ROBERT J. MERLINO, CPA
Financial professional with 20 years of progressive experience in financial analysis and financial reporting. Possesses a wide range of abilities including strong written and verbal communication skills utilized in presenting to senior management and boards. Independent worker accustomed to working in a fast-paced team environment.
SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT, FINANCE AND SENIOR ANALYST (2007-CURRENT) CAPGEN FINANICAL, NEW YORK, NEW YORK
• Member of a first time Private Equity Firm focusing exclusively on the financial services sector.
• Developed the firm’s financial reporting and compliance policies.
• Responsible for annual budget and cash flow management.
• Routinely responded to inquiries from CapGen’s limited partners including providing progress reports on investments.
• Made quarterly presentations to CapGen’s investment committee and Advisory Board highlighting financial results and strategies of companies.
• Authored CapGen’s quarterly investor letter.
• Led CapGen’s annual regulatory examinations.
• Created valuation models for non-public investments
• Performed final review of financial statements prior to distribution to all investors.
• Worked directly with outside accountants on year-end audits and tax returns.
• Exclusively responsible for modeling all investment opportunities.
• Analyzed over 300 investment opportunities and was often the first team member to review opportunities. Completed investments of $410 million into six community banks.
Worked directly with Boards and senior management of all banks to review operational strategies.
Created performance dashboards to perform monthly, quarterly and annual budget variance analysis.
Each bank’s financial/operational results improved significantly. Most notably from a negative ROA of (4%) to positive ROA of 1% making the company a top performer among peer group.
The six banks grew from approximately $10 billion in assets to over $30 billion in assets.
CONTROLLER AND SENIOR ANALYST (2004-2007)
KEEFE MANAGERS LLC & KEEFE VENTURES LLC, NEW YORK, NEW YORK
• Worked directly with CFO in all areas of accounting and financial reporting of $250 million Hedge Fund and broker-dealer including monthly close, quarterly statements and annual audit/tax return.
• Developed model reducing time to perform daily trading reconciliation from 2 hours to less than 30 minutes.
• Prepared presentations on strategic alternatives and assisted in presenting to numerous Boards of Directors.
SENIOR STAFF ACCOUNTANT/STAFF ACCOUNTANT (1998-2004) MALESARDI, QUACKENBUSH, SWIFT & COMPANY LLC, ENGLEWOOD, NJ
• Performed all areas of audit testing and documentation and reported results to senior management and Boards.
• Prepared financial statements on cash, accrual, and tax basis.
• Prepared cash flow projections and budgets.
• Performed detailed internal control reviews.
• Recommended improvements in system procedures, documentation, and internal control for clients.
• Responsible for year-end tax planning for individual and corporate clients. EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
• Saint Joseph’s University, Bachelor of Science in Accounting, 1998
• Certified Public Accountant, State of New Jersey
• Held NASD Series 7, 63, 65 Licenses while at Keefe Ventures, LLC