DAVID A. ST. GERMAIN
Saint Paul, MN 55102
DIRECTOR OF MARKETING
Strategy successful in driving revenues, market share, brand loyalty and profitable growth.
• Advertising Agency • Consumer Packaged Goods
• Retail • Restaurant • Professional Services
• Branding, Marketing & Advertising
• Sales & Business Development
• Strategic & Marketing Planning
• Market & Consumer Segmentation
• Collaborative Team Building
• Point of Purchase & Collateral
• Publicity & Public Relations
• Budget and P&L Management
• Creative Ideation & Direction
• Consumer & Market Research
• Product Development & Management
• Digital, Internet, Website & SEO/SEM
• Customer Relationship Management
• Distribution, Merchandising & Pricing
• Sponsorship & Partnership Marketing
Executive with a dynamic, results-charged career that is highlighted by consistent achievements in driving marketing and branding strategies, programs and plans that have delivered outstanding returns. Breadth of consumer behavior and industry experience, effectively serving as the voice-of-the-customer; accomplished in leading customer-focused strategies and solutions that deliver greater profits through building a loyal customer following. Trusted reputation for achieving aggressive distribution, merchandising, sales and customer satisfaction objectives. Lead, manage, and inspire cross-functional teams to utilize market research, consumer centric analytics, and creative insight to develop marketing strategies that deliver innovative, customer-focused solutions that generate industry leading results.
DAVID SAINT GERMAIN LLC
Saint Paul, MN
1997 to 2015
Principal, Marketing Consultant
Serve as a marketing consultant and expert marketing partner to clients in diverse consumer industries. Manage the entire client engagement cycle (ranging 6 to 48 months each, with values up to $250,000), from defining scope of work and negotiating fees, to cross-functional team facilitation, providing services and producing deliverables. Engagements have involved a broad range of marketing initiatives with an emphasis on visioning and ideation, branding, strategic and marketing planning, consumer and market research, advertising and promotions, partnership, sponsorship and licensing, and graphic design.
• Generated $2.5 million in incremental sales for Dairy Queen and Orange Julius by developing/executing a 45-Day/276- Shop, Halloween “Batman Beyond” Scratch & Win Licensed Sweepstakes promotion.
• Drove a 150% improvement in consumer conversion rate and 300% sales growth for Pet Parade, reversing 50% sales decline after a Big Box retailer entered their market. Customized product assortment, created a category of pet related gift merchandise, addressed the pricing strategy, and re-merchandised the store; all stimulating the sales growth.
• Managed the development of Krispy Kreme Doughnuts “Factory Store” concept to facilitate the retail/wholesale production and sales of branded doughnuts; successfully opened three test Factory Stores, each generating $3 million in sales with a 30% profit margin, doubling volume and generating a 50% improvement in profits.
• Reversed sales declines of The Gap stores in Midwest Regional Collegiate Markets below the $1 million sales/revenue threshold, threatening store closures. Conducted consumer intercept studies/analysis, proposed and executed operational and inventory changes along with a “Collegiate Trade-In Jeans” media campaign which sustained a $2.5 million per store sales revenue, retaining all store operations and market penetration.
CENTER ADVERTISING AGENCY/GENERAL GROWTH PROPERTIES, INC.
St. Louis Park, MN
1995 to 1997
Vice President Marketing
Focused on improving Center Advertising Agency’s profitability while increasing retail sales volume, retailer occupancy percentage, and customer traffic levels for General Growth Properties owned and managed Super Regional Shopping Centers. General Growth is the #1 Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) Shopping Center Management Company in the U.S. with $2.5 billion in consumer retail sales revenues. Consulted and built relationships with the top 5000 retailers (e.g., The Gap, Limited Brands, Claire’s Boutique) and provided expertise for the branding, positioning, and marketing of 200 Super Regional Shopping Centers. Managed 5 direct reports, 25 indirect reports, and a $50 million operating budget. Directly reported to both the President of Center Advertising Agency and CEO/President of General Growth Properties.
• Developed re-positioning, retail partnership, and sponsorship alliance strategies that delivered outstanding returns for GGP.
• Significantly improved agency profitability by reducing expenses 22% and increasing revenues 13%; resulting from extensive consumer/market research, spearheading 20 targeted marketing positions with full-media advertising campaigns.
• Improved retailer participation in mall marketing and customer service programs by 60% through initiating retail partnerships, which lead to the increase in overall customer satisfaction and intent-to-return from 72% to 96%.
• Drove $250 million in sponsored revenues through initiating strategic sponsorship alliances with key partners: Visa USA
(Festival of Giving), Chrysler (It’s Kid Time Extreme Tour), and National Cotton Council (Luxurious Campaign).
• Led the way in establishing a retail store manager training curriculum focused on driving Customer Loyalty through the principles of Total Quality Management, with 75% of retailers adopting a quality expectation, a continuous improvement process, employee and customer feedback measurement with the retail store manager leading the execution.
HOST MARRIOTT SERVICES/MARRIOTT INT’L
Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, MN
1990 to 1995
Regional Director Marketing
Provided marketing direction and leadership for this #1 Airport Retail/Concession Management Company with $2 billion in consumer revenues and 70% market share. Directly accountable for $500 million in retail sales revenues (brands: Burger King, Pizza Hut Express, Taco Bell Express, Starbucks, Cheers, Premium Stock Lounges, Gourmet Bean Coffee, Mrs. Fields Cookies, TCBY, Nathan’s Famous, Caribou Coffee, Chili’s Too, Tie Rack, Wilson’s, The Leather Experts, Malibu Al’s). Extensive focus on consumer research, brand analysis, concept development, strategic partnering, and contract negotiations. Managed 10 direct reports and 50 indirect reports, with a $10 million operating budget and a $35 million capital budget.
• Reversed 50% sales decline, improved product quality, revised pricing strategy, and signed profitable lease extension.
• Generated $500 million incremental sales growth by pioneering the Strategic Branding Strategy that involved introducing proprietary and franchise retail and concession branded concepts into airports across the nation.
• Developed the Gourmet Bean, Cheers, Malibu Al’s and Premium Stock Lounge concepts.
• Created the Pizza Hut Express and Taco Bell Express cart concepts in collaboration with the branded partners.
• Negotiated franchise/licensing agreements with partnered brands.
• Doubled customer satisfaction and intent-to-return from 45% to 95%, delivering 500% sustained revenue growth.
• Received the Pinnacle Achievement Award for two consecutive years (1992 and 1993).
CAMPBELL SOUP COMPANY
Eden Prairie, MN
1985 to 1990
Drove the branding, strategic marketing, sales, and distribution of consumer products (representing $250 million in direct consumer branded sales revenues) in the Midwest Region for this $7 billion Fortune 500 company that is a leader in the consumer packaged goods industry (brands: Campbell’s, Campbell Fresh, JuicyJuice, Vlasic, Swanson, Pepperidge Farm, Prego, Chunky, Home Cookin’, Healthy Request, Pace, V-8, Franco American, Hungry-Man, LeMenu, HomeStyle). Accountable for brand management (grocery/produce/frozen), new product development, product re-positioning, product line extensions, merchandising, packaging, advertising, consumer/market research, promotion, distribution, and category management; managed 3 merchandisers, 5 sales specialists and 4 headquarter/chain account managers.
• Developed brand plans identifying objectives, strategies, key initiatives, and performance measurements by leveraging insights collected from Store Audits, Competitive Audits, Information Resources (IRI): InfoScan, IntroSource, IntroCast & BehaviorScan data, along with Focus Groups, to support brand growth targets.
• Achieved 90-95% new product distribution for a total of 98 new grocery, produce, and frozen product introductions.
• Initiated the development of a new frozen product “Souper Combos” for the Mid-Central Region, including product development, packaging, pricing and promotion – achieving 85% distribution, display activity, and 300% initial sell-thru.
• Spearheaded Campbell Soup’s DSD-Direct Store Delivery program thru a Key Headquarter/Wholesale Distributor (Cub Foods/SuperValu), a strategy to lock-out competitive displays, create consumer value, and drive case volume improvement by 500%; winning the National Harvest of Good Foods-NFL Souper Bowl Contest.
• Honored with the National Achievement Award (1989).
Master of Business Administration Studies (Marketing & Management)
University of St. Thomas, OPUS College of Business
Bachelor of Science Degree (Marketing & Management)
University of Minnesota, Carlson School of Management