Tran Tu Huynh, D.O.
Founder & Chief Medical Officer
Breast Surgical Oncology
Dr. Huynh is a Surgeon, Engineer and Entrepreneur. She is a highly driven and creative leader – as is evident in her myriad of experiences in research and innovation. She is dedicated to service and cultivating progress in improving patient outcomes. EDUCATION
Touro University, California – College of Osteopathic Medicine, Vallejo, CA Doctor of Osteopathy, June 2013
University of California, Davis – College of Engineering, Davis, CA Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering, June 2008 PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Breast Surgical Oncology Fellowship, Grant Medical Center, Columbus OH (2019-2020)
• Specialize in multi-disciplinary holistic breast cancer care including Surgical, Medical and Radiation Oncology, Radiology, Genetics, Medicine, Clinical trials and Outreach teams, with emphasis in collaboration, research and innovation to optimize care delivery, results and satisfaction.
• Work with different teams such as Cancer Committee and Graduate Medical Education Committee to advocate for quality care. Act as Departmental liaison in outreach activities.
• Work with, mentor and teach residents and medical students. General Surgery Residency, St. John’s Episcopal Hospital, Far Rockaway, NY (2013-2019)
• Trained in numerous surgical sub-specialties. Broad experience in working in different clinical settings from large world-renowned hospitals to community hospitals.
• Elevated training program by contributing to national publications, national presentations and community outreach.
• Extensive experience in mentoring and teaching residents and students.
• Broad experience working with different EMR and image viewing systems such as EPIC, AllScripts, and Meditech, VRAD, PACs and strong ability to quickly become familiar with different Digital Health platforms.
SurgARai (OpticSurg Inc), Founder and Chief Medical Officer (Founded 2017- Present)
• SurgARai is a medical software startup leveraging augmented reality and artificial intelligence to provide real-time tools to surgeons in the operating room.
• Created concept, raised capital, tested prototype and developed strategic partnerships with leading academic institutions, surgery centers, medical device companies, accelerators and clinical teams.
System Engineering Scientist – Life Technologies (June 2008-June 2009).
• Worked to enhance biological compatibility of magnetic nano-beads for DNA/ ligands manipulation for optimal efficiency and accuracy.
Project Coordinator: Wrist-ring Inc (June - November 2005)
• Led team in devising strategies and business plan for an orthopedics device. LEADERSHIP AND AWARDS
VRAR Association – Health Tech Committee, Co-chair (2019 – Present) Led the global ecosystem (Europe, North America, Middle East, and Asia) to drive innovation and promote cutting edge Virtual, Augmented, and Mixed Reality tools to optimize the continuum of healthcare.
American College of Osteopathic Surgeons – 2019 ACOS National Resident Achievement Award American College of Osteopathic Surgeons – National Resident Leadership Council (2017-2018) Member at Large. Represented and was a leading a voice to promote National Surgical Resident leadership, involvement, career advancement and progress. Touro University, California – President, Student Government Association (2010-2011) Elected to lead all the professional colleges and students of the University. Worked with University administration regarding budget allocations, new initiatives, and bylaws. HELP – Help and Education Leading to Prevention. Founder and President (2004-2008) Founded grassroots organization that worked with the Davis community to fight poverty focusing on education, service, and advocacy. Created, mobilized, and deployed programs that provided meals, mentoring, and career placement assistance. PATENTS, TRADEMARKS & GRANTS
Official USPTO Notice of Allowance: U.S. Trademark SN 88036847: OPTICSURG. July 2019. Patent Pending – USPTO: TUHU-P001. Method and System for Optimizing Healthcare Delivery. March 2017.
President’s Undergraduate Fellowship Grant – 2007 – Research in Stem Cell Tissue Engineering. RESEARCH
Senior Engineering Project (2007-2008) – Radio Frequency Ablation – assemble, program, and test radio frequency effects on different biological tissues and cancer cells. Research Assistant for Dr.Ting Guo: (Jan 2004 – Jan 2008) - research concerning metallic nanoparticles to help augment, direct, and enhance cancer therapy – biological and radiation- based treatments.
Research Assistant for Dr. Kent Leach: (Fall 2005 – June 2008) - research concerning tissue engineering, gene expression, gene therapy, bone engineering, angiogenesis, and wound healing. Research Assistant for Dr. Karen Reiser via Center for Biophotonics Science & Technology: (June
- September 2004) - research concerning artificial tissue and bone engineering. PRESENTATIONS
“Geriatrics Surgery – Are Nursing Home patients more affected in outcome?” National - ACOS
(American College of Osteopathic Surgeons) Annual Symposium, 2019.
“Atypical Ductal Hyperplasia – Is Age a risk factor?” National - ACOS Annual Symposium, 2019.
“Role of implementing Proning Protocol as rescue treatment for severe ARDS in trauma patients - a Level 2 Trauma Center experience.” National - ACOS Annual Symposium, 2017. PRESENTATIONS - CONTINUED
“Fatal cause of Pasteurella leading to Compartment Syndrome and Bacteremia sepsis in Cirrhotic patient.” National - ACOS Annual Symposium, 2016.
“Post Trauma Complex Heel Reconstruction with Sural Flap.” National - ACOS Annual Symposium, 2016.
“Ileosigmoid Knotting – Case report and Literature review.” National - ACOS Annual Symposium, 2015.
“Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans recurrence at the Scalp – Case report and Literature Review” National - ACOS Annual Symposium, 2015.
“Promotion of wound healing via fibrin-bioglass complex.” University of California, Undergraduate Research 2007 Conference.
“X-ray in Cancer Research.” University of California, Undergraduate Research 2006 Conference.
“Nano Enhanced X-ray Tests.” Center for Biophotonics Science and Technology 2005 Presentations.
“Tissue Engineering: incorporating artificial collagen and Second Harmonic Generation.” Center for Biophotonics Science and Technology 2004 Presentations. PUBLICATIONS
“Fatal Pasteurella Necrotizing Skin Infection in Cirrhotic patient.” Manuscript Pending Acceptance.
“Role of Proning Protocol as rescue treatment for severe ARDS in trauma patients.” July 2018.
“Acute abdomen from Kayexalate Utilization.” Journal of Clinical Case Reports. 2016.
“Ileosigmoid Knotting – A rare but treacherous cause of closed loop obstruction.” American Surgeon. December 2016. Epublication.
“Effects of ionizing radiation on gold nanoparticle-DNA conjugates.” Carter, Joshua D.; Guo, Ting; Huynh, Tu Tran. Abstracts of Papers, 232nd ACS National Meeting, San Francisco, CA, Sept. 10-14, 2006. Publisher: American Chemical Society.
“Nano Enhanced X-ray Tests.” CBST Summer Interns 2005 (http://cbst.ucdavis.edu/). PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS
American Society of Breast Surgeons – Member 2019 – Present Society of Surgical Oncology – Member 2019 – Present Association of Women Surgeons – Member 2017 – Present Society of Physician Entrepreneurs – Member 2017 – Present American Osteopathic Association – Member 2013 – Present American College of Osteopathic Surgeons – Member 2013 – Present Committee of Interns and Residents – Member 2013 – 2019