Results Driven Product Management Executive
Product Development – Entrepreneur – Team Builder – Product Marketing and Management Achievement oriented professional with over 26 years of successful experience in strategic business development, project management, and brand building, all in highly competitive marketplaces. Creative problem solving abilities coupled with a proven capacity to mentor while maintaining focus on R.O.I., profit and loss, and customer satisfaction. Fluent in Spanish, both written and verbal.
• Executive level management, planning
• Competitive market research & analysis
• Driver of accountability in business processes
• Outstanding communication & presentation skills
• Product evangelist, trainer, public speaker
• Product design, development, & evolution
• Leadership & team management
• Shaping, defining & building brand
• Negotiation skills & RFQ expertise
• Broad-based fragrance & chemical expertise
• Supply Chain & Operations expertise
• Direct sales & consultant growth/retention
Plant Therapy, LLC Boise, ID Feb. 2018 – Sept. 2019 VP of Product Development
Started and built a Product Development team from the ground up, implementing best in class processes and procedures to ensure that new products were developed against focused customer acquisition strategies in conjunction with Marketing, Sourcing, Finance, and Operations teams.
• Launched over 70 new SKUs in 2019 by June 30, including two new sub brands: Evoke and a dietary supplement CBD product line—exceeding revenue forecasts for both sub brands.
• 80+ new SKUs on track to launch by the end of 2019 including multiple new product categories.
• Documented and refined a Product Roadmap for 2019 and 2020 with an emphasis on products capable of generating the most revenue for the brand.
• Directly contributed to an average YOY revenue growth of 40% in 2019 (YTD).
• Established multiple new 3rd party contractor manufacturing relationships based upon specific competencies and product plans.
• Contributed as a member of the executive team in an effort to drive strategic growth, implement budgets, shape corporate culture and implement best-in-class cross-functional business processes to drive accountability and mitigate risk.
Perfectly Posh Salt Lake City, UT Jan. 2015 – Sept. 2017 Executive VP of Product Management / Executive VP of Product Research & Development Lead all Product Development efforts company wide, building the department and the processes. Coordinated efforts between Marketing, Legal, Ops, and Quality (which I created) to deliver products on time and under budget.
• Oversaw the development and launch of over 360 successful new SKUs including line extensions, exclusive products, and catalog products.
• Redeveloped and improved over 50 SKUs resulting in increased sales velocity.
• Directly contributed to Posh’s revenue growth of 605% from January of 2015 to September of 2017.
• Drove IMU from 4.9 to 7.9 through cost negotiations and with minimal retail price increases. Handled or oversaw all costing negotiations.
• Expanded Posh’s vendor pool from a single source liquid manufacturer to 7 different manufacturers with multiple product category redundancies to mitigate risk. Transitioned and improved top performing legacy SKUs to new manufacturers while decreasing the landed costs of those SKUs.
• Brought fragrance strategy and selection in house, ultimately launching the most successful fragrances in Posh’s history and starting the process of building signature, brand specific fragrances. Modere / Neways Springville, UT 2014 – 2015
Director of Product Management
Developed and launched globalized SKUs for domestic and international markets utilizing in house R&D chemists and similar external resources. Performed competitive product analysis, benchmarking, and clinical research.
• Scoped the build out and budget for internal lab to conduct competitive analysis and clinical research.
• Helped select, develop, modify and position fragrances for all planned personal care SKUs launched in the second half of 2015 and planned for 2016.
• Successfully negotiated with in country management to launch new and improved global SKUs as replacements for non-global or local market specific SKUs.
• Successfully hired product category specific R&D chemists to develop needed SKUs in conjunction with Regulatory teams and Marketing.
Scentsy Fragrance Meridian, ID May 2009 – Dec. 2012 Product Category Manager, Fragrance (Product Development) Final accountability for all consumable products in the Scentsy portfolio from conception to discontinuance (535 domestic SKUs, 330 international SKUs). Strategic line logic (planning and execution) for consumable products in both domestic and international markets. Scentsy fragrance product evangelist (internal and external) and primary consumable subject matter expert. Provided ongoing analysis of fragrance sales, trending, and brand management. Implemented and led competitive business analysis and comparative product testing. Managed cross-functional teams to launch new product lines and product categories. Personally trained and mentored direct reports. Managed consumable vendor and filler relationships and communications, including multiple RFQ projects for new product launches, while successfully negotiating costs.
• Led consumable sales from $77M in 2009 to $306.8M in 2012, from 43% of total GAAP revenue in 2009 to 52% of total GAAP revenue in 2012 (Owners had final strategy, product and fragrance approval).
• Successfully conceived and implemented the first standardized quantitative and qualitative selection and discontinuance processes at Scentsy.
• Managed the successful development and launch of 10 new consumable product lines from 2009 through 2012, including 3 new lines to be launched in 2013-launch through Dec. 2012 revenues exceeding $76M.
• Validated product line expansion concepts through to launch using modified Agile/Scrum methodologies allowing for rapid “to market” delivery with the best possible ROI.
• 100% new consumable product delivery success rate, with every SKU delivered on time and on (or under) budget for more than three consecutive years.
• Streamlined and improved fragrance vendor relationships, eliminating two poor performing fragrance houses and developing successful partnerships with two new fragrance houses. Canyon Stone & Installation St. George, UT 2007 – late 2008 Director of Field Operations
Provided analysis and direction of existing product lines while creating and driving new concepts to market. Worked with manufacturing and sales to build excellence in product consistency and delivery. Successfully managed the installer base (64 people), including payroll, logistics, scheduling, shipping and materials management. Hired, reviewed and, as necessary, terminated employees. Customer service lead.
• Grew the business from $2.3 to $6.8 million in sales in less than 12 months by restructuring quality control and customer communications to prevent customer loss and earn new business—growing total market share from 30% to over 90% in our business segment.
• Managed the complete overhaul of all printed marketing materials, advertising and the company website, modernizing the look and feel of each while building brand recognition, resulting in consistent branding.
• Successfully rolled out 3 new highly profitable product lines by developing and evaluating new product concepts, color schemes and market viability, representing 35% of total sales. Education
BA, Public Relations, Dept. of Communications, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah 1993