Senior/Lead Mainframe Developer
Edwin is a very technical and functionally strong Mainframe developer with over 10 years of IT experience. He has vast experience in Mainframe Development and worked in various areas within Healthcare and Insurance domains. He has extensive experience in analyzing data flow with accuracy and ability to follow multi-layer architecture. He has solid understanding of different phases of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) using Waterfall, Agile Methodologies and SAFe. He has strong analytical, interpersonal communication, excellent problem-solving skills, self-motivated and a good team player.
Operating System IBM z/OS, Unix
Programming Languages COBOL, PL/1, JCL, CICS, SAS, SQL Databases & Tools DB2, VSAM, IMS, TableBase
Mainframe tools TSO/ISPF, Endevor, Changeman, File Aid, SPUFI, Fault Analyzer, Xpediter Secondary Skills Shell Scripting, C++
Others Github, Gitlab, Jenkins, CI/CD
Lead Mainframe Support: Policy Benefits
Northwestern Mutual – Franklin, Wisconsin
July 2019 – Till date
• Onshore mainframe support lead for Policy Benefits, handling mostly disability insurance and long-term care policies.
• Handled a team of 9 offshore resources, providing guidance and instructions, following standard industry practices.
• Reviewed all changes, activities and tasks done by the team to ensure better quality and customer experience.
• Primary On-Call person acknowledging incidents and alerts(PagerDuty).
• Trouble-shoot critical problems and provided quick solution for the root cause.
• Worked closely with application users, paying attention to their concerns and providing clear solutions, regular updates for ongoing requests/issues.
• Provided continuous monitoring of the incident management tool (Cherwell) regularly for status and resolution details.
• Monitor Gun-metal, Dynatrace alerts regularly and ensures system health and performance.
• Monitor mainframe nightly batch for any failures and other error messages.
• Resolved multiple production job failures on the critical batch cycle which involves payments to Customers.
• Provided workaround for users facing any critical issues with the applications so as not to impact business until a permanent fix is implemented.
• Analyzed application logs to trouble shoot application errors and issues reported by users.
• Performed weekly checkouts after the maintenance window ensuring all the application functionalities.
• Reported all application issues immediately to business users and work with Critical Incident response team for top priority issues.
• Worked with multiple external teams within the organization, integrating and testing their changes.
• Established a good relationship with business management team, earning their trust and confidence. firstname.lastname@example.org 414-***-****
Senior Developer: Annuities
Northwestern Mutual – Franklin, Wisconsin
May 2017 – June 2019.
• As part of SAFe, involved in developing mainframe code to meet the requirements that are provided by the business team to enhance Northwestern Mutual Home-grown Annuity applications like App Input, Annuity Issue Desktop and Annuity Service.
• Modified the existing application to meet client changing needs, code development, conducted unit and regression testing and deploy code to production environment.
• Utilized the extensive experience in Mainframe technologies for coding, testing and system testing
• Conducted multiple demo for the changes to the Product owners after every iteration during the program increment.
• Attended daily standup meetings to discuss the progress with the team, attend other Agile ceremonies and planning events.
• Involved in Requirement analysis, Impact analysis, participation in Client or Business walkthrough and review business requirement.
• Prepared logical application architecture design, functional design, application design specification and program specification.
• Support activities that would need during the business hours.
• He is also responsible for maintaining the code in version controlling tools like GitHub and follow CI/CD
(Continuous integration continuous delivery) process. He is also responsible to test all the changes and deploy code to production environment.
• Provide support during the System Testing and User Acceptance test and deliver the system for production.
• Maintained the code in version controlling tools like GitHub and have good knowledge in CI/CD process. Lead Mainframe System Analyst: PRIME (Proposal, Rating, Installation, Maintenance, and Express billing system)
United Health Care - New Jersey, Basking Ridge
February 2015– April 2017.
• Worked as a Lead Mainframe Systems Analyst for on-going management and maintenance with responsibility of handling software enhancement for Mainframe systems.
• Responsible for understanding Business and Technology of client system.
• Analyzed COBOL programs to understand the business functionality and provide documentation to development team for upcoming changes.
• Resolve queries raised by the QA team and development regarding functional requirements.
• Validated technical designs created by IT developers against system specifications.
• Worked with both Waterfall and Agile Methodology involved in daily scrum meetings, sprint planning, product backlogs, Document User Stories and the acceptance criteria for each of the stories and post them onto Rally Portal.
• Attended the daily scrum meetings to record status updates for the dashboard and then follow up on action items to ensure smooth functioning of the project.
• Responsible for preparing Scope and approach, Systems requirement inventory documents that provides technical solutions to various business scenarios.
• Responsible for coordinating structured peer reviews and document walkthroughs of system analysis deliverables like System Requirements Specification and Technical Specification.
• As a Lead Systems Analyst, closely interacting with the QA (Quality Assurance) team to help them relate the new business requirements with the existing functionalities. He coordinated between the Client and Offshore Team during all phases of the project.
Senior Mainframe Developer: FSG CSP (Facets Community Platform) United Health Care - New Jersey, Basking Ridge
April 2014– January 2015
• Worked as a Mainframe developer for FACETS platform for a New York State specific enrollment process.
• Developed membership enrolment in CSP Facets and other membership related activities mostly that can be handled only at onsite due to state mandated rules.
• Worked creating new enrollment process with the ANSI 834 Enrollment Implementation Format files.
• Worked with Business Analysts to understand the requirements and prepared design document as per business requirements.
• Analyzed the requirements/design and provide technical solutions as per the business scenarios.
• Ensured code quality by doing Code Review with peers. Performing coding and unit testing for the requirements provided.
• Fixed any defects found in QA and UAT testing and deploy the changes to production. Mainframe Developer: Facets to Facets Migration
United Health Care – India, Hyderabad
September 2012– March 2014
• Responsible for understanding client processes and work efficiently to meet targets and deliver solutions in accordance with quality control and business practices and procedures.
• Key liaison between UHG – FSG and offshore development team in India.
• Involved in different phases of SDLC life cycle – Requirement gathering, Analysis and Design, Testing and deliverables.
• Involved in the preparation of the following various technical and functional documents (where applicable depending on the request types) Requirement Specification document, High level Analysis and Approach document, High level design document, Detailed Design Document, System test plan and test procedure document and implementation plans.
Mainframe Support: UHG UMR CPS
United Health Care – India, Hyderabad
January 2010– August 2012
• Specialized in estimations and analyzing requirements from client and handling user call/queries.
• Involved in Production Support activities thereby capable of rapidly learning new technologies and processes, and successfully applying them to projects and operations.
• Point of contact for fee loads within the application.
• Engaged in the User Acceptance Testing and Performance Testing team and ensuring the application developed is compliant with Project’s performance standards.
• Created various Technical Design for processing the CPS system new business and SPRFs for releases. He was involved in the analysis and preparation of System specification and Technical specifications from the Business requirements provided by the Client.
• Part of the Development team and expert in Batch System’s functionality and technicality analyze the business and system requirements and obtain clarifications and develop High Level Design (HLD).