Blake C. Bunch
San Diego, California
B.A. Political Science, College of Charleston – Charleston, South Carolina (2010) Professional Experience
Business Manager - 101 Network
San Diego, Calif.
April 2019 - present
● Oversee all content production for History101 and Vacation 101(both WordPress sites). This includes editing and publishing paid media and organic articles, content ideation, and workflow continuity. Contribute articles as needed.
● Coordinate freelance organic articles across the 101 Network: Contract, on-board, and approve freelancer invoices. Run daily analytics to ensure that brand(s) meet/exceed established KPIs. This is done through the use of a proprietary “real time” data program.
● Ideate, approve, and edit third-party (PRESTO) SEO-driven articles. Manage social media content production/accounts for brand: Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter. Create basic graphics/content using Canva. Keep abreast of upcoming historical events of importance/gear content to that end.
● Discuss brand development with other brand managers weekly. Meet with paid media and in-house organic content on a bi-weekly basis. Lead “brand voice” workshops with content writers, brand managers, and senior management.
● Conduct competitive keyword research utilizing SEM Rush.
● From April 2019 to present: Increased Facebook likes to 308K. (FB following also grew to 310K). Was directly responsible for $880K profit and generated 55.7 million sessions for History 101.
Editor - San Diego Community Newspaper Group
San Diego, Calif.
Nov. 2016 – Dec. 2019
● Source content directly from public relations representatives, local news sources, government and public safety officials, citizen groups, etc. for the bi-weekly publication. Assign and oversee the completion and editing of articles from staff reporters, freelancers, columnists, and public relations representatives.
● Produce layouts (utilizing Quark software) and design each 20-page edition of The La Jolla Village News. Assist in copyediting of The Peninsula Beacon and Beach & Bay Press. Publish corresponding content on sdnews.com (a Radiate CMS site). Utilize Photoshop to appropriately size and ensure print and online-worthy photos. Write, edit, and photograph no less than three feature articles per edition. Although my articles varied in content per edition necessities, I cover the gamut of hyper-local news.
● Develop long standing relationships with local business owners, artists, entrepreneurs, and community leaders. Work closely with both the managing editor and publisher regarding publications’ collective direction. Utilize Cision software to create email marketing campaigns, pitching upcoming editions and ongoing business at the company.
● Awarded in the categories of breaking news, fine arts, and even a photography entry, in the 2017 San Diego Press Club Awards.
Freelance Writer/Editor - San Diego Music Examiner Panama, Costa Rica
July 2014 – Aug. 2016
● Developed relationships with local, national, and international recording artists. Conducted necessary interviews and corresponding press. Wrote, edited, and published interviews and/or reviews to San Diego Music Examiner.
● Re-vamped a bilingual Panamanian paper and online news source, The Bocas Breeze. Published and edited articles in both English and Spanish.
● Aided in the creation of an online news source, Hoy Costa Rica. Formulated content calendar, sold ad space, established relationships with local businesses, wrote articles, and operated our social media accounts. Operated in this fashion from our March of 2015 site launch until my departure in 2016.
Copywriter and Social Media Manager - Creative Mob San Diego, Calif.
Aug. 2013 – June 2014
● Created wholly original content for our existing and prospective clients. Furthered my knowledge of basic coding necessary for straightforward blogs. Further developed proficiency in WordPress, Adobe InDesign, and other necessary publishing tools improved tremendously as well.
● Contacted prospective clients with a "media package," suited to their individual needs. This would involve acting as liaison between our graphic designers, business managers, and writing teams. Produced (at a minimum) of thirty pages of copy per diem. Editor – IVN San Diego
San Diego, Calif.
Sept. 2012 – July 2013
● Utilized degree in Political Science to the utmost, researching and writing articles covering ground-breaking issues both statewide and nationally. Interviewed current and prospective politicians during the 2012 election season.
● IVN San Diego placed a great deal of emphasis on local restaurants, events, and outdoor living, though politics was the main underlying focus. Managed a team of more than ten staff-writers and interns. Created weekly content calendars, as we were a 24-hour online news source. Wrote, edited, and published my own work (as well as in-house writers and freelancer) daily on our WordPress sites.
● Worked hand-in-hand with IT, accounting, and PR departments. Chaired a weekly meeting outlining the coming weeks' goals. Assigned and ensured that work was being completed per set deadlines.
Associate Editor – Lucky Dog Publishing
Feb. 2010 – March 2012
● Began career as an intern, then moved up to associate editor in less than two years. Covered local political meetings and wrote about civic issues for three barrier island publications: The Island Eye News, The Island Connection, and The Folly Current.
● Aided our graphic designer and managing editor in layouts for all three of our bi-weekly print editions. Also, functioned as web editor for said publications.
● Held and attended weekly staff meetings to brainstorm upcoming editions, assign articles, and discuss ongoing business. During tenure at Lucky Dog, I successfully published more than 150 articles.