MICHAEL G. OLSON
Why do I design? Today, we live in a world where people are bombarded with thousands of words and images each day. Creating attention-grabbing and visually compelling imagery has never been more critical. I’ve always been interested in drawing and graphics, and this has led to a career where I can apply my interests and passion for design. I thrive on the challenge of creating graphics and layouts that are relevant, and even fun, and that will have an impact on the viewer. Work Experience and Results
Freelance Graphic Designer, New York, July 2016 – Present
• Created and managed a range of projects including print advertising, brochures, packaging, advertorials, and various collateral materials for corporate and retail clients. Dempsey & Carroll Stationers, New York, July 2014 – July 2016 Art Director and lead sales associate
• My designs for premium priced, bespoke stationery generated the main source of company revenues.
• Designed retail product lines and seasonal inventory.
• Developed a new client base with whom I collaborated to design original artwork for special events, vehicle ornamentation, branding identities and original logos. This product area became a new, and lucrative source of revenue for the company. Freelance Graphic Designer, New York, 2007 – 2014
• Created and managed a range of projects that included print advertising, brochures, packaging, advertorials, and various collateral materials for a variety of corporate and retail clients.
More Magazine, Meredith Publications, New York, 2004 – 2007 Art Director for marketing and advertising
• Recognized by corporate CEO and management team with numerous awards for corporate design excellence.
• Designed and produced all marketing, advertising and collateral materials for national monthly publication. Created advertising concepts, special event materials and sales presentations for sales team of eight people.
• Consistently under budget on advertorial production and marketing events. Brocato America, New York, 2002 – 2004
Art Director of Marketing and Advertising
• Products for which I redesigned the packaging increased in sales by 40%.
• Designed marketing materials, print advertising and new packaging for hair and beauty products company.
• Consistently stayed under budget while selecting all photographers, stylists and models for all photo shoots.
Hollywood Entertainment, Portland, Oregon 1998–2002 Art Director of Marketing and Corporate Publications
• Designed collateral and promotional materials to support national brand of Hollywood Video and corporate office.
• Established and managed printing and production schedules while consistently staying under budget and delivering promotional materials on time.
• Led a team of six designers and freelance assistants. Bon Appétit Magazine, New York, 1995 – 1998
Promotion Senior Designer
• Designed the magazine’s monthly newsletter, which won a Condé Nast corporate award for design excellence.
• Designed and produced advertising, promotional and marketing materials for highly successful national publication.
John Kneapler Design, New York, 1992 – 1994
• Created print materials such as annual reports and corporate branding materials for primarily financial and healthcare sector clients. Mobium Design, New York, 1989 – 1992
• Designed annual reports, media kits, advertising and collateral materials. Skills
• Adobe Design Suite: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator Interpersonal
• Collaborative team-player and inspirational leader
• Thoughtful and strategic problem solver
• Known for my ability to develop exceptional relationships with clients Education
Parsons School of Design, New York, NY 1985–1988
BFA, Graphic/Communication Design
• Graduated with Honors and received Department Chair commendation.
• Awarded a work-study internship at Rolling Stone magazine during sophomore year, and asked to continue on after the completion of internship.
• During junior and senior years, held a full-time position as an assistant art director at Art & Antiques Magazine, working with an award-winning art director. Appraisal Studies Program, New York University, New York, NY 2008
• Successful completion of 10 course certificate program, which is endorsed by The Appraisers Association of America.
Michael G. Olson – continued