Mattu Varun Rao
A creative and result-oriented graduate with combined interests in the technical and commercial aspects of the aviation industry. Has been an aviation geek since childhood which has led to deep interests in the design, manufacture and working of aircraft with special focus on aircraft engines. Fluent in multiple languages having studied in various places thus cultivating strong interpersonal and communication skills with people from different backgrounds and cultures. Possesses a flexible approach and enjoys working in a dynamic environment. Strong- willed and persistent in obtaining results of the highest standards while exhibiting strong moral and ethical values. Passionate above all to succeed within the global aviation industry. KEY ACHIEVEMENTS
• Chosen as Secretary of Indian Cultural Association, a club in National Institute of Technology Calicut (NITC), India.
• Negotiated a club record sponsorship deal of INR 25,000 from a single sponsor.
• Selected as Coordinator of Couture Boulevard, one of two big night-time events during Ragam (cultural fest of NIT Calicut). Led team of 30 coordinating between two different participant stations; a first. Broke norm by appointing a female student as succeeding coordinator to ensure equal opportunities, a first in NITC.
• Campus Leader (2017-2018) for Teach for India (TFI), an organisation dedicated to eradicating educational inequity in India. Organised a presentation by a TFI executive; a first on campus.
• Selected as Director of Marketing for the 50th Engine Systems Symposium of the Thermal Power MSc at Cranfield University.
MSc THERMAL POWER (AEROSPACE PROPULSION): CRANFIELD UNIVERSITY, CRANFIELD, UK
(OCTOBER 2018 - SEPTEMBER 2019)
• Modules: Turbomachinery and Blade Cooling, Combustors, Engine Systems, Gas Turbine Theory and Performance, Simulation and Diagnostics, Mechanical Design of Turbomachinery, Propulsion System Performance and Integration, Management for Technology.
• Individual Thesis: Investigation of ‘Fuel Return To Tank’ for UltraFanTM Thermal Management (under Rolls- Royce University Technology Centre).
B.TECH MECHANICAL ENGINEERING: NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY CALICUT, INDIA (AUGUST 2014 - APRIL 2018)
• Modules: Mechanics and Dynamics of Machinery, Mechanics of Solids, Fluid Mechanics and Machinery, Automobile Engineering, Gas Dynamics, Heat Transfer, Thermodynamics, Thermal Engineering, Machine Design, Operations Research, Supply Chain Management, Industrial Economics, Project Engineering.
• Group Project: Acoustic Energy Harvester. Awarded Rs. 10,000 in the contest conducted by KSCSTE.
• Individual Seminar: Alternate Fuels for Gas Turbines. CAREER HISTORY
INTERN AT COASTAL AVIATION TANZANIA LTD (MAY 2017 - JULY 2017)
• Interned with maintenance department primarily under Engine and Airframe engineers. Made a report of each day’s proceedings.
• Worked on aircraft such as Cessna 172 and Cessna 208. Was part of a ground run and test flight of a Cessna 208.
• Aided engineers with multiple Hot Section Inspections on Pratt and Whitney PT6 turboprop engine along with Engine Changes.
• Assisted with remake of elevator and wing sections of a Cessna 172 during its overhaul. SKILLS, INTERESTS AND EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
• Languages: Fluent in English, Hindi, Tamil, Kannada and Tulu with limited proficiency in French, Malayalam and Swahili.
• IT Skills: Confident user of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint with previous experience in MATLAB and C++ and TURBOMATCH (Cranfield University’s in-house Engine Cycle Design and Performance Modelling tool). Currently learning Machine Learning with Python.
• Individual Interests: A keen self-taught guitarist with aim of becoming a multi-instrumentalist. Loves all kinds of sport, especially Football, Swimming and Carrom. Enjoys teaching and mentoring, especially children. Has an interest in Investment and Finance.
• Technical Training: Completed a certified course of design software from CADD Centre (AutoCad 2D, SolidWorks, ANSYS, CATIA, GD&T).