Michael E Durkin, RN MHA
The Dartmouth Institute
Certificate in The Fundamentals of Value-based Healthcare Systems
New England College, Henniker, NH
Master’s of Science of Management Healthcare
Castleton State College, Castleton VT
Associates in Science in Nursing
University of Vermont, Burlington VT
Bachelor of Science in Environmental Studies
Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center
Clinical Value Analysis Program Manager - Led the development, implementation, and management of systems that facilitate standardization of the purchase of medical supplies and equipment across large hospital system.
•Led initiatives resulting in multi-year systems savings of over $2,000,000
•Projects included Advanced Wound Care, Automated External Defibrillators, Enteral Feeding Pumps, Safe Needle Standardization, and others across the organization.
•Created framework for first Value Analysis Steering committee
•Provided Clinical Value Analysis support to the New England Alliance of Hospitals (NEAH)
•Chaired the Nursing Quality and Safety Council
Marshall Steele and Associates
Project Leader/Consultant – Member of Healthcare consulting group delivering implementations of Destination Centers of Superior Performance in hospitals throughout North America
2007 - 2009
• Directly accountable for project management to implement Joint Replacement and Spine Centers
• Created hospital-based Workers Compensation Strategy as a horizontal integration to Destination Spine Centers
• Responsible for on-site interrogatories that serve as the basis for team/consensus building.
• Daily responsibility for project throughout multi-month timeline directing tasks from forging leadership support through patient experience management
Smith and Nephew
National Health Director – Consulting Member of Administrative team with accountability for health and safety at a group of manufacturing facilities located throughout North America.
• Developed and implemented comprehensive strategy to reduce $1,000,000 backlog of Worker’s Comp cases
• Developed and introduced protocol for reporting and managing injuries
• Directed safety audit team to predict and reduce injuries at manufacturing plants
• Directed emergency response team
Alice Peck Day Health Systems, Lebanon, NH
Director of Health, Safety, and Facilities – Member of the Administrative Staff with direct accountability for Safety, Worker’s Compensation, Security, Disaster Preparedness, Facility, Security, and Occupational Health.
● Developed and introduced enhanced Emergency Preparedness Plan to include Hospital Emergency Incident Command System and hazardous materials decontamination.
● Revised work management system to include quality metrics for performance improvement
● Lead the design and construction of two capital building projects with $3,200,000 budget. Both projects completed on time and under budget
● Developed and implemented new Preventative Maintenance Program with 10% first year expense reduction
● Negotiated new bio-hazardous waste program with 20% first year expense reduction
● Developed and implemented new Worker's Compensation program. Enhanced communications and case management tools reduced incurred losses from $440,000 to $20,000 in 36 months allowing a reduction in Workers Compensation premiums from $425, 000 to $215,000.
● Developed new Safety Program with emphasis on injury prevention to support new Worker’s Compensation reductions
Rutland Regional Medical Center, Rutland, VT
Occupational Health Nurse – responsible for off-site client development and implementation of occupational services
● Developed first business plan for emerging Occupational Health Clinic.
● Increased client base 35% first year
Medical/Surgical Nurse – responsible for nursing tasks on a medical-surgical unit
REGISTERED NURSE, STATE OF FLORIDA- CURRENT
MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
• Florida Nursing Association
• American Nurse Association
• Association Healthcare Value Analysis Professionals