics I by Dr. Chandan Reddy
● Machine Learning by Dr. Bert Huang
● Introduction to Programming in Java by Dr. John Lewis Indian Statistical Institute (Kolkata, WB INDIA) MAY 2012 - JUL 2014 Visiting student, supervised by Dr. Swagatam Das
● Devised improved Evolutionary Algorithms for numerical optimization and applied it to engineering problems like antenna design, filter design, etc. It led to multiple publications in top peer-reviewed venues like IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics (Impact Factor: 10.387), IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation (Impact Factor: 8.508), etc., and received 700+ citations till date. National University of Singapore (Singapore) JUN - JUL 2013 Research Intern, supervised by Dr. Anupam Trivedi and Dr. Dipti Srinivasan
● Developed a memetic algorithm by hybridizing EAs (Genetic Algorithm and Differential Evolution) for solving unit-commitment problems in power systems quicker than traditional methods. This led to publication [J2] in Swarm and Evolutionary Computation-Elsevier journal (Impact Factor: 6.33). RELEVANT SKILLS
Languages: Python, Matlab, R, C++, C, Java
Tools/Frameworks: Numpy, Pandas, GeoPandas, Scikitlearn, NetworkX, Shapely, Gurobipy Typesetting: MS Office suite, LaTeX, Adobe Illustrator OS: Linux, Windows Family
ACCOLADES/ COVERAGE/ TALKS
● Travel Grants
Student Travel Award: EAAI 2020, ACM SIGSPATIAL 2019. CS Travel award: EAAI 2020, ACM SIGSPATIAL 2019.
● Media coverage
Software platform engages communities in school rezoning decisions. [VTNews] Virginia Tech data program boosts local agencies short on analytical resources. [statescoop]
● Invited talks
May 31, 2018 “Tackling Civic Trends” at the 13 th Annual Loudoun GIS Forum by GIS Focus Group–Loudoun county, VA.
English (fluent), Bengali (native), Hindi (intermediate) REFERENCES
● Dr. Naren Ramarkishnan, Thomas L. Phillips Professor of Engineering, Department of Computer Science, Virginia Tech. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, 571-***-****
● Dr. Chang-Tien Lu, Professor of Computer Science, ACM Distinguished Scientist, CS Program Director, Virginia Tech- National Capital Region. Contact: email@example.com, 703-***-****
● Dr. Swagatam Das, Associate Professor, ECSU, Indian Statistical Institute - Kolkata, WB India. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, +91-983-***-****