TRACY D. PORTER
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23451
Ladies and Gentlemen:
I am extremely interested in exploring a career opportunity with your organization. Enclosed is my resume for your review and consideration.
You will note that I am degreed and offer over 20 years experience in various consultative sales and market management responsibilities with demonstrated success. Throughout my background I have become known for intuitive skills in relationship building and keen ability to handle the diverse and multiple levels of responsibility associated with client services in complex medical technology and services market sectors.
My award-winning track record is a reflection of my personal dedication, versatility and productivity, and proven ability to exploit market prospects and deliver well above quota results. In addition to the diverse core competencies detailed on my attached resume, I possess a well established book of medical clients throughout markets in VA, DC, MD and NC. I also have highly developed computer and administrative skills, with extensive experience executing back office responsibilities in both fixed and travelling modalities.
Based on these factors and a review of my career highlights summarized below, I would appreciate an opportunity to discuss with you, in person, how my qualifications would match your needs. I am certain I could pinpoint additional areas of expertise which would enhance my contributions as an integral member of your organizational team.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Tracy D. Porter
TRACY D. PORTER
517 24 Street
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23451
Consultative Sales Professional / Market - Territory Manager / Medical Specialist
Offering an impressive background based on formal training and over 20 years award-winning experience in medical sales and product / service support throughout VA, MD, DC & NC markets. Career has demonstrated superior personal initiative, business development expertise, metrics enhancement creativity, and consistent performance success.
Seasoned consultative sales professional and territory manager with a proven background of contribution to the sustained growth and profitability of employers in highly competitive medical device and pharmaceutical sales sectors.
Intuitive, versatile, energetic and productive over-achiever accustomed to daily exchange with senior decision makers in high-profile markets requiring effective product/service consultation, authoritative discourse, diplomatic sales negotiation, and strict attention to detail. Consistently ranked in the Top 10% of highly competitive groups of peer professionals.
• Savvy Communicator, Negotiator and Program Diplomat • Effective Customer / Consumer / User Training and Coaching
• New Business Development / Market-Footprint Expansion • Analysis of Business & Market Intelligence and Metrics
• Program Startups & Turnarounds / New Product Launches • Over 15 Years Experience in the OR as Technical Advisor
• Sales Force / ACT / MS Office / Remote Office / “i” Tech • Networking / Relationship Building / Value-added Services
• Research & Report Writing / Executive Board Presentations • Trade Shows / Large-scale Marketing Campaigns / Media
• Hospital / Buyer / Specialist / Buy & Bill Market Sectors • Office Operations & Administrative Team Management
• Statewide Territory / Market / Footprint Management • Lead Solicitation, Cold Calling, Referral Follow-up
• In-Services, Special Events & Placement Follow-ups • Remote Office Technologies / Suitcase Operations
• Marketing, Public Relations & Image Building • Sales Team Training & Coaching / Performance Oversight
EXPERIENCE HISTORY & HIGHLIGHTS
JOHNSON & JOHNSON - ETHICON DIVISION – Somerville, New Jersey
American multinational medical devices, pharmaceutical and consumer packaged goods manufacturer, ranked #37 on the F500 list
Specialty Sales Executive / Hospital Rep / Field Sales Trainer - Tidewater & Eastern Shore of Virginia Market (2/15-3/19)
• Employed 14 years with a $5B subsidiary of the Johnson & Johnson organization which manufactures and distributes surgical sutures, wound closure devices and surgical instruments for distribution globally. Ethicon's market share in surgical sutures rose from 15% to 70% worldwide and held an 80% market share in the U.S.
• After nearly 11 years successful market representation in the Washington DC (Beltway) area (see below), relocated to the Tidewater, VA region to take charge of a fledgling territory that ranged from Williamsburg to all southside Hampton Roads and the Eastern Shore of Virginia. Delivered four years sustained growth prior to layoff based on corporate downsizing initiative.
• Marketed, solicited, sold and serviced Ethicon’s comprehensive and high-end line of surgical devices to hospitals, specialists, clinics, and other prospective users throughout the region. Sold devices to support bariatric, thoracic, laparoscopic, urologic, general, gastro-enterological, and oncological surgeries. Regularly provided on-site consultative support during surgeries.
• Synthesized market research and customer feedback to provide corporate product engineers with critical design enhancements.
• Solicited and secured corporate purchase contracts to bolster sales and market share. Followed up to ensure compliance.
• As the Certified Trainer of Field Representatives for the Mid-Atlantic Region, developed and delivered individualized training programs for newly hired sales representatives, most of whom developed into top sales producers and certified trainers.
• Applied proven market development techniques to rapidly achieve noteworthy successes that included:
-Ranked #1 of 60 peers in all performance metrics in FY2017. Selected to Ethicon’s prestigious President’s Club.
-Awarded three Sales Club Memberships and Knock-Out Awards for defending and growing business in the highly competitive Hampton Roads market (U.S. Market #44).
-Launched 12 new products during 14-year tenure, 8 of which reached #1 in local market share, boosting the national share.
-Regularly delivered in-services, lunch ‘n learns, and other training forums on Ethicon products and the proper use thereof.
Specialty Sales Representative – Northern VA / Southern MD Market (10/04-1/15)
• Served initial 10+ years with Ethicon covering the greater Beltway region. Achieved Top 10% in sales production, market share growth, customer satisfaction and customer retention in the entire company in each of the first five years of service (2005-2010).
• Fulfilled essentially the same responsibilities as in the Hampton Roads market, building relationships with surgeons, hospital administrators, key buyers, material managers, specialists, and other major players in the greater Capitol region.
• Captured and sustained better than national averages in market share, ranging from 82-95% during tenure.
• Won numerous awards for successful production launches, customer satisfaction survey scores, sales against quota, etc.
• Won over several major surgeons in the region to the Ethicon line based on value-added and consultative support services.
TRACY D. PORTER Page 2
MEDTRONIC – Newport News, Virginia
Clinical Sales Support Specialist, Cardiac Rhythm Management – Hampton Roads, VA/NC Market (1/03-9/04)
• Provided field support to customers after their purchase of implantable devices. Delivered education, OR and Cath lab consulting, coordination of device and program tests, and troubleshooting pertaining to all facets of device implanting and follow-up monitoring / support activities.
• Supported sales personnel with expertise in cardiac medicine for their customers to drive sales and increase market share. Examined cases provided by cardiologists to develop profiles and recommendations for appropriate devices / surgeries.
• Provided on-site guidance during implant surgeries involving pacemakers, defibrillators, and cardiac resynchronization devices.
• Frequently assisted other Medtronic team members to pull through sales in other service disciplines.
• Surpassed all performance metrics throughout tenure. Reason for leaving: offered a prestigious position with Ethicon.
UPSHER-SMITH LABORATORIES, LLC – Maple Grove, Minnesota
U.S. pharmaceutical company that has delivered generic medications for nearly a century.
Pharmaceutical Sales Representative – Baltimore, MD Market (12/00-1/03)
• Recruited to break ground in the Beltway market for Upsher-Smith’s anti-arrhythmic drug called Pacerone.
• Circuited all key prospective script writing sources and orchestrated a busy roster of networking events to attract new clients that included both military and civilian market sectors.
• Utilized professional education forums and multi-source (direct mail, mass emails, media ads, published ads, etc.) channels to distribute clinical data to promote awareness, increase visibility and build product confidence.
• Grew market share from “0” to 40% during tenure, vaulting Pacerone to a top product of choice for cardiologists.
• Upsold 25% of customers from generic to brand name pharmaceuticals annually.
• Achieved and sustained a better than 90% customer retention rate throughout 2-year tenure.
• Reason for leaving: offered the opportunity to transition into the medical device arena.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATION
OLD DOMINION UNIVERSITY - Norfolk, Virginia
Bachelor of Science in Sports Medicine (1990)
• Business Code of Ethics for the Medical Sales Professional Course (2019)
• Courses in the Anti-Kickback Statute & The Stark Law (2019)
• Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Course in Workplace Safety (2019)
• Science of Tissue Management Certified in Surgical Stapler / Ultrasonic / Bipolar Devices (2019)
• Attended numerous seminars and professional skill development programs throughout career covering topics in: Selling to Medical Professionals, Effective Time & Territory Management, Total Quality / Value Added Sales, Covey’s 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Digital Communication, Computer Technology, etc. (list available)
• Available immediately. Willing to travel. Prefer the greater Hampton Roads employment base.
• Active volunteer and participant in various professional and civic affiliations such as Wounded Warrior;
Honor Flights; Judeo-Christian Outreach Center (Soup Kitchen); WWII Veterans; etc.
• List of References and Salary History furnished upon request.