Summary of Qualiﬁcations
John has a proven track record for strategic planning and implementation. He has delivered veriﬁable success results in transformation, revenue growth and innovation. At the time of this writing, John just ﬁnished a six month project with the 3rd largest logistics and transportation company in the Philippines. With this, he acquired an in-depth knowledge of the business models and internal and external workings of all 18 business within, ranging from Freight Forwarding, Logistics IT Solutions, P2P Bus Transport, Door-to-Door Delivery, Distribution, VMI Warehousing, Cross-border Logistics and Brokerage. Prior to that, he worked at American Data Exchange Corp. (ADEC Innovations). John was the Vice President and Head of Revenue Generation, SSG (Commercial Management) and Marketing Support. Within four months he was able to generate unprecedented revenue growth in the Philippines. As the head of marketing he was able to reorganize the marketing support group into a global marketing delivery center. During this time he also acquired commercial knowledge of Software Development and Big Data Analytics with a focus on Environmental, Social and Governance Solutions.
John was co-founder and Chief Strategist of Black Arrow Express (AAI Logistics Cargo Express Inc.). John developed the corporate strategic plan for Black Arrow Express (BAE) and AAI Group of Companies. During his tenure, John introduced an omni-channel solution for ABS-CBN on a same-day turn-around-time. TV Plus orders were managed from 5 different channels to include: Online, Field and Accredited Agents. Orders were channeled into BAE’s Cloud-based Client Access System (CAS). A version of CAS was later adapted by other direct clients such as Bench Online and later Calyxta, where BAE provides end-to-end eCommerce fulﬁllment from Warehousing, Pick-and-Pack (Kitting) to Last-Mile dispatch with Realtime Track & Trace. John also introduced the concept of micro-warehousing across 15 last-mile hubs for nationwide same-day delivery. BAE was a pioneer in seamless system integrated logistics for eCommerce and later came into partnership with Shopee.
As a Regional Strategic Development Consultant, John worked with key clients such as Philips and Max’s Group of Companies. His strategic planning work paved the way for his clients’ corporate strategy and business model revisions. His regional consulting work includes developing the Star Media group’s growth initiatives in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia where he developed the growth strategies and work-plans for 5 business units. This engagement was delivered with him as a Project Leader working through the Blue Ocean Strategy Regional Center in KL.
John also has 13 years of Economic Development Planning for Overseas Development Agencies and the Private Sector. He has extensive Field experience in Field Analysis, Program Design and Management. He is a Specialist in Enterprise Development and Business Planning and has long- term experience in conducting Sectoral and Value Chain Analysis on Field. John Walter S. Baybay
LEAD CONSULTANT FOR STRATEGIC TRANSFORMATION : LINA GROUP OF COMPANIES JUNE 2019 - JANUARY 2020
Developed 18 transformative business plans of the the 3rd largest logistics and transport group in the Philippines. Companies include Air 21, UBE Express (P2P) and eKonek to name a few. VICE PRESIDENT FOR REVENUE GENERATION AND SSG: ADEC INNOVATIONS AUGUST 2018 - MARCH 2019
Headed business corplan, SSG (commercial management), and marketing. Created new revenue streams for ADEC’s Software development and reorganized Marketing as a global delivery center. CHIEF STRATEGIST, CO-FOUNDER AND VP FOR MARCOM: BLACK ARROW EXPRESS FEBRUARY 2016 - FEBRUARY 2018
Created the Corporate Business Plan for Black Arrow Express, organized the pioneer group and orchestrated the company’s entry into the eCommerce fulﬁllment segment. SENIOR CONSULTANT : BLUE OCEAN STRATEGY REGIONAL CTR., HUMAN CAPITAL ASIA INC. 2010 - 2015
Worked with BOSRC in Kuala Lumpur and Human Capital Asia delivering corporate strategic planning for regional clients .Notable projects include: Max’s Group of Companies Blue Ocean Strategy and The Star Media Group in Kuala Lumpur.
CONSULTANT / ECONOMIST: GOLDFIELDS - FAR SOUTH EAST (FSE PROJECT) FEB 2012 - JAN 2013
Provided the corporate strategic roadmap and logical framework (work-plan) for Corporate Sustainable Development using ﬁeld-based Sub-Sectoral Analysis and VCA. COUNTRY MANAGER: BLUE OCEAN STRATEGY PHILIPPINES
FEB – JUL 2009
Served as the seconded custodian of the ﬁrm in formation. CO-FOUNDER: GRANTRAIL CYCLES
Co Founded Grantrail Cycles (GTC) as the company’s Marketing and PR lead. Grantrail Cycles has since grown to a multi- million Peso company.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR AND CO-FOUNDER: PHILIPPINE YOUTH BUSINESS FOUNDATION MAR 2003 - NOV 2008
Founded a social enterprise under a partnership between the ILO, The Prince of Wales International Business Leaders’ Forum, The British Government and the Private Sector. PROGRAMME MANAGER: INTERNATIONAL LABOUR ORGANIZATION 2001 - 2003
Spearheaded a pilot project in partnership with the ILO, The Prince of Wales IBLF. ASSISTANT VP BARONS MARKETING CORP. (A FAMILY CORPORATION): 1995 - 2001
Managed a telemarketing outﬁt of up to 104 agents and managed the key accounts of the company. OTHER NOTABLE PROJECTS
• February 2019, Lead Consultant: Conﬁdential. - Feasibility Study for Cargo Business of a leading inter-island ferry company
• May 2015 - January 2016, Project Leader and Consultant: AAI Group of Companies. Developed the feasibility project launched Black Arrow Express into a working business unit.
• November 2014 - January 2015, Consultant: A2Z Logistics Inc. Strategic Planning with an emphasis mapping the Customer Journey resulting in improved service response and streamlining
• December 2013 - August 2014, Consultant / Coach: Light N’ Up Enterprises Inc. – Strategic Development using Blue Ocean Strategy (BOS) Executive Coaching and Organizational Development. Brand Strategies for Pinarello, Cervelo, Felt, 2XU and Zoot
• May 2013 – July 2013, Consultant and Project Leader for Blue Ocean Strategy Regional Centre: For Star Media Group, Malaysia – Development of Media Group’s Strategic Project Portfolio, Workplanning and Mainstreaming / Execution across 5 Media Platforms
• Feb 2012 – January 2013, Consultant / Economist: Gold Fields – Sectoral Analysis (via Value Chain Analysis) of Benguet and Enterprise Development Road Map for Gold Fields (GF). Drafted the development strategy for the Agricultural Sector of the Municipality of Mankayan, Benguet.
• November 2012, Consultant: Krispy Kreme- Strategic Development using Blue Ocean Strategy (BOS)
• October – November 2012, Consultant: Republic of the Philippines DSWD – Project Planning and Monitoring with an emphasis on using Logical Framework Matrix (LFM) used for Conditional Cash Transfer Scheme
• August 2012, Consultant: Jamba Juice - Strategic Development strategy using Blue Ocean Strategy (BOS)
• March 2012, Consultant: Divina Law – Brand Development using BOS resulting in a deﬁned tagline used internally and externally: “Dynamic Lawyering”
• December 2011, Consultant: Micro Warehouse Group of Companies - Strategic Development Project using BOS: Determine the strategic direction for 3 Business Units.
• August - September 2011, Consultant: Max’s Group of Companies - Strategic Development Project using BOS: This project led to a repositioning of the Max’s Online Delivery business and the creation of Max’s Small Catering unit. The result is more than 100% in comparative sales over 2010 and the creation of new service platforms
• August - September 2011, Consultant: Philips Lighting Sector - Strategic Development Project using BOS: This project resulted in a major business model revision in the “Turn-Key Projects and LED” division of the lighting sector.
• September - November 2010, Consultant: Krispy Kreme Philippines - Strategic Development Project using BOS: This resulted in a 15% increase in comparative sales from 2009 through the addition of complementing products and a re-designing of the customer experience.
• August - September 2010, Consultant: Hinge Inquirer Publication - Strategic Development Project using BOS. The result was new titles such as Click Showbiz Magazine
• October 2009 - February 2010: Sta. Elena Properties (A Rustan’s Company) - Strategic Development Project and Planning using BOS for brand repositioning EDUCATION
• Attendance: 1999 - 2001, Executive Masters of Business Administration, Asian Institute of Management
• 1990 - 1994, Bachelor of Arts, Fordham University, NY, NY
• 1988 - 1990, Secondary School Diploma, St. John’s Preparatory School, Astoria, NY
• 1978 - 1987, Primary School Diploma, De La Salle Greenhills, San Juan, Philippines RELEVANT TRAINING
• 2012 Asian Development Bank (ADB), Inclusive Business Practices
• 2009 Blue Ocean Strategy (BOS)
• Practitioners Course (For Consultants), Jason Hunter
• BOS Master’s Course by Jason Hunter
• BOS Conference by BOS Co-Author Professor Kim
• 2005 Training of Master Trainers, International Labour Organization
• 2005 Workshop on Decentralized strategies for Decent Employment, International Labour Organization
• 2004 Youth Business International Training Conference, Buenos Aires, Argentina
• 2004 Program Management, Bharatiya Shakti Trust, Delhi India
• 2002 Program Management, Prince of Wales’ IBLF, London UK
• 1998 Finance for non-ﬁnancial managers, University of Michigan Business School, Taipei ROC Publications
Leaderonomics: http://leaderonomics.com/articles/tag/john-walter-baybay Academia: https://fordham.academia.edu/JohnBaybay
Myers Briggs: ENTJ, Kiersey: Field Marshall Type
DISC: Decisive 81, Interactive 81, Stability 14, Cautious 77. Task Oriented Extrovert Strength Finder Themes: Futuristic, Strategic, Ideation, Communication, Activator