GERICK T. SMITH
Delivering real estate solutions and capital improvements to optimize profitability for large-scale clients.
$1.5B programs $900M capital budget $300M in capital improvements 57-member team 160 major ventures Pioneering senior program director offering “speed to market” development and construction services that drive concurrent, multibillion-dollar projects through completion, on time and within budget. Change agent and consultant with reputation for unearthing productivity roadblocks and implementing unconventional strategies to reverse downward performance trends and accelerate goal achievement. Trusted advisor who cultivates an atmosphere of collaboration, professional growth and accountability to champion client success in maximizing ROI and minimizing risks without compromising quality. Career Highlights f
Saved $4M by securing surety to sign takeover agreement on underperforming construction project and preventing need for further solicitation.
Positioned 7 staff to achieve required LEED silver certification by organizing guidebook to meet long-term sustainability and energy efficiency goals for all construction projects.
Reduced change orders 25% and contractor payment time 50% in 2 years, introducing Project Management Information System (PMIS) to streamline tracking, budgeting and performance updates for senior staff.
Earned Best of Awards Recognizing Excellence during Governments New Beginnings Youth Development Center (McGraw Hill, Mid-Atlantic Construction); Invited to speak at Greenbuild International Conference. Program Management Review/Negotiation Process Capital Improvement Project Planning Project Budgeting/ Cost Management Mix-use Development Design Development Management Construction Management Permitting Schedule Establishment Vendor Selection & Management Risk Management Contract Negotiations Data Analysis and Bench Marking
Process Improvement Cross-Functional Collaboration Strategic Planning Building Systems Redevelopment Financial Management Problem Solving On-time and On-Budget Project Delivery PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Oak Street Health – Chicago, IL December 2017–Present REAL ESTATE DIRECTOR
Orchestrate strategic leadership, planning and construction of $80M+ in clinical retail expansion projects for 25+ nationwide Senior Health, Primary Care Centers, including client design, site selection, due diligence, entitlement landlord work letter, lease negotiation, program management, upgrades and permitting. Landlord and property management relationships. Oversees facilities management of over 60 centers. Research and identify capital renewal and deferred maintenance needs. Supervise 12 employees.
• Grew construction project portfolio from 24 to 53 centers across 7 states in 2 years, projecting addition of 25 centers and 3 states by 2020.
• Authored first-ever, web-based PMIS and design manual to standardize company brand, project delivery procedures and business practices to increase performance outcomes. Michaels Development Company – Chicago, IL December 2016–December 2017 PROJECT MANAGER
Led proposal and renovation of $35M, 21-building (200 units), multifamily, mixed-income campus, including mechanical, electrical and plumbing improvements, interior/exterior upgrades, ADA and life safety enhancements. Controlled project management activities and developed operating plans to guarantee completion on time and within budget.
• Directed $30M design and construction project for 84 multifamily, mix-use, mid-rise, mixed-income units with buildout of 6 ground floor commercial spaces.
• Coordinated $15M historical renovation project to convert 175 SRO units into 80 single-occupancy efficiency multifamily with buildout of 2 ground floor commercial spaces. DSR Group LLC – Chicago, IL January 2012–November 2016 SENIOR CONSTRUCTION MANAGER (CONTRACT)
Accepted contract role to organize and implement facilities and infrastructure programs for Chicago Board of Education. Synchronized program management functions from planning through completion for facilities and construction projects. Consulted with contractors and internal technical staff and supervised budget development processes. GERICK T. SMITH 773-***-**** email@example.com www.linkedin.com/in/gericksmith PAGE 2
• Oversaw $23M project portfolio, including high-level renovations and HVAC and lighting upgrades at local schools. Purdue University – West Lafayette, IN May 2013–November 2013 PROJECTS GENERAL MANAGER
Retained oversight of 151 multi-market projects with $275M value. Supervised high-performing team of 4 project managers across 3 regional campuses. Conducted needs assessments and in-depth market analysis to expand territory penetration.
• Spearheaded projects to construct $35M Student Services and Activity Center, $13M softball stadium, $20M Brown Laboratory Renovation, $80M College of Engineering Growth Plan and $22M Culinary Support Center.
• Doubled team output, assigning 6 projects per project manager and utilizing construction managers to write scopes of work, estimates and constructability reviews while monitoring value engineering and construction.
• Overhauled District’s Standard Contract Provisions for Architectural & Engineering Design Services and General Contraction Services to eliminate redundant and contradictory contract language and reduce process bottlenecks.
• Aligned deliverables with invoice payments to more efficiently track updates in project schedules, partial waivers of lien and proof of compliance with district requirements. DC Department of General Service – Washington, D.C. June 2007–April 2011 DEPUTY DIRECTOR (CONSTRUCTION DIVISION)
Hired to reverse deadline and budgeting challenges while harmonizing leadership strategies, resource allocation and planning to grow $340M into $900M, 6-year capital budget. Reconfigured divisional structure into Project Management Office (PMO) to maximize productivity and efficiency for 100 projects and 110 ventures. Supervised 57-person team of project managers, construction managers, architects and engineers. Site assessment and selection, due diligence, entitlement, lease review. Policy and procedure guidance and compliance. Provided construction management for sister agencies, including Parks and Recreation, Fire & Police and the Washington Convention and Sports Authority.
• Boosted productivity 390% and yielded $150M cost savings over 4-year period by increasing FTEs 9% and salaries 17%, ultimately lowering personnel services 4%.
• Developed and executed comprehensive Facility Condition Assessment and Space Survey of 200 district buildings with 2M+ sq. ft., identifying $300M in capital improvements.
• Led department in managing 30 construction/renovation projects for DC Park districts summer Get Ready Program ranging from $300K to $2M.
• Implemented a web-based “Project Delivery Manual” to merge industry best practices with district regulations and enforce repeatable and successful projects.
• Minimized review cycles on project-related documents and risk of litigation, implementing Prolog system to store data in centralized location with audit-trial tracking and automate operations processes.
• Stabilized expenses for estimated interest by requiring potential bidders to collect documentation from printer, removing cost of orientation and eliminating need for time extensions. AECOM – Chicago, IL January 2004–June 2007
Entrusted by Chicago Board of Education to steer planning efforts for $35M facilities and infrastructure programs to renovate 11 city schools, including timeline and budget development, project management and consulting. Conferred with contractors, consultants and internal technical staff. Owned $40M campus program to convert Chicago Park District’s 10 asphalt play surfaces into open green spaces. Headed $70M construction undertaking of 10 city park projects, 3 recreation centers and
$60M initiative for the Public Building Commission of Chicago. Supervised 3-5 employees. EDUCATION
Master of Building Construction Management Purdue University – West Lafayette, IN Master of Public Administration Baruch College-The City University of New York – New York, NY Bachelor of Science in Communications Emerson College – Boston, MA TRAINING & CERTIFICATIONS
Certificate of Construction Management 10-Hour OSHA Training 30-Hour OSHA Training PgMP Candidates MEMBERSHIPS
National Forum of Black Public Administrators
Construction Management Association of America (CMAA) The African American Real Estate Professionals DC (AAREP)