MICHAEL L. COLLINS
Florence SC 29505
Cell Phone Number: 843-***-**** Email:
**** – Current
Haier America Research & Development Center, LLC
I have 25 years of hands on experience utilizing my proven skills in Quality Control and Engineering. I am currently seeking employment in my field of expertise; however I will consider any other opportunities as I have proven myself to be very versatile.
I am currently the Supplier Quality Engineer, Incoming Inspection Manager, and Packaging Engineer with Haier America Refrigerators sense 7-12-2004 – Current. My job duties consist of resolving quality issues by working with manufacturing and all other plant functions to improve overall quality, cost reduction, procedure implementation, corrective action procedures, gage and instrument calibration, and packaging engineering. I work with both domestic and international suppliers for all incoming inspection of parts, Materials and also responsible for packaging engineering.
• Perform ongoing audits on suppliers to ensure that standards and technical requirements are met using Six Sigma Process Control both internationally and domestically. I have traveled to China randomly to audit suppliers and train suppliers US quality standards to improve parts coming from overseas.
• Created formal work instructions and quality standards for use at incoming inspection for all parts received from suppliers.
• Perform capability studies on suppliers and in manufacturing for problem solving to identify variation, improve operator efficiency, and to reduce scrap and rework. Perform Gage R&R to maintain consistent Quality Checks on various parts.
• Maintain all controlled drawings, quality control documents, and work instructions used in the facility.
• Designed and implemented new door gasket design that resolved the #1 field service complaint surrounding door sealing and Gasket Deflection issues. This project lead to a reduction in the door seal SCR rate of 45% and improved the overall energy efficiency DOE test rating by 8%.
• Implemented and coordinated Supplier Corrective Action Reporting Program (CAR) same used by NASA to identify quality issues and provides guidelines to obtain true corrective action and resolution to all issues related to supplier quality using supporting detailed PP documentation. Supplier Defect Rate was at 22% when I was hired and is currently at 1.2%.
• Designed and implemented non-existent incoming inspection department creating work instructions, inspection lab, CMM Training, Metrology training, GDTA, Quality Management, AQL Inspection sampling plan, and advanced incoming inspector training.
• IICT Certified Calibration Coordinator for all calibration for all gages and equipment used by quality, engineering, and plant wide equipment requiring annual calibration services. This has led to an annual cost savings of over 7K per year.
• Implemented quality inspection pattern board program for boundary samples used in inspection process plant wide including hundreds of parts on display located in the incoming inspection department used for positive ID for initial inspection plan.
• Designed and implemented a new RSC Carton and inner packaging system to qualify and Pass ISTA 3B test standards. Cost saving from cap and banding strap carton to RSC carton, which lead to cost savings of $3.25 per refrigerator. The annual cost savings was 325K per Year. Designed several types of base pads and inner packaging shelf inserts and padding to withstand ISTA severe test standards to ensure the product cannot get damaged under severe handling conditions.
• Saved the company $2.00 per unit on current corrugated design and currently working on saving $4.00 per unit on Clearview Stretch Hooder system packaging design which will lead to another 30K savings per year.
• Packaging engineer for the last 6 years. Designed packaging for household refrigeration to meet or exceed ISTA 3B test standards including Side by Side 25 Cubic foot refrigerators, Top Mount Refrigerators, Upright Freezers, and High-End French 4 Door 21 cubic foot Refrigerators. Perform ongoing audit testing to ensure product meets ISTA 3B standards.
1989 - 2004
Amana Cooking Products / Maytag Laundry (Same Factory – Amana Sold Out to Maytag)
10 years on the job experience in Quality Control, including Incoming Inspection Supervisor, Line Rover, End of Line Testing, Repair Specialist Team Leader, and Audit Lab Manager. I had 5 years on the job experience in R&D engineering department including Reliability Test Engineering and Engineering Lab Manager. I had 5 lab technicians responsible for projects associated with testing assigned by engineers for Cooking and Laundry products including high end washing machines, gas and electric ranges, built-in cook tops, wall ovens, and slide in ranges. All testing was submitted through the CTDP provided by UL and CSA requirements for gas fired cooking product certifications.
• Created Combustion Design system Self-Titled “RAIS” ‘Rapid Air Induction System’ that led to the resolution of CO2 and sooting issue and increased cooking performance on gas cooking production.
• Created test programs using computer software including Lab Tech and Lab View data acquisition systems, CAD, Pro E, Unigraphics, and Solidworks software systems. I Studied 2 years formal training on Kaizen, green belt, lean manufacturing, and Six Sigma, DFSS. Team member for phase out of cooking product line (Amana), and implemented new laundry assembly line and process (Maytag), using six sigma lean manufacturing tools.
• Promoted to Manager for Reliability test lab and team leader for CIDE ‘Continuous Improvement Design Engineering in 2002. My team performed FMEA’s, Cost Reductions, and Quality Improvement to eliminate waste and improve on various design and quality issues saving the company approximately 500K in
• Implemented standard testing and documentation in QC audit lab for production off line test lab auditing. Established detailed work instructions and utilized SPC computer software to collect data and publish quality reports to management groups daily, monthly, and yearly.
• Managed and maintained test equipment and electronic components calibrations for entire factory including R&D, all of engineering and manufacturing.
• Designed test fixtures and software programs used to collect data for UL and CSA under the client test data program to acquire certification applying the UL and CSA marks on the appliances manufactured on site.
• Engineering lab manager - testing on prototype projects based on specifications and written standards by UL, and CSA agencies under the CTDP program.
• Maintained agency files and documentation for compliance with written standards on production products produced on site, subjective to field audit representative audits from both UL and CSA agencies.
• Combustion Design Patents. Heat diverter design used on gas cooking product doors implemented and used in production to reduce surface temperatures of ranges in self-clean mode by 15-20 degrees F.
Married 14 years
Enjoy Reef Aquariums, Scuba Diving, Travel, social activities and being involved in community functions.
Graduate - Mullins High School
Mechanical Drafting and Architecture I & II – State Board Accreditation (Marion Mullins Vocational Center)
Florence Darlington Technical College – Computer Management, Windows Microsoft (Advanced Word, Excel I & II, and Advanced Power Point)
Amana – SPC – I & II, Advanced GDTA, QMS Certification,
ISO 9001 Quality Auditor Certification
Maytag Corp.- Six Sigma Green Belt –Design Engineering
Computers (Word, Excel I & II, Power Point, Lotus Notes, Microsoft Office & Outlook, Adobe Professional and Primo)
Instrument Calibration (Management Using Indysoft Software)
PPAP & Drawing analysis and program administrator
Wiring schematic reading and Molex socket connection knowledge
CAD, Pro E, Unigraphics, Solid Works, Solid Edge, CAD systems
Advanced knowledge in gas properties and combustion design, energy efficiency testing (DOE, EEV)
Consumer Reports Testing (Energy Guide Energy Star Label)
Data Acquisition Systems – Lab Tech, Lab View
Test Fixturing for Component Bench Testing
CSA and UL Agency Testing Certification - (Client Test Data Program)
Six Sigma DFSS
Excel Crystal Ball
8D Corrective Action
CMM Machine Operation Certified
FaroArm Faro Laser Scanner System operator
Environmental Chamber Testing and Programming
Calorimeter Calibration and gas properties testing
CO2 Analyzer Calibration and Programming
Ultrasonic Thickness Gages
Metal Hardness & Tensile Strength Testing and Metal Properties Analysis
Kaizen – Green Belt
Certified Calibration Specialist – Certification received from the IICT Group
Supplier Quality Management
ISO 9001-2000 Internal Auditor
UL Certified Test Engineer – All Electric Household Cooking Products & Laundry Products
CSA Certified Test Engineer – All Household Gas Cooking Products
ISTA (International Safe Transit Association) Test Engineer
Packaging Engineering and Design
References upon Request