Stefan N. Stalgren
Cary, North Carolina 27519
Extensive experience in product development functions taking multidisciplinary products from vague idea to full ongoing production. Equally comfortable in manufacturing processes and associated operations. Special skills in innovative problem solving, team building as well as fast paced phased development processes involving management of people, projects, processes and special parallel company initiatives. A structured, efficient and flexible team player who communicates equally well with both technical and non-technical employees, is results oriented and motivate others to succeed.
Applied LifeSciences & Systems, Inc., Raleigh, NC
Director of Engineering
2019/7 – 2019/10
o Reporting to the Founder / CEO, heading up cross functional engineering functions for vaccination processing equipment. Improve CAD and analysis and introduce PDM (path to PLM / ERP) and incorporate in a structured Product Development Process with a matching schedule and deliverables.
CADJockey, Inc., Research Triangle Park, NC
Co-Founder & President
2012 - 2019
o Assist Customers in taking vague ideas or concepts all the way through engineering and to ongoing manufacturing with reputable domestic / global manufacturing partners.
• Serving Consumer, Medical, Industrial and Automotive markets with Product Design, Development and Life Cycle Consulting (Structure, Documentation, Processes and Controls).
• Drive early customer involvement and supplier to service provider paradigm shift in companies. o Set up the first ‘Hardware Store’ for 50+ year old global Bi-Link (www.Bi-Link.com) in Research Triangle Park, NC. The first of a series of collaboration spaces with design, prototyping, development and manufacturing support.
• Coordinating with Corporate President and his immediate staff in USA HQ (Chicago, IL) and Manufacturing primarily in Shanghai (China) and Juarez (MX). o Multi-year product and company consulting / collaboration with SciKon Innovation
(www.ScikonInnovation.com) for revolutionary fluids flow culture devices. o Examples of products and projects worked on are: Surgical (Laparoscopic) staplers, pre-clinical tissue micro fluidics flow devices, die-cast steering racks for automobiles, Internet of Things devices such as; tracking for vehicles (OBD), marine vessels, shipping containers, pets, and convicted felons. Also. wireless water/gas metering devices, HDMI and fiber optic connectors & equipment, aeration disc assemblies for water treatment plants, large industrial cooling fans, large part count multi-step semi-automatic manufacturing stations, and plastic athletic flooring tiles.
Balda Solutions USA, Inc., Morrisville, NC
Head of Engineering & General Manager – US Operations
2006 - 2011
o Reporting to the global CEO of publicly traded (Germany) Balda AG, setting up new U.S. based R&D, sales and manufacturing support subsidiary.
• Customers in Consumer Electronics, Automotive and Medical industries with primarily North American, European, Japanese and Korean Fortune 100 to 500 customers. o Staffing domestically and internationally and managing development teams working with joint development at customers and coordinating with Balda Medical (Germany), Balda MobileCom in Beijing and Suzhou (China) and Balda Electronic Products (Malaysia).
• Electromechanical design of complete consumer products, e.g., mobile phones & accessories.
• Part and tool design for quick turn around steel prototype as well as production quality tooling.
• PCB, Flex films, connectors, components and associated high speed assembly processes. Page 2
o Xiamen (China) based TPK (www.tpk.com) is today the world leader in Touch Screen solutions. At the time, TPK was a (partially owned) Balda AG subsidiary.
• High level objective for Balda AG to assist global sales of Touch Screens with engineering activities as well as providing comprehensive solutions for smartphones, tablets, computers, automotive infotainment and other home or industrial appliances.
• Present customers with new experimental tooling, such as Glass Insert Molding to accommodate combinations of touch screens, plastic enclosures, sheet metal or die-cast parts as well as associated cutting edge decoration techniques (paintings, plating, printing, etc.).
Siemens VDO Automotive Electronics Corporation, Huntsville, AL
Mechanical Engineering Manager & Systems Engineering Manager – NAFTA
2005 – 2006
o Coordinate Instrument Cluster division Mechanical, H/W, and S/W Design & Development activities for all NAFTA customers as well as Siemens VDO development and manufacturing sites, i.e., Auburn Hills (MI), Huntsville (AL) and Guadalajara (Mexico). R&D of ~ 50 people in each site.
• Improve Design & Development and associated Stage Gate Operational processes in accordance with CMMI models, level 3 and above, for NAFTA.
• Working with engineering, project management, manufacturing, sourcing, quality and others to reduce quality issues and streamline activities.
• Plan / Coordinate strategy for Product Engineering transfer to Mexico. o Managed Mechanical Design and Development of instrument clusters for the automotive industry. Including recruiting and training existing Guadalajara Design and Manufacturing support.
• Retrained engineers in CAD (CATIA v.5, Unigraphics and Pro/E) and Analysis (ANSYS v.10).
• In-house and external training for Plastic Materials & Parts Design and DFA / DFM techniques.
• Coordinated training of North American Design & Development Engineers as well as shared plant Union Design & Drafting personnel in Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerances, GD&T.
• Trained & certified employees (incl. all North American Management) in 6 Sigma methodology. o Engineering Team of the Year award, NAFTA and Global Division IP (Instrument Clusters). o Per recommendation from German Division CEO, personally pursued new Display market opportunities and proposed products and strategies, such as digital displays as mainstream instrument clusters. Also, replace all North American products incandescent bulbs with LED’s.
Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications, Inc., Research Triangle Park, NC
Sr. Staff Engineer (Eng IV), Sr. Technical Leader (Mgr I), Technical Manager (Mgr II)
1996 - 2003
o Headed up Platform Group (Mechanical, Antenna, Acoustics, Terminal Power, Display and Human Factors groups) in all aspects of project and product development of products ranging from entry tier Stick and Clamshell shaped products to fully featured CDMA phones.
• Advanced design and processes as dual and triple-shot injection molding, Thixo-molding, plating systems, and monitor & apply advances in high volume assembly methods.
• Owner of Hardware Time To Market (TTM) Stage Gate Process as well as Continuous Improvement activities of any and all related processes.
• FEA; ANSYS, LS-Dyna, Moldflow, and training of all mechanical engineering resources in GD&T.
• Coordinated all activities relative to Industrial Design, Procurement, Quality, Tooling, Test & Verification, Materials Supply and overseas High Volume Manufacturing services. o Managed a multi-disciplinary team of engineers as a part of the Exploratory Group, a global CTO initiative for creative product development utilizing aggressive alternative development procedures and processes aiming at using internal as well as external resources more effectively.
• Developed first generation data-centric Smartphone. o Headed up electromechanical design and related development activities for the world's smallest Satellite phone (geostationary, i.e., ~36,000 km orbit around equator).
• Phone(s) with interchangeable satellite and cellular antennae as well as associated accessories.
Ericsson Mobile Communications AB, Lund, Sweden
Development – Staff Engineer (Eng. Levels I – III)
1988 - 1996
o Mechanical Object Lead for 3rd generation Ericsson digital phone platforms.
• Lead Mechanical and Electromechanical activities from concept through development and into manufacturing.
• Injection Molding, Die-Casting (Al & Mg) and Sheet Metal Forming as well as associated Tooling techniques, high volume Assembly, PCB’s, Antennae, Acoustics, Displays, Batteries, etc. o Major contributor to the mechanical design of the first generation digital (GSM) phones, which size and capabilities enabled the company to exceed sales projections and capture considerable global market share.
• 3-Dimensional CAD (Unigraphics), FEA (ANSYS) and Moldflow. o Member of the original engineering team developing the first and second generation mobile as well as hand held cellular analog (NMT) phones.
• Including development of miscellaneous creative phone accessories, e.g., high capacity and slim-line batteries, car holders/kits, and desk chargers.
University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL
Master of Science - Mechanical Engineering
Structural Engineering / Materials Science & Engineering Dalarna
University (Högskolan Dalarna), Borlänge, Sweden
Bachelor of Science - Mechanical Engineering
Product Development / Materials Science & Engineering
United States & Swedish (EU) citizen
Swedish, English, German (5+ years) language
Swedish Army – K1, Infantry/Cavalry Ranger Stockholm, Sweden