Michael Tate Home Phone: 662-***-****
Mobile Phone: 662-***-****
Jackson, MS 39211
DESIRED BASE SALARY: NEGOTIABLE
MSME; BSME; BS: Design Drafting w/ Minor in Management
SUMMARY Held Secret Clearance in the past w/ DOD and has a DOE Clearance
Utilize my education, diverse background, and work experiences in Design, Engineering, and Management to add my
professional value to a company needs.
Team player, Work with team planning, coordinating, evaluating, and scheduling work to ensure all requirements are
Interacts with project supports, subcontractors, vendors and clients.
Liaise with industrial engineer and product engineer, so that product and process characteristics are under control
when production is lunched.
Manage assigned projects, proactively identifying dependencies & risks and driving issues to resolution.
Analyze current and new model quality issues to determine root cause and support implementation of
countermeasures and foolproofs and improvements to protect product quality (including equipment buyoff).
Develop strategic planning for standardization of equipment, programming, fixtures, visual aids, checklists, spare
parts and general documentation.
Attend meetings, select vendors, coordinate prototype builds, design tooling, preparing docs, developing and
purchasing new equipment and fixtures.
Attending QRQC’s and QRSC’s determining root cause and implementing the recommended actions.
Updating/maintaining capacity charts, building layouts, and developing future business plans based on capacity and
Creating and maintaining paperwork (TPD’s, Process Plan Sheets, PFEMA, Process Flows, ETS’s, TADS) and
Perform mechanical engineering calculations, analysis, and prepares specifications.
Initiate and developing mechanical engineering 3D design and 2D drawings.
Ensures quality, quantity, and completeness of the assigned mechanical engineering tasks.
Propose ideas clearly and consider constructive criticism for improvement for alignment of customer and company
Advanced level of understanding of the mechanical discipline, Understand codes, permits, and company standards.
Read and understand construction drawings and take lead on estimating tasks.
Understand the project change control process and identify potential changes.
Advanced level of knowledge of mechanical equipment and material lists.
Provide guidance to less experienced team players.
Michael Tate Page 1
Design/Drafting skills: Total project involvement from the conception of idea to the prototype build of the
components, tooling design, on through to the production of the finished product.
Program Launch: APQP developer / updater of various stages Plan and Define, Product Design and development,
Process design and development, Product and Process validation, and Feedback Assessment and corrective action.
Computer experience includes: Certified in SDRC Ideas software, UNIX programming, Catia software,
networking, and troubleshooting knowledge.
SDRC Ideas Services: Solid Modeling, Detail Drafting, Sheet Metal, Master Assembly, and Master Surfacing.
Michael’s Design & Eng Inc. – Various Locations / Projects July 1995 Mar 1998 Dec 1999 Present
Total project involvement from the conception of idea to the prototype build of the components, tooling design, on through to
the production of the finished product. All work performed onsite to ensure constant communication to identify changes and
or additions needed to satisfy customer. Any improvements leading to a more robust product implemented without affecting
timeline of company’s milestones.
Mechanical / Manufacturing Engineer Faurecia Jackson, MS
(Oct 2011 Dec 2013) Completed Contract / Ended Short due to Funding
• Develop lock out tag out procedures for various Electrical and Air work stations.
• Update / create Work Instructions / Rework Instructions for Faurecia’s automotive seating assembly for various
Nissan Programs (X61A, X61B, X61F, and L42L).
• Develop Self Inspections, Quality Inspection improvements, and necessary Work Instruction updates from quality
team to improve issues from customer (Nissan).
• Audit BOMs to capture and correct issues of components in seat kits.
• Update Process Flow, Control Plan, PFMEA, and other documents.
• Modify 2D layout of plant production floor to keep current with layout changes.
• Initiate purchase order requisitions for various process improvements to assembly work stations.
• Time studies of various lines to produce the most efficient TAC time for the most efficient seat build.
• Aided in New Product lunch set up and start up.
• Created daily, weekly, and monthly Pareto charts to track Maintenance calls and down time. Maintained Pareto
charts to track issues of PODS A and PODS B.
• Aided in developing solutions and closing out QRCI issues in Faurecia’s Plant process and operations (Quick
Response Continuing Improvement).
Mechanical Engineer – Jefferson Lab – Department of Energy – Newport News, VA
(Oct 2007 – Mar 2011) Project Completed
• Layout and design of 1st Spreader, 1st Recombiner, 2nd Spreader, 2nd Recombiner, and Transport regions of the 12
• Design Girders, Stands, Stand Arms, Girder supports, magnet supports, pedestal supports, spool assemblies, vacuum
chambers, and various other components developing the regions listed above.
• Design various Magnets, added H – Steel, Bus assembles, Magnet shims, special chamfering of magnet pole faces,
Coil assemblies, and developed 3D check system to insure all magnet and bus components are dimensionally correct
Michael Tate Page 2
SDRC Ideas expert with software and hardware. Mentored designers and engineers with issues involving design
principles and software functions. Developed design standards, color coding, and icon of various models. Aided IT
department with keeping the TDM up and running smooth.
• Design 3D check system for checking and inspecting laminations.
• Layout of High, Low, and Medium Pressure pipe systems and Supports for Cryogenics CL2 Final Oil Removal He
Mechanical Engineer – Georgia Iron Works –Augusta, GA (Apr 2007 – Oct 2007) Short Term Project Completed
• Design mechanical systems for oil extraction processes using slurry pumps systems.
• Design structures, bases, pumps, pedestals, over head systems, side by side systems, and in line systems compliant
with customer requirements.
• Georgia Iron Works best practices and GDT per ASME Y14.5.
• Responsibilities include developing detail design, assembly drawings, and documentation of manufacturing and
Mechanical Engineer – Buel – Milwaukee, WI (Oct 2006 – Feb 2007) Short Term Project Completed
• Design air intake system for new class motorcycles.
• Design oil system located in swing arm.
• Design frame to store fuel for new class motorcycles.
• 3D models, assemblies, 2D drawings, and documentation.
Mechanical Engineer – DRS Technologies Milwaukee, WI (Dec 2005 – Sep 2006) Project Completed
• Mechanical 3D designing and 2D detailing of assemblies and drawings for 450 Volt
• Navy submarine program.
• Update and maintain current assemblies of DU inside of Load Centers.
• Perform ECN and ECO changes to customer drawings
• Concept design various components (ex: Bus Bars and Top Hat assembly).
Product Engineer – Flexcel 11th Avenue – Jasper, IN (Oct 2004 – Oct 2005) Project Completed
• Performed measurement study and provided a corrective plan to address problems of the Skye Project. Reviewed
prints and recommended additions and changes.
• Organized Technical Reviews to communicate Kimball’s expectations to supplier, to reach and establish
commitments on critical issues, and establish all cost related for creating tools to produce final product.
• Incorporated physical datum features on complex part to ensure a consistent measurement tool for part inspections.
• Designed Wish KU 1928 check fixture for Upright, Back Inner, Back Outer, Lumbar Pad, and Lumbar Cover to
check critical features and profile of parts necessary for assembly and functionality.
• Built prototypes and investigated ways to communize screws, washers, and etc to minimize parts and possible
SDRC Specialist – Siemens VDO – Troy, MI (Aug 2003 – Sep 2004) Project Completed
• Mechanical 3D design support and 2D detailing of customer drawings for D219 program. Update metaphase with
current design data and customer with PDF, DXF, and GIF files of current component data.
• Mechanical 3D design support and 2D detailing of customer drawing for CD338 program. Update metaphase with
current design data and customer with PDF, DXF, and GIF files of current component data.
• Mechanical designer for Ford Wheel Sensor Program. Perform customer driven changes to 3D models and 2D
drawing. Upload changes to metaphase.
Michael Tate Page 3
SDRC Specialist – Roush Industries – Dearborn, MI (Jul 2002 – Jun 2003) Project Completed
• GT 40 valve train design (EXT and INT Valves, Roller finger follower, Pivot ball and housing, valve seats and
springs, cams, timing sprockets, and etc.)
Designed and routed Emissions EVAP hoses and attachments to frame.
Designed and routed fuel lines and attachments to frame.
• Designed and prepared placement for EGR tube for GT 40 program.
• Constrained and designed various configurations of valve positions for clearance
• Studies and motion studies for GT 40 program.
• Designed unfinished models of camshafts assemblies including special
• Techniques of associative copy with assemblies cuts to developed finish cut cams.
SDRC Specialist – Delphi – Dearborn, MI (Aug 2001 Jul 2002) Project Completed
• IP packaging layout study for HVAC Vents D341 Program (A/C, Heating, and Side Window Demisters)
• IP packaging layout and design for HVAC Ducts and routing.
• Redesign and modify various components in SDRC.
• Whipped data using IMI Bridge to participating client.
• Checked data in and out keeping parts and assemblies current in Metaphase.
SDRC Specialist – Incat Systems – Troy, MI (May 2001 Aug 2001) Short Term Project Completed
• Design and model brackets attachment for IP components (Nissan UL program).
• Design and model cam covers (Ford U152 program).
• Redesigned, premastered, and modified various components in SDRC.
SDRC Specialist – Nissan Technical Center North America, Inc. – Farmington hill, MI
(Jul 2000 – May 2001) Project Completed
• Designed study package layout for IP layout (UL program).
• Provided Styling Studio with Nissan’s critical design requirements standards.
• Layout and routed cable harness for shift by wire shifter (UL program).
• Layout and routed various harness for various modules in UL program IP area.
• Designed prototype parts to enhance vehicles before release state.
• Coordinated data transfers to approved vendors.
• Produced D notes and other documents for various programs.
SDRC Specialist – AKSYS Ltd. – Lincolnshire, IL (Feb 1999 – Jun 2000) Project Completed
• Designed and modeled various parts for AK2K dialysis machine.
• Designed concept ideas for patented bottles threads for AK2K dialysis machine.
• Produce STL files for prototype component building.
• Produce DCN changes for various components and assemblies.
• Design, modeled, and produced 2d drawings for 2nd generation AK2K machine.
SDRC Specialist – GE Medical Systems – Waukesha, WI (Feb 1997 – Nov 1997) Short Term Project Completed
• Designed various components for new MRI machine, which included solid models, assembles, optical prints, and 2d
• Developed layout path and swept cable cross sections for wire harness locations.
• Generated various ideas for possible enclosures, sealing rings, and other conceptual ideas for the MRI machine.
• System administration support for SDRC system.
SDRC Specialist – Lucas Body Systems – Fenton, MI (Jun 1996 – Dec 1996) Short Term Project Completed
• Designed conceptual automotive parts for quotes (Cadillac and Ford).
• Produced component design changes and improvements from design reviews.
• Produced SLA prototypes and tooling design of components.
Michael Tate Page 4
• Trained engineers on SDRC Ideas and showed upgrade changes of new software.
System administration work: Edited UNIX programs, installed and setup SDRC Ideas software, configured printers
and plotters, and supervised project data management.
SDRC Specialist – Beltone – Chicago, IL (Dec 1995 – Jun 1996) Project Completed
• Chief designer of various components on the “Invisa” project.
• Produced conceptual ideas for the “Wireless Remote Volume Hearing Aid” and mechanically functional SLA
• System administration work: Edited UNIX programs, setup SGI systems network, and setup plotters and printers.
SDRC Specialist – MPC – Chicago, IL (Oct 1995 – Nov 1995) Short Term Project Completed
• Aided in designing of the government F 18 plane throttle control.
• Produced solid models, detail drawings, and assemblies of various components.
• Produced animations clips of throttle control using SDRC software.
SDRC Specialist – Tyler Refrigeration – Niles, IL (Jul 1995 – Oct 1995) Short Term Project Completed
• Chief sheet metal part expert using SDRC ideas software.
• Produced assemblies and configurations of finished product.
• Designed cladding for the “Advantage Look” refrigerator project.
• Produced engineering releases and change orders.
Cherry Electrical Products – Waukegan, IL Mar 1998 Dec 1999
Sr. Mechanical Engineer / SDRC Specialist Project Completed
• Designed concept switches for automotive steering wheels, heated seats, hazard switches, and various other console
• Conceptual designed switches with mechanically functional SLA development for a possible new business market.
• Routed wiring harness for steering wheel switches (GMT 360 program)
• Performed competitive switch teardowns analyzing current technology leading towards more robust switch design.
• Conducted design reviews for various programs (GMT 360, GMT 270 and GMT 220)
• Worked with validation department to ensure switches met required specifications.
Fermi National Accelerator Lab – Batavia, IL Feb 1990 – Apr 1994
SDRC Designer / TS Engineering Project Completed
• SSC 50mm dipole magnet design engineer using SDRC Ideas software.
• SSC 50mm dipole magnet tooling and fixture designer.
• Produced solid models, detailed drawing, assemblies, and prototype STL files.
• Programmed and performed troubleshooting of customized SDRC software.
• Designed customized electrical icon panel in SDRC software.
Michael Tate Page 5
Illinois Institute of Technology – Chicago, IL
MS Mechanical Engineering (MSME)
Mississippi State University – Starkville, MS
BS Mechanical Engineering (BSME)
Jackson State University – Jackson, MS
BS Design Drafting with a Minor in Management
Radiation Training (Fermi National Lab)
Oxygen Deficiency (Fermi National Lab)
Safety Training (Fermi National Lab)
OSHA Training (Fermi National Lab)
SDRC Ideas Software
(Solid Modeling, Detail Drafting, Sheet Metal, Master Assembly, and Master Surfacing) 1990
Computer Networking / Troubleshooting
Radiation Training (Jefferson Lab)
Oxygen Deficiency (Jefferson Lab)
Safety Training (Jefferson Lab)
OSHA Training (Jefferson Lab)
References available upon request
Michael Tate Page 6