}Anish Sam Varghese
Senior Technology Leader, Engineer & Architect
LinkedIn: Anish Sam Varghese www.anishsam.com
Experience: 16 Years Location: Toronto, Canada Availability: 3-4 Weeks Technology enthusiast with solid experience in engineering state-of-the-art technology solutions with deep technical knowledge, effective leadership and hands-on expertise across multiple technical platforms. Summary
• 16+ years of progressive experience which includes leadership and hands-on experience in successful design, creation and deployment of multiple enterprise-grade solutions. Advanced hands-on experience with application and solution architecture, design and end-to-end software development of complex distributed
• Seasoned technology leader with experience leading and directing teams of 15+ engineers, and handling successful solution delivery with top quality and on time.
• AWS Certified Solution Architect, DevOps Engineer - Professional, Developer and SysOps Administrator – Associate Level
• Deep AWS experience with several Amazon services – CloudFormation, IAM, EC2, S3, Route 53, STS, VPC, DR Strategy, ELB, SES, SQS, SNS, CloudWatch, RDS, etc.
• Expert in cloud-native and serverless architecture with AWS using services like AWS Lambda, API Gateway, Cognito, DynamoDB, Kinesis, AWS SAM, CI/CD with CodePipeline, etc.
• Solid Java foundation with hands-on expertise in JEE, RESTful API, SOAP Services, Spring Boot, JBoss Fuse/Apache Camel, JMS, JPA/Hibernate, JBoss EAP and various other technologies.
• Experienced in modern architecture patterns and implementations using Cloud/PaaS (AWS & OpenShift), Microservices Patterns, Containerization using Docker and Vagrant, DevOps and CI/CD involving Git, Maven, Jenkins, XL Pipeline, Sonatype Nexus, etc.
• Expertise in building microservices and enterprise-grade APIs using state-of-the-art techniques and best practices (REST, JSON, XML, etc.)
• Advanced knowledge of architectural principles, with experience in building fault-tolerant, scalable solutions that are performant at a global enterprise scale.
} Resume: Anish Sam Varghese
} Page 2 Phone: +1-416-***-****
Key Technical Skills
} Primary Skills Technology & Solution Architecture Distributed & Cloud native applications, AWS
AWS EC2, DynamoDB, Lambda, Cognito, IoT, RDS, Route53, CloudFormation Microservices Architecture, REST API Design
UML Modeling, High & Low-level Designs
JEE, REST, JBoss Fuse/Apache Camel, Spring Boot
} AWS EC2, Lambda, API Gateway, S3, EFS, EBS, RDS, DynamoDB, DMS, VPC, ELB, Route 53, API Gateway, CloudFront, IAM, Cognito, CodeBuild, CodePipeline, CodeCommit, CodeDeploy, CloudFormation, CloudWatch, KMS, Secrets Manager, IoT, Kinesis
} Full Stack
Java, JEE, Spring Boot, Angular, Python, Node.js, HTML5, CSS3, NPM, TypeScript, jQuery, OAuth, SSO, SAML, REST API, JSON, Swagger, SOAP Services, Apache Camel, JPA/Hibernate
} Design UML 2.0 (using Rational Rose, Enterprise Architect & StarUML), Visio Design Patterns & Object-Oriented Design Principles
} Databases DynamoDB, SQL, Oracle 10g, PostgreSQL, MySQL, IBM DB2, Relational Modelling, Oracle SQLDeveloper, Oracle Data Modeller, IBM Data Studio
} Middleware & Servers APIGEE, JBoss Fuse(Fabric8, ActiveMQ, ZooKeeper), JBoss EAP, BEA WebLogic 9
& 11G, IBM Websphere Application Server (WAS) 5.0, Apache Tomcat, MQ using Solace, ActiveMQ, WebLogic Queues.
} Test Frameworks JUnit, DBUnit, JWebUnit, Selenium, JMock, FitNesse, SOAPUI Performance testing using JMeter & analysis using DynaTrace, JConsole.
} Methodologies Agile/Scrum, Kanbaan, RUP, Waterfall
} Other Tools CI/CD Pipelines, Jenkins, GIT, Docker, Vagrant, VirtualBox, Nexus, Ant, Maven, Atlassian Suite(JIRA, Confluence, Crucible), OpenShift, SonarQube, PMD, Checkstyle, FindBugs, Veracode Application Secuirty Scanning, AppDynamics Performance Monitoring
Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Sr. Cloud Application Architect (Jun 2019 – Nov 2019) I worked as Senior Cloud Architect on AWS Professional Services team, helping AWS customers with new application development, cloud-native applications and migrations to cloud. Worked with multiple clients to develop serverless applications using AWS Lambda, Kinesis, API Gateway, Cognito, AWS IoT, CloudFront, S3, DynamoDB, etc. CITCO - Toronto, Canada
Sr. Cloud Architect (Jun 2018 – Jun 2019)
I worked as Senior Architect on Solutions and Enterprise Architecture team, defining best practices and standards for AWS, as well as helping migrate applications from on-prem to cloud. I am involved hands-on in several AWS technologies, at the same time, providing thought leadership to cloud practice at Citco. Key Contributions and Achievements:
• Involved in the architecture, design and hands-on implementation of migration of multiple applications from on- premise data center to AWS.
} Resume: Anish Sam Varghese
} Page 3 E-Mail: email@example.com
• Created CloudFormation templates for automated provisioning of various AWS infrastructure services.
• Created DevOps pipelines for Infrastructure deployments on AWS using AWS CodePipeline, AWS CodeCommit, and AWS CodeDeploy
• Migrated Windows and Linux based applications (COTS and custom) to AWS leveraging services like EC2, RDS, IAM, KMS, VPC, Secrets Manager, SSM Parameter Store, EFS, EBS, STS, S3, SQS, SNS, CloudWatch, Elastic LoadBalancer, DMS, Route53, CodeCommit, CodeDeploy, CodePipeline, and many other services
• Researched new technologies, defined standards and best practices for several AWS Services for the organization.
• Reviewed application architectures using best practices and AWS Well-Architected Framework. International Financial Data Services - Toronto, Canada Director – Web Development (Aug 2016 – Jun 2018)
As the Director for Development, I was responsible for engineering of web & Java solutions, and owned the Java practice, which include using the right development processes, tools and people leading to successful, on-time and quality delivery of development projects. I provide hands-on technical leadership to a strong engineering team consisting of 1 Senior Manager, 2 Technical Leads and 10 Senior Developers. Key Contributions and Achievements:
• Was involved hands-on on migrating legacy ESB services running on Sonic to newer stack on JBoss Fuse running in Fabric with ZooKeeper, ActiveMQ and Apache Camel.
• Responsible for the development of iFast WebPlus platform that uses technologies like AngularJS, Node, JBoss EAP, spring and WebFocus reporting. Also, responsible for smooth run of the product in production, and worked hands-on on several critical production issues related to memory management, threads, and networks.
• Leverage AWS Serverless Technologies like Lambda, API Gateway, S3 Static Site, DynamoDB, etc to host dynamic web application on cloud.
• Improved CI and SDLC processes to include automated scanning for code quality using SonarQube in Jenkins, secure coding and vulnerability scanning using Veracode, documentation using Confluence, etc.
• Adopted Microservices patterns for new applications using JDK1.8 and Spring Boot-based technologies.
• Hired several strong Java engineers into the company and formed standards and practices for development. American Express - Toronto, Canada
Solutions Architect (Mar 2014 – Aug 2016)
As Solutions Architect at American Express, I was responsible for architecture, design and development of software solutions across Insurance and AML portfolios. I provide technical leadership across these portfolios, from a strategic decision making, down to the project planning and implementation level. Key Contributions and Achievements:
• Introduced new technology and process improvements in the portfolio, like, migration to OpenShift enterprise private cloud, CI/CD capability for rapid and agile development, improved time to market, etc. Migrated several legacy components to newer Java-based stack using technologies like Apache Camel, RESTeasy, JBoss EAP, Spring, etc.
• Promoted use of micro services architecture, and developed REST-based API for key services used by external partners.
• On the AML portfolio, helped solution and build a state-of-the-art KYC refresh engine using Apache Camel as the Application Service Bus integrating with more than 10 different systems within and outside of Amex network. This multi-million $ project was developed in record 6 months time following Agile methodology.
• Participated in global Hackathon events in 2 consecutive years, and won 1st place within Amex Canada.
} Resume: Anish Sam Varghese
} Page 4 Phone: +1-416-***-****
CGI - Toronto, Canada
Senior Technical Consultant (Nov 2012 – Mar 2014)
Technical Leader (Nov 2011 – Nov 2012)
I joined CGI as Technical Team lead for a new project initiative, and lead a team of 10 senior engineers for the solutioning, architecture and development of a high volume financial transaction system. Within a year, I was promoted as Senior Technical Consultant, and was responsible for software delivery leadership and solutioning and architecture of Java-based enterprise solutions.
Key Contributions and Achievements:
• I owned and successfully built the Interac’s International Remittance platform, which is used widely in Canada. I delivered $3-million dollar project on time by directly leading over the architecture and development, and by working with several cross-functional teams at both CGI and partner companies.
• Created the overall high-level architecture, deployment and infrastructure models, and high level designs for the end-to-end solution. Key technologies involved were SOAP services on Axis, WebLogic application Server, Spring, Hibernate, Oracle DB.
• Managed team of 10 software engineers, providing the technical guidance required for the development of the modules, and managing their day-to-day activities.
• Worked with network engineering teams to design both internal and external inter-system communications over VPN, firewall, load balancer and routers.
• Worked with middleware and Unix teams for various design and manage the various configurations like Web Logic design on QA, UAT and production systems, SSL and security configurations for inter-system communication, FTP access and background processes for inter-system transfers, deployments, etc. Encora Technologies – Bangalore, India
Technical Leader (Apr 2010 – Sep 2011)
At Encora, I led the team that built state-of-the-art automation testing framework called BbAssist for Blackboard’s
“Learn” application using Selenium and FitNesse as the base. My team consisted of 8 engineers, and was highly recognized for building the web automation testing framework from scratch in very short duration of less than 6 months, and received several awards for great work.
Key Contributions and Achievements:
• Created software technical architecture, high level designs and PoCs of BbAssist 2 framework.
• Coded the PoC’s and core framework components that formed the baseline and architecture for the project. Coded various complex modules and components in the project using Core Java, JUnit, JMock, Spring, Hibernate, JMS and JBoss.
• Created the continuous integration environment using Hudson and Sonar, and created several build-install-test jobs for continuous builds. Introduced static code analysis checks into the project to ensure quality deliverables from my team.
• Introduced and implemented the use of AOP using AspectJ for cross-cutting concerns and interception-based functionality.
• Led team of 7 J2EE engineers, guiding them technically, assigning work to them, reviewing their work itemsand overseeing their professional development. Also, performed role of scrum master on this project. Keane (India) Pvt. Ltd. (formally Caritor) – Bangalore, India Keane Inc. (Edinburgh, Scotland) & Keane Inc. (Vancouver, Canada) Senior Software Engineer & Technical Leader (Apr 2004 – Mar 2010) I joined Caritor as Software Engineer, and got promoted as Senior Software Engineer, Technical Leader, Project Leader, and finally resigned as Technical Manager in the organization. During my tenure of 6 years at Keane, I worked with clients like McKesson Pharmacy Systems, Unisys, and BrightGray Insurance (a division of Royal London Group), and in various locations like Edinburgh, Rotterdam, Vancouver.
} Resume: Anish Sam Varghese
} Page 5 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Gnostice Information Technologies – Bangalore, India Software Engineer (Feb 2003 – April 2004)
Gnostice Information Technologies is a product-based company dealing with highest quality feature rich solutions to software developers and business users around the world. At Gnostice, I was involved in the analysis, design and development of PDF creation and manipulation products for Java, Borland Delphi and ActiveX platforms. Education & Certifications
• Bachelor of Engineering (BE) degree with First Class and Distinction from the Visveswaraiah Technological University, India, with specialization in Information Science & Engineering.
• - Validate at: http://aws.amazon.com/verification o AWS Certified Security – Speciality
Validation Number: 5KQBP1P2J1QQQZGJ
o AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Professional Validation Number: JZD0XSL2CBBQ1B9P
o AWS Certified DevOps Engineer – Professional
Validation Number: VN1KMQ5CCFQQQY9Z
o AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate
Validation Number: VVSJPWE1KNF117W9
o AWS Certified Developer – Associate
Validation Number: PEVR02W2KE1E1RWJ
o AWS Certified Sysops Administrator – Associate
Validation Number WMH2M1V122441CSM
AWS Certification Transcript: http://bit.ly/myawscerts