Department of Polymer Engineering, The University of Akron, Akron, OH, 44325
Phone: 330-***-****, Email: email@example.com POLYMER ENGINEERING & RHEOLOGY EXPERT
Polymer Blends Polymer Composites Polyurethane Rheology Career Objective: Self-motivated Engineer with extensive research experience, excellent written and oral communication skills seeking position as Polymer Engineer or Materials Research Scientist EDUCATION
Ph.D. Candidate (Polymer Engineering), University of Akron, Akron, OH 8/2013-8/2016 Advisor: Prof. Robert A. Weiss GPA:4.0/4.0
M.S. (Chemistry), Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China 9/2010-3/2013 Advisor: Prof. Wei Yu GPA: 3.7/4.0, Ranking: 1/77
B.S. (Polymer Science & Engineering), Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China 9/2006-7/2010 RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
Research Assistant, University of Akron, Akron, OH 2013-present Thesis project: Rheology of sulfonated polystyrene (SPS) ionomers (Collaborated with Prof. Ralph H. Colby)
Synthesized SPS with different sulfonation degrees, and investigated the linear viscoelasticity (LVE) of SPS.
Successfully predicted LVE of SPS with varying cations and sulfonation degrees with sticky Rouse model.
Demonstrated the plasticization effect of free acid groups on the LVE of partially neutralized SPS ionomers.
Studied the shear thinning, shear thickening, and shear instability of SPS ionomers from sol to gel.
Proposed a linear blending rule to predict the dynamic properties of SPS blends with various compositions. Collaborative project: Internal plasticized polyurethanes (PU) thermoplastic elastomer
Investigated the effect of bulky ionic group on the crystallization kinetics via DSC and rheology.
Demonstrated the internal plasticization effect of ionic groups on mechanical properties of PU elastomer. Thesis project: Creep behavior of zinc sulfonated EPDM-zinc stearate (ZnSt) polymers composites
Investigated effect of covalent crosslinking on the creep behavior of ZnSEPDM/ZnSt polymer composites.
Correlated the creep behavior with their long time shape fixing and shape recovery properties. Collaborative project: Rheological behavior of photo curable electrical contact coating
Systematically quantified the gelation kinetics and gel strength of electrical contact coating under UV curing. Research Assistant, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China 2009-2013 Thesis project: PMMA/SAN/SiO2 nanocomposites: relation between structure and rheology
Introduced new rheological methods to detect phase transition of PMMA/SAN/SiO2 blends.
Controlled the selective location of SiO2 nanoparticles in polymer blends via surface modification
Studied effect of particles’ selective locations on the blend’s microstructure via rheology and microscopy.
Successfully predicted the change of structure of polymer blends during phase separation. Thesis project: Reactive blending of polyolefin elastomer (POE)/PS blend
Built the structure and property relationship of reactive compatibilization of POE/PS blends.
Investigated the effect of reactive formed copolymer on the blends’ structure and mechanical properties. Collaborative project: PBT/graphene nanocomposites: a rheological study of in-situ polymerization
Investigated effect of particle loading on polymerization kinetics, electrical conductivity, and crystallization. Chongwen Huang Page 2
R&D Engineer Shanghai Banzan Macromolecule Material Co. Ltd 4-7/2013
Modified the heat resistance of polyolefin based hot melt adhesive. Research Assistant (Intern) Honeywell (China) 8-10/2011
Assisted the development of new polyelectrolyte for quantum dots sensitized solar cells. Teaching Assistant Shanghai Jiao Tong University 2010-2012
Instructed and supervised undergraduates for classes: Experimental Rheology for Polymer and Applied Mathematics in Chemical Engineering.
Rheology, Compounding, Injection Molding, Mechanical Testing, DMA, DSC, TGA, FTIR, NMR, GPC, Optical
& Electron Microscopy, MATLAB.
1. C. Huang,; W. Yu, Rheology and processing of nanoparticle filled polymer blend nanocomposites, in Rheology and Processing of Polymer Nanocomposites, Sabu Thomas, René Muller, and Jiji Abraham Eds., John Wiley & Sons Inc., 2016, in press.
2. C. Huang, W. Yu, Role of block copolymer on the coarsening of morphology in polymer blend: Effect of micelles. AlChE J., 2015, 61:285-95.
3. C. Huang, J. Gao, W. Yu, C. Zhou, Phase separation of poly (methyl methacrylate)/poly(styrene-co-acrylo- nitrile) blends with controlled distribution of silica nanoparticles, Macromolecules, 2012, 45:8420-8429. 4. C. Huang, C. Wang, Q. Chen, R. H. Colby, R. A. Weiss, Linear viscoelasticity of oligomeric sulfonated polystyrene ionomer blends. Submitted to Macromolecules (under review) 5. C. Huang, Q. Chen, R. H. Colby, R. A. Weiss, Nonlinear rheology of random sulfonated polystyrene ionomers: a role of the sol-gel transition. In preparation 6. C. Huang, Q. Chen, R. H. Colby, R. A. Weiss, Linear viscoelasticity of partially neutralized oligomeric sulfonated polystyrene ionomers. In preparation
7. C. Huang, R. A. Weiss, Viscoelastic behavior of zinc sulfonated EPDM- zinc stearate (ZnSt) shape memory polymers. In preparation
8. Q. Chen, C. Huang, R. A. Weiss, R. H. Colby, Viscoelasticity of Reversible Gelation for Ionomers. Macromolecules, 2015, 48:1221-30.
9. Y. Xu, C. Huang, W. Yu, C. Zhou, Evolution of concentration fluctuation during phase separation in polymer blends with viscoelastic asymmetry. Polymer, 2015, 67:101-110. 10. J. Gao, C. Huang, N. Wang, W. Yu, C. Zhou, Phase separation of poly (methyl methacrylate)/poly
(styrene-co-acrylonitrile) blends in the presence of silica nanoparticles, Polymer, 2012, 53:1772-1782. 11. H. Chen, C. Huang, W. Yu, C. Zhou, Effect of thermally reduced graphite oxide (TrGO) on the polymerization kinetics of poly(butylene terephthalate) (pCBT)/TrGO nanocomposites prepared by in situ ring-opening polymerization of cyclic butylene terephthalate, Polymer, 2013, 54:1603-1611. AWARDS
Society of Rheology Student-member Travel Award, Eastman Travel Award 2015 TEIJIN Scholarship (Top 5%), SHOWA DENKO Scholarship (Top 5%) 2010-2012 ExxonMobil Scholarship (Top 5%), Shanghai College Students Chemistry Competition (Gold prize) 2007-2009 National Encouragement Scholarship (Top 10%), CASC Scholarship (Top 10%)