Charasay Powell, MBA
Certified Human Resources Professional
Lancaster, PA 17602
A bilingual (English/Spanish) human resources and administrative professional with strong communication, customer service, human resources, and related business skills. ASA-Certified Staffing Professional (CSP, inactive), SHRM-Certified Professional (SHRM-CP), and HRCI-Certified Professional in Human Resources (PHR).
Willing to relocate to: Baltimore, MD - Washington, DC - Philadelphia, PA Authorized to work in the US for any employer
Self Owned Business - Lancaster, PA
August 2019 to Present
I accept various HR, marketing, and writing projects from business clients. Ghostwriting projects completed include:
1. Providing a startup company with initial social media content to establishing a social media presence.
2. Rewriting existing web content for clients
3. Creating or revising resumes, cover letters, and other job-related documents for clients I have also launched an online boutique and fulfilled the training requirements for the Commonwealth of PA Notary Public exam.
HR & Recruiting Manager
Smoker & Company - Leola, PA
July 2018 to Present
Managing both the Human Resources and Recruiting functions for a network of companies, including an Accounting Firm, Law Firm, Debt Collection Agency, Property Management Firm, Insurance Company Business Consulting Firm, and Wealth Management Company.
•Sourcing, recruiting, interviewing, and staffing for all Smoker & Company Offices and affiliate companies.
• Drafting relevant HR documents, e.g. offer letters, bonus plans, and confidentiality agreements
• Handling all personnel-related issues including employee relations, coaching, disciplinary actions, performance management, etc.
• Owning the new hire process from point of offer, including onboarding, new hire orientation, new hire paperwork, and benefit selection
• Overseeing the training and evaluation of all new hires, including close tracking of their first four weeks
• Administering all background checks, credit checks, and reference checks
• Maintaining employee files, and handling unemployment, FMLA, and workers compensation cases
• Coordinating the annual internship program
• Updating existing policies and procedures, and assisting in the development of new polices and procedures
Lead Resource Manager
Deloitte - Mechanicsburg, PA
April 2017 to August 2017
Executed all staffing processes and staffing activities required to optimize deployment for the Human Resource Core Talent Services Practitioners. Applied creativity and critical thinking to each deployment decision with consideration of the appropriate deployment strategy, the needs of the client engagement, and the development of Deloitte professionals. Worked closely with leaders and project teams to ensure all staffing needs were met. Maintained one-on-one relationships with Practitioners to deliver effective career coaching and development in the context of deployment. Senior Corporate Recruiter - Construction Services WSPParsons Brinckerhoff - Ephrata, PA
June 2013 to April 2017
Partnered with business units to manage recruitment of employees across all business units and career levels, from interns to Executives. Ensure EEO and OFCCP compliance. Facilitate hiring process for Hiring Managers.
* Managed requisition load averaging 60+ open positions
* Identified and executed best sourcing options and strategy for each position staffed to attract a diverse and talented applicant pool
* Pre-screened and interviewed candidates
*Trained, coached, and mentored student interns
*Appointed to Corporate Diversity Committee (2015)
*Initial role as a Corporate Recruiting Specialist for various businesses within the organization; promoted to Senior Corporate Recruiter in March 2017 Staffing Specialist
WLGS d/b/a Manpower - Lancaster, PA
May 2011 to June 2013
Managed full-cycle recruitment of Temporary and Permanent employees for various industries and career levels. Functioned as a Human Resources Generalist. Served as member of Subject-Matter Expert (SME) Team focusing on Skilled Trades Recruitment.
* Performed Inside Sales and Account Management functions for customers of all sizes and across diverse industries.
* Provided administrative and operational support
* Represented Manpower at community events, networking venues, and in business events.
* Counseled clients about various HR matters, e.g. compensation, coaching, job descriptions, etc.
* Managed employee needs ranging from coaching and counseling to investigation of workers compensation claims and others.
Intake Officer/Investigator - Employment, Education, and Public Accommodation Discrimination,
Lancaster County Human Relations Commission - Lancaster, PA January 2010 to December 2010
Reviewed and drafted initial complaints of employment, public accommodation, and education discrimination to determine validity/prima facie. Decided on appropriate follow-up actions (i.e. proceed with complaint, mediation, or education). Worked in conjunction with State and Federal agencies (PHRC and EEOC) to assist citizens with cross-filed complaints.
* Maintained proper documentation to meet County, State (PHRC), and Federal (EEOC) standards and deadlines.
* Educated citizens and business leaders (particularly in HR functions) about discrimination and bias. Supported proactive efforts to prevent discrimination and unfair treatment in the workplace, education settings, and public accommodation.
* Served as Editor of Agency Newsletter and Annual Report.
* Managed Investigations of active discrimination complaints, i.e. holding fact-finding hearings, conducting site visits and interviews, and seeking alternative dispute resolutions whenever possible. Dispositioned cases.
* Represented LCHRC on County of Lancaster Safety Committee. Customer Sales and Service Representative
Alcoa - Lancaster, PA
August 2006 to January 2009
Supported Inside Sales functions for assigned accounts, including several international accounts in Mexico and Canada. Managed entire order process using various communication tools e.g. EDI, AS400, SAP, fax, email, and verbal telephone orders. Monitored progress of aluminum ingot production and managed rush orders or unanticipated problems to ensure timely shipments.
* Represented Inside Sales team at daily Plant Production meetings.
* Maintained thorough documentation of customer requests, orders, new product trials, and claims.
* Served on various kaizen/process improvement teams. Shared Services Representative
Armstrong World Industries - Lancaster, PA
March 2005 to August 2006
Managed New Hire Onboarding process from Offer Letter through first day of work. Managed Rehire and Employee Transfer processes. Managed Termination Process.
* Conducted Benefit Consultations: individual, group, live, and remote (by phone).
* Maintained employee files and other HR documents. Conducted internal audits to ensure accuracy, completeness, and timeliness of forms e.g. I-9, W-4, etc.
* active involvement in Corporate African-American Council. Consumer Solutions Representative
Armstrong World Industries - Lancaster, PA
October 2002 to March 2005
Resolved incoming calls from consumer, retailers, and distributors regarding product-related questions from initial sale to installation and claims. Investigated consumer claims from initial report through final
disposition. Managed credits to consumers and payments to Contractors/Floor Installers.
* Served as Secretary of Corporate African-American Council. Planned and organized meetings, recruited members, served as primary contact for team, and supported Company Diversity initiatives. Education
MBA in Management
Strayer University - King of Prussia, PA
• Advanced MS Office, SAP, Lotus Notes, AS400, Beeline, PeopleSoft, Oracle, Compliance/Discrimination Investigations, Training, Coaching, Administrative/Office skills, bilingual skills (verbal, written)
• Employee Relations
• Human Resources
PHR (Professional in Human Resources)
CSP (Certified Staffing Professional)
American Heart Association CPR and AED
Human Resources Skills: Compensation and Benefits — Expert April 2019
Knowledge of compensation and benefits programs.
Full results: https://share.indeedassessments.com/share_assignment/uvjyrt5vmxnsnrxt Human Resources Skills: Recruiting — Highly Proficient April 2019
Managing the candidate sourcing and selection process. Full results: https://share.indeedassessments.com/share_assignment/s1angpixn14ue9sn Management & Leadership Skills: Planning & Execution — Proficient April 2019
Planning and managing resources to accomplish organizational goals. Full results: https://share.indeedassessments.com/share_assignment/nn0ulkxgkag-oeni Indeed Assessments provides skills tests that are not indicative of a license or certification, or continued development in any professional field.
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)