• Experienced, hands-on print and interactive Creative/Art Director
• Strong creative team management experience
• Seek to inspire and be inspired by my team, while providing cutting edge creative
• CPG experience: M&M-Mars, Similac, Coca-Cola, Del Monte Foods, Keebler, Mirage Resorts
• B to B experience: R.R. Donnelley, Bretford, NTT Communications
• Non-proﬁ t experience: Institute of Food Technologists, American Society for Clinical Pathology, American Health Lawyers Association, Museum of Science and Industry 2011 – Present INSTITUTE OF FOOD TECHNOLOGISTS (IFT), Chicago, Illinois Lead Graphic Designer, Interactive and Print
• Responsible for the graphic development of visuals that effectively support IFT’s communication goals, align with IFT’s visual identity and support overall IFT brand.
• Design annual meeting identity, including show visuals, interactive and print, for 45,000 attendees.
• Collaborate with cross-functional teams, taking individual projects from concept through layout, photography, illustration, and production.
• Develop new creative and effective design concepts for marketing campaigns.
• Maintain consistency and alignment with the IFT brand, while exhibiting versatility and imagination in design style; actively seek out ways to improve workﬂ ows and efﬁ ciencies.
• Manage the print production process, start to ﬁ nish.
• Provide creative support such as layout and color explorations, research of physical production options, scanning, ﬁ le conversion, ﬁ le editing, and stock photography searches.
• Prepare comps and presentations; edit and modify photos, illustrations, and graphs.
• Leverage knowledge of interactive design principles and the technical and creative limitations/opportunities associated with interactive mediums to create effective designs for various interactive environments (web, e-mail, etc.).
• Apply design standards to interactive production work, considering usability and online branding issues.
• Assist with the design and production/coding of various interactive assets including, but not limited to, e-mails, banner ads, web pages/microsites, etc., from concept through completion.
• Prepare comps, and establish IFT’s process for translating wireframes into visual design.
• Create html- and/or multimedia-ready graphics, and manage/maintain them within various virtual libraries, including the website content management system (CMS).
2010 – 2011 AQUENT (FREELANCE FOR HSBC), Chicago, Illinois Lead Graphic Designer
• Created direct mail and electronic media campaigns for HSBC’s consumer credit card clients including Best Buy, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Polaris, Guitar Center, Saks Fifth Avenue and Helzberg Diamonds
• Designed new credit card for Helzberg Diamonds’ platinum level customers
• Designed consumer micro-site as part of a promotional campaign for Menard’s 2005 – 2010 AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR CLINICAL PATHOLOGY (ASCP), Chicago, Illinois Brand Manager and Lead Creative Designer for non-proﬁ t medical association
• Responsible for increasing ASCP’s perceived value to members and medical community as well as increasing brand franchise and brand equity
• Concepted and designed 60% of all creative work, while managing in-house graphic designers and out-of-house designers for other projects
• Creative work included email blasts and collateral pieces including annual report, brochures, ads, direct mail, course catalogs, conference and annual meeting signage, and trade show booth design
• Saved ASCP over $100,000 in design and printing costs through careful management of design and print vendors
• Wrote comprehensive corporate graphic standards manual and collaborated with various departments to develop message continuity through all internal and external communications 2004 – 2005 PERFORMANCE DIRECT, Roselle, Illinois
Vice President, Creative Director
• Rejuvenated creative department of small direct marketing ﬁ rm specializing in direct mail and business-to-business marketing for non-proﬁ ts and other associations
• Responsible for launching major branding and promotion initiatives for: University of Chicago Graduate School of Business, Ravinia, Wolftrap, International Interior Design Association, American Society of Interior Designers, American Trial Lawyers Association, American Health Lawyers Association and the American Society of Civil Engineers.
2002 – 2004 PERFORMANCE COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, Chicago, Illinois Creative Director
• Concepted and designed branding strategy and print collateral for various accounts including:Keebler, Champps American Bar & Grill, Robert Morris College, National-Louis University, American Bar Association, American Dental Association and American Medical Association
Hands-on print and interactive
Strong creative team
Seek to inspire and be inspired
by my team, while providing
cutting edge creative
continued on next page
1998 – 2001 UPSHOT, Chicago, Illinois
Associate Creative Director
• Responsible for directing creative teams on complex branding, point of sale, promotions, new product launches and marketing collateral for Coca-Cola brands
• Launched Dasani bottled water product, including bottle/logo design, vending machine graphics and point of sale
• Created promotions for other Coca-Cola brands such as Barq’s Root Beer, Fruitopia, Surge and Cherry Coke
• Responsible for overall brand image for Mirage Resorts’ Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas, which included consumer and trade advertising
• Concepted Mirage Resorts advertising campaigns, directed photo shoots, and assumed full responsibility for promoting Treasure Island (now TI), The Mirage and Golden Nugget 1996 – 1998 PERFORMANCE DIRECT, Chicago, Illinois
• Headed up creative department of small direct marketing ﬁ rm specializing in non-proﬁ t and associations direct mail, and business-to-business marketing
• Clients included the Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, Museum of Contemporary Art and McGraw-Hill AMERICAN ACADEMY OF ART
Associates Degree in Graphic Arts/Advertising Design, 1988 DESIGN SOFTWARE SKILLS
Adobe Creative Cloud Suite (Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator), MS Ofﬁ ce REFERENCES:
(former supervisor at IFT)
Editor in Chief, Food Technology
Institute of Food Technologists
(former supervisor at IFT)
Flavor and Extract Manufacturers Association
(former supervisor at IFT)
VP, Director of Marketing & Communications
Wight & Company