Michael J. Cook
Skokie, IL 60077
CAREER SUMMARY: Extensive experience in hospital and physician account receivables (cash-posting, billing,
charge entry, patient representative, supervision). Trained in four systems plus Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access).
Strengths: Proven problem solving, strong verbal and written skills, reporting accurate financial data and statistics,
meeting monthly deadlines, ability to work with other departments. Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate high-
performing teams, set performance goals.
Rush University Medical Center (January 2012-May 2012), Collector Rush University Medical Group.
• Collecting on aging physician receivables through internet searches, phone calls to third-party payors, patients
• Updating system to efficiently secure payments
• Customer service phone calls, cash posting, correspondence follow-up
Served as Treasurer of Dignity/Chicago (2010-2013), IT Coordinator (2010-currently)
Completed Medical Billing Certificate for CPT and ICD-9 Coding curriculum (2009-2010) at Oakton Community College
Completed QuickBooks Part 1 Accounting course (2011) plus Financial, Cost and Intermediate Accounting courses at
Oakton Community College since 2009.
Served in President Obama’s election campaigns (2008, 2012) as a volunteer for canvassing, phone-banking.
Accordis Inc./Zavata-American Corp (2005-2007) Medical receivables management, Supervisor of Credit Balance
• Supervised crew of 5 employees to resolve backlog of 4,500 credit balance accounts for New York City and
Chicago EMS clients. Successfully resolved credit balance inventory to within 60-day industry norm.
• Wrote procedures and trained staff in coordination of benefits resolution between two or more insurance
companies based on industry practices and legal requirements.
• Streamlined refund and appeals for recovered payments processes using downloaded Medicare CMS forms and
• Trained staff in identifying accounts for refund, adjustment, cash transfer, internet searches for insurance
payments, communication with insurance companies. Successfully delegated responsibilities for refund process
• Communicated with patients, insurance companies, clients, client managers regarding refund, cash-posting issues.
• Screened and approved refund, adjustment and cash-transfer requests.
• Saved major client refund costs and administrative expenses through audit of Humana Medicare HMO
Springfield Service Corp (2004-2005) Outsource firm that acquired ENH physician receivables. Coordinator
• Posted daily electronic remittance files for Medicare/BC-BS and maintained Access tracking database.
• Wrote procedures and trained 3 employees in balancing file postings with cash payments, resolution of cash
• Entered HMO IPA bulk payments into Access tracking database, worked with IT support team for development of
database and trained posting staff in use.
• Resolved monthly holding accounts for medical records and subpoena fees through charge adjustment and
crediting of physician income in Epic.
• Successfully trained in Epic Comprehensive Physician Practice module.
Northshore University Healthsystem (formerly Evanston Northwestern Healthcare 11/78-4/04)
Supervisor Cash Posting Professional Business Office (1985-2004)
• Hired, trained and supervised staff to post cash, claims denial messages, and calculate contractual adjustments for
110 physicians. Staff grew from 3 to 9.
• Received hospital achievement award for testing and implementing electronic remittance programs for
Medicare/BC-BS in Epic.
• Developed procedures and supervised crew to post cash to A/R, resolve credit balances, approved refunds,
transfer cash, and post adjustments to accounts.
• Developed holding accounts linked to four bank accounts for refunding multiple practices.
• Served as A/R Physician Bookkeeper. Prepared monthly journal entries, spread-sheets for reporting income,
refunds, collection and billing fees in Excel, wire transfers with bank and provided assistance with monthly bank
account reconciliation. Prepared daily deposits of checks.
• Devised research methods for identifying and reposting unidentified cash.
• Paid monthly collection agency fees through journal entries, check requisitions. Allocated costs against physician
• Supervised daily posting of Medicare/BC-BS electronic remittance data, maintained balancing tracking database
• Wrote procedures and trained staff for balancing electronic posting files to cash payments, resolving cash errors in
• Worked with unit’s IT team and Accounting on report changes, balancing procedures and tracking databases.
• Began career as a patient representative, communicated with patients over the phone and in writing regarding
account status and as information systems data analyst correcting and posting charges from error report.
Currently enrolled in Associate Degree in Accounting curriculum, Oakton Community College
MA in Urban Studies, University of Chicago
BA in Political Science, University of Louisville
Languages: conversational Spanish, sign-language for hearing impaired
RERERENCES: Available upon request