JOHN D. CIARLONE
email@example.com (h) 856-***-**** (cell) 856-***-****
Confident, creative and highly qualified marketing professional with over 10 years of experience in identifying,
offering and satisfying the needs and wants of the customer. Exceptional work ethic, proactive team leader and
consensus builder. Adept at developing and meeting strategic and tactical organizational objectives. Highly
analytical and skilled in deriving insights from data. Recognizes the importance of balance between strategy
and the need to execute.
Strengths: Technical Skills:
• Competitive Market Analysis • Symphony/IRI XLerate Plus
• Strategic Planning Skills • MS Office Suite (Excel, Word, Powerpoint)
• Product Portfolio Development • MS Project
• Brand Development & Management • JD Edwards OneWorld
• Relationship Building • Adobe Photoshop CS5
• Customer Needs Fulfillment • MS Sharepoint
• Integrated Sales & Marketing Planning • SalesForce
• Creative Development
• Qualitative & Quantitative Analysis
• FXI INC., MEDIA, PENNSYLVANIA 2012- 2013
Product Marketing Manager – Building Products
Led the development of new products with a consumer-focused strategy. Established sales goals and target
accounts. Conducted competitive analysis of product lines and market opportunities. P&L responsibility for
Building Products division. Developed marketing tools and strategies for the internal and external sales teams.
Analyzed existing product portfolio and established USPs and brand positioning for all products. Monitored and
made recommendations for continuous improvement in productivity, capacity utilization and cost reductions.
Established procedures and best practices around customer service and account management.
• Launched the Bed Bug Defense Shield™, a unique bed bug prevention system. Brought the product to
market, established brand positioning, and trained the sales team. Developed brand support materials
including brochures, websites, trade shows and managed public relations efforts. Championed expanded
efficacy testing, and helped design testing protocols. Developed & presented decks to customer accounts.
Developed and implemented sales fulfillment procedures, established baseline standards for quality control
and performance at the factory.
• Initiated and implemented product improvements to the Gutter Guard product (GutterClear 365™) based on
consumer feedback and complaints that was well received and applauded both internally and by FXI’s retail
partners, without raising product cost.
• Researched, presented and begun to implement a strategic shift in brand strategy for GutterClear 365™
away from retail and into the larger and more lucrative distributor/contractor market.
• Aggressively pursued new marketing initiatives for GutterClear 365™, including website re-launch,
optimizing for SEO and SEM, promotional videos, advertising and consumer-focused promotional initiatives
• QUICKIE MANUFACTURING CORP., CINNAMINSON, NEW JERSEY 2005 - 2012
Marketing Director - Product Marketing & Development (2008 – 2012)
Led product management of core business tools. Analyzed product portfolio performance versus category
trends down to the sub-segment level. Benchmarked competitors. Adapted product portfolio to changes in
consumer behaviors, beliefs and motivations. Interfaced with the Symphony/IRI database and created
JOHN D. CIARLONE
innovative, customized reports that provided invaluable insights that were utilized throughout the organization.
Developed strategy, branding, budget and sales forecast of new or upgraded tools.
• Developed and launched 2 major tool lines based on consumer research that identified 2 macro trends
among consumers – Health & Wellness and Personal Sustainability.
o Launched Green Cleaning without Chemicals microfiber program with 26 SKUs, targeting Personal
Sustainability consumers. Continued to grow this business with new SKUs and retailers (including
Walmart), and accounted for 15% of company sales.
o Launched Microban® Antibacterial treated tools and Lysol branded Antibacterial Tools targeting
Health & Wellness consumers. Both of these lines grew substantially, and combined accounted for
over 25% of company sales.
• Drove insights to develop strategies for penetration of the company’s first entry in the Quick-Clean category,
Lysol Clean-Flip, which launched in 2011 with significant retailer support and was the first true threat to the
category dominating Swiffer.
• Led the internal development team in the creation and implementation of a Sharepoint-based New Product
Development system (Stage/Gate based process).
Marketing Manager – Channel Marketing, F/D/M (2005 – 2008)
Managed marketing activities to customers in Food/Drug/Mass channels. Analyzed and reviewed customers'
performance in their RMA and CRMA regions. Recommended POG strategies to maximize the customers'
space. Developed and executed marketing and promotional plans to encourage sell-through.
• Developed and launched private label programs for Meijer, Albertsons and Wegmans stores, with greater
margins for retailers and long-term slot guarantees for Quickie.
• Developed/enhanced private label tools for Supervalu, ATA, Wakefern, A&P, Target, Ahold, Price Chopper,
Safeway, Kmart, Home Depot, Lowes and Ace Hardware.
• Led the internal Private Label consolidation program, which updated and streamlined all private label SKUs
to use common molds, components and package dielines whenever possible for a cost savings of over 15%
of gross sales for those items.
• Drove display and sales promotions of the Green Cleaning line at Wegmans for year-over-year sales
increases of 15% for consecutive years.
• Oversaw the complete re-launch of packaging and branding for all 3 of the core Quickie Brands – Original,
Home-Pro and Professional and included over 300 SKUs.
• BANK OF AMERICA (PREVIOUSLY FLEET CREDIT CARD SERVICES), HORSHAM, PENNSYLVANIA
Marketing Manager – Complementary Products (2000 – 2004)
Managed all FCCS Fee-Based and Merchandise product marketing. Planned and completed product
promotions in DM, TM, VRU and Web channels. Forecasted, tracked, analyzed, and reported on sales results
and recommended product/strategy adjustments. Managed overall statement channel plan for Complementary
Products. Managed development and implementation of all Fee-Based and Merchandise products for
Complementary Ventures, Fleet’s in-house marketing agency which utilized expertise in marketing and channel
management to provide turn-key products and services to non-Fleet banks and credit unions.
• Delivered $5.1MM in revenue and $3.5MM in profits (5% over plan).
• Ini tiated a new variable in the DM and TM lead selection process based on relevant
t ransactional data that resulted in an increase in response of 21% versus control.
• Launched MemberWorks Pharmacy+, Fleet’s exclusive fee-based H ispanic language product.
• Successfully In tegrated Gramm-Leach-Bliley Privacy Act requirements for fee-based products
w hile maintaining overall fee-based marketing plan goals.
• Generated statement channel revenue of $1.53MM, an 18% increase over the previous year.
JOHN D. CIARLONE
• Set new record of 83MM insertions, an increase of 16% and 42% over the previous years,
d uring an overall decline in Fleet’s cardmember volume of 10% in the same period.
• Launched the $25 Gas Card sales premium, a highly successful and effective buyer incentive
t hat was unbeaten as the control premium for 3 years running.
• Generated $162M in profit for the fi rst 2 quarters for First National Bank of Marin’s
S tatement channel, and a projected $448M in profits for the following year, increases of 4%
and 12% over previous FNBM revenue highs for this channel.
• THE FRANKLIN MINT, MEDIA, PENNSYLVANIA
Marketing/Product Manager – Diecast Precision Models (1997-2000)
Managed a marketing development budget of $10MM. Conducted market research on the trends and
inclinations of Precision Diecast Model buyers, determined the models most likely to succeed, and championed
and presented these recommendations to the marketing steering committee and TFM’s private owners.
Managed and coordinated the efforts of design, sponsor relations, and manufacturing to bring the products to
market, and resolved disputes and production conflicts among these departments. Developed the Unique
Selling Proposition (USP) for each model. Directed the in-house advertising agency in the development of
marketing materials, and briefed the customer service department on current and upcoming marketing
promotional activities. Developed and executed the sales plans for the products in all channels. Conducted
numerous marketing tests with each promotion to maximize profitability and other strategic goals.
• Developed the “New to You” strategy, which outperformed the control by 400%. The “New to
You” strategy became a new standard marketing model for the Franklin Mint company-wide
• Ini tiated and launched the 1930 Al Capone Cadillac, second best-selling Franklin M int
p roduct and #1 diecast model of 1999. This landmark product int roduced a number of
i nnovative features and marketing concepts, and also was the launch vehicle for an extremely
successful new TFM theme
• Int roduced 2 model categories, including Muscle Cars, which became the 3 rd best-selling
d iecast theme in its 2nd year
• Recognized as the expert in the Franklin Mint’s Marketing & Sales Planning system, I was
asked to create the teaching materials and direct the course for all marketing personnel
• Successfully modified the Limi ted Edition marketing strategy, resulting in a 20% increase in
u nit sales, while simultaneously increasing profits by nearly 80%, and eliminating inventory
& related expenses
• Diecast Precision Models Sales increased 10% during the 1997-2000 period, while overall
F ranklin Mint sales dropped more than 50% during the same period
• UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA, COLUMBIA, SC
• BACHELOR OF SCIENCE, MARKETING
Membership ANA (Association of National Advertisers)
Membership American Marketing Association
Membership University of South Carolina Alumni Association
JOHN D. CIARLONE