Medical Library Supervisor
Al Jouf University, KSA
Mobile No. : 088********
Skills & Specialization
• Library Computerization & Digitization, worked on many LMS, including Symphony, KOHA, LibSys, DelPlus, Alice for Windows, Netlib, and CDS-ISIS
• EndNote – Reference Management Software – Specialized Resource Person/Trainer
• Sound knowledge of KOHA Open Source LMS and MARC 21 Format of Bibliographic description.
• DSPACE – Open Source Institutional Repository Software for creation of archive of University/college intellectual output.
• Calibre – E-Book Management Software
• Planning, Managing and Coordinating Books and Periodicals Acquisition – Ordering, Reviewing and Monitoring Library Materials, Budget and Expenditure
• Cataloguing with AACR-II, Classification with DDC, UDC and LC Classification Schemes and LC Subject Heading List for indexing.
• Creating reading awareness among students and faculty and maximize the use of the library by frequently organizing library orientation visits and Information literacy programs. https://sites.google.com/site/aljoufmedicallibrary/discussion
• Created an "E-book Digital Library" using Calibre E-Book Management Software accessible from anywhere within University campus. http://10.5.20.165:8080/
• Developed a Medical Library Portal in order to make the resources easily available to students and faculty.
• Developed a database of medical presentation slides used by the faculty in order to preserve and reuse the institutional knowledge.
• Assisted in editing and modifying KSU Introductory Booklet for Developmental Programs (English).
• Revived the publication of Indian Journal of Youth Affairs in the year 2006 – Managed successfully its publicity, coordinating with contributors/ authors, subscription and distribution
• Initiated a thematic bibliographical publication “InfoShare” for researchers containing articles of journals, magazines, newspaper clippings and citations of electronic information – also successfully managed its publication and distribution.
• R & D on several Open Source ILS, Digital Repository, LMS and CMS software ie. KOHA, OpenBiblio, Dspace, Greenstone, Drupal, WordPress, Mendeley Major Degree/s
• Master of Philosophy in Library and Information Science (M.Phil) from Madurai Kamraj University, India, in 2007.
• Master of Library and Information Science from Annamalai University (India) in 2000.
• Bachelor of Library and Information Science from Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi (India) in 1999.
• Bachelor Degree (4 years) in English Language & Literature from B. R. Ambedkar Bihar University in 1996
Academic Achievement: Qualified National Level Exam- NET (National Eligibility Test) for Professor/Lecturership in the year 2014, conducted by the University Grants Commisstion
(UGC), India's premier body of higher education.
• August 2014 – May 2018
Medical Library Supervisor, Al-Jouf University, KSA
• July 2009 – August 2013
Web Librarian, Vice Rectorate of Graduate Studies and Scientific Research, King Saud University, Riyadh, KSA
• April 2003 - June 2009
Technical Assistant (Library), International Youth Centre, New Delhi, India.
• August 2000 – June 2002
Bibliographer, National Bibliography of Indian Literature Project, Sahitya Akademi Library, New Delhi, India.
Professional Experience Summary
Working as a Medical Library Supervisor with Al-Jouf University, Sakaka, KSA since August 2014
• Manage daily operations of the Medical Library; including reference, interlibrary loan, and technical services, in addition to supervise junior employees and volunteer students.
• Involved in the Library’s information literacy program by coordinating, designing and delivering course-related instruction in key biomedical databases, and open access- https://sites.google.com/site/aljoufmedicallibrary/discussion
• Provide guidance in usage of reference, technology equipment, software, databases, and OPAC.
• Participate in scholarly activities and develop good relationships and communicate effectively with the entire university community.
• Assist students in their projects/assignments with particular training sessions to meet their research needs.
• Provide library orientation tours for new faculty, staff, students and visitors.
• Planned the policy and procedures, strategic plan and redesigning the library space.
• Evaluate and develop the library printed collections, online resources, programs and curriculum support.
• Prepare continuing reports on the library and information community to be published in the University's Journal.
• Coordinate and develop the Library’s online presence by making a library portal.
• Develop an E-Book Digital Library using Calibre E-Book Management Software accessible to students and faculty from anywhere within university campus. Worked with King Saud University as a Web Librarian from July 2009 to August 2013.
• Managing the Permanent Documentary Exhibition Centre of the University and give orientation to Visitors in the Documentation Centre
• Involved in the creation and maintenance of digitization project of the University’s Institutional Repository using DSpace Open Source Digitization Software
• Creation and maintenance of Photo Database of the Centre
• Editing and Modifying the KSU Introductory Booklet and other publications. Worked with Vishwa Yuvak Kendra (International Youth Centre), Chanakyapuri, New Delhi as a LIBRARY TECHNICAL ASSISTANT from April 2003.
• Successfully created the computerized database of library holdings (12000 volumes) using DEL-PLUS Software (Version 2.0) and MARC 21 Format.
• Responsible for the management of all computerized activities i.e. Maintenance of Database, Preparing Computerized Catalogue, Indexing of articles of journals and newspaper clippings, Preparing Bibliographies, and Inter-Library Loan.
• Digitization and preparing metadata of archival documents using Dspace Software.
• Publication In charge of Indian Journal of Youth Affairs: A half yearly Journal on Youth. Responsible for Publicity, Coordinating with contributors, Subscription and distribution.
• Responsible for bringing out a quarterly thematic bibliographical publication ‘InfoShare’ for researchers and programme staffs which contains articles of Journals, Magazines, Newspapers and citations of electronic information available online. Worked as a BIBLIOGRAPHER in a project entitled National Bibliography of Indian Literature in Sahitya Akademi Library, New Delhi and Tibet House Library, New Delhi on behalf of DELNET (Developing Library Network) since August 2000 to June 2002.
• Preparing Computerized Records based on MARC 21, UNIMARC Format.
• Classification through DDC 21
• Subject Heading through LCSH, 20
• Cataloguing through AACR-2 in MARC 21 Format.
• Data Inputting through DEL-DOS Software.
Participated in the 2
International Conference on E-Learning & Distance Learning under the title ‘Unique Learning for Next Generation” held in Riyadh from 21-24 February 2011.
Participated in the International Conference of Asian Special Libraries (ICoASL 2008) on “Shaping the Future of Special Libraries: Beyond Boundaries” from 26-28 November 2008 at India Islamic Cultural Centre, New Delhi.
Participated in and successfully completed the training program on “Managing Information Resources in the Digital Age” organized by the Centre for Science and Environment, New Delhi from August 21 to 24, 2007. Participated in the 8
National Convention on Library and Information Networking
(NACLIN 2005) on “Strategies for Managing Knowledge Resources: Promoting Research, Education and Skills”, jointly organized by DELNET and PES Institute of Technology, Bangalore from August 22-25 2005 at PESIT, Bangalore. Undergone Practical Training on “Application of IT in the Management of Library and Information Services” jointly organized by National Informatics Centre and DELNET from 8-10 December 2003.
1. Ahmed, Aquil and Reyaee, S. (2019). Bibliometric Analysis of Research Publications of Al-Jouf University, Saudi Arabia during the Year 2006-2017. Library Philosophy and Practice, May.
2. Ahmed, Aquil and Reyaee, S. (2017). Knowledge and Use of Electronic Information Resources by Medical Students at Al-Jouf University in Saudi Arabia. Library Philosophy and Practice, July.
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=4352&context=libphilprac 3. Al-Reyaee, S. and Ahmed, Aquil (2015). "The Academic Performance of University Students on Facebook in Saudi Arabia: A Case Study". Review of Research, Vol. 4 (12). September.http://ror.isrj.org/ArticleDetails.aspx?id=1817 4. Reyaee, S. and Ahmed, A. (2015). "Growth Pattern of Social Media usage in Arab Gulf Countries: An Analytical Study", Social Networking, Vol. 4, April: 23-32. http://www.scirp.org/Journal/PaperDownload.aspx?paperID=55602. 5. Ahmed, Aquil, Sulaiman Al Reyaee and Azizur Rahman (2014). Theses and Dissertations in Institutional Repositories: An Asian Perspective. New Library World, Vol. 115(9/10), September.
http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/full/10.1108/NLW-04-2014-0035 6. Aquil Ahmed and Sulaiman Al-Reyaee, (2014), Coping the Budget Pressure: Possibility of Adopting Open Source Solutions in Saudi Libraries: A Review. e-Library Science http://www.scirp.org/Journal/PaperDownload.aspx?paperID=55602. 7. Ahmed, Aquil and Al Reyaee, S. (2014). "Mapping Service Quality- An Examination of User Needs, Satisfaction and Library Performance: A Case Study", International Journal of Library Science, Vol. 12, no. 3: 60-72.
http://www.ceser.in/ceserp/index.php/ijls/article/view/3037 8. Ahmed, Aquil. Non-Governmental Organizations: A Select Bibliography. (2005). Social Change, December; Vol. 35 (4), Pp. 157-163.
9. Ahmed, Aquil. Micro finance/Micro-credit: A Select Bibliography. (2009). Indian Journal of Youth Affairs. January-June; Vol. 13(1), Pp. 56-66. Computer Skills
Operating System : MS-DOS, Windows 95/98/NT
Packages : MS-Office, Photoshop, Page Maker, PowerPoint, Internet Library Software : KOHA, Symphony, DELPLUS 2.0, LibSys, DELDOS, Alice for Windows, NetLib, CDS-ISIS
Digital Library Software : DSpace, Greenstone Digital Library Software (GSDL), Calibre Book Management
Date of Birth: : 29th November 1975
Father’s Name : Mr. Zahir Ahmed
Marital Status : Married
Nationality : Indian
Passport No. : J5498226
Language Known : English, Urdu, Arabic