Dr. RAHUL GARG
Address for Correspondence:
Department of Microbiology,
Kasturba Medical College Manipal
Karnataka, India- 576104
Mail ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
S/o Mr. P.K.Garg
Block No. B1, Flat No. 2B,
Sugam park, KSTP
Sector 1, South Dadka
Asansol (West Bengal)-713302, India
Education/Training: MD (Clinical Microbiology And Infection control) & MBBS.
Postgraduate dissertation: Bacterial Sepsis and Antimicrobial treatment practices in a tertiary care hospital of South India.
Institution and Location Designation and
Degree (if applicable)
Field of study
college and Hospital,
college and Hospital,
1. Hospital acquired infection control and survillance. 2. Critical care Microbiology and diagnostic stearwdship in various filed of infection related to Bacteriology, Mycobacterial, Mycology, Parasitology, Immunology, and Virology.
3. Automation and Molecular methods including Polymerase chain reaction, Microarray, BacT-Alert/3D, Chemiluminese, VITEK-2, MALDI-TOF, MGIT, Hain’s test, GeneXpert, and Filmarray.
4. Antimicrobial Stewardship program.
5. Biostatistics and Research Methodology.
Area of special Interest:
1. Critical care Microbiology and management of infections. 2. Diagnosing Sepsis and Source Control.
3. Infection control practices in Hospital and Antibiotic stewardship. 4. Outbreak Investigation.
5. Antimicrobial resistance.
5. Molecular Diagnostics.
Student lead in the management of outbreak, from Investigation to the control measures in NICU of a Tertiary care Hospital.
Active participation in Antibiotic stewardship and Infection control practices of Kasturba Hospital, Manipal under the guidance of Dr.Chiranjay Mukhopadhyay, Head Hospital infection control committee.
Hospital Infection Control (surveillance of HAP, VAE, CR-BSI and CAUTI, SSI in all the ICUs and wards of Kasturba Hospital, Manipal, a tertiary care Centre).
Actively participated in a Point prevalence survey of antimicrobial consumption as a part of “World Antibiotic awareness week- 2017”. Curriculum Vitae
Garg R, Shaw T, Bhat SN, Mukhopadhyay C. Melioidosis: the great mimicker presenting as spondylodiscitis. BMJ case reports. 2018 Feb 8;2018:bcr-2017
Eshwara VK, Garg R, Chandrashekhar GS, Shaw T, Mukhopadhyay C. Fatal Cryptococcus gattii meningitis with negative cryptococcal antigen test in an HIV-non-infected patient. Indian journal of medical microbiology. 2018 Jul 1;36(3):439-40.
Banerjee B, Madiyal M, Ramchandra L, Mukhopadhyay C, Garg R, Chawla K. Unusual Severe Extra-Intestinal Manifestations of a Common Enteric Pathogen-Aeromonas Spp. Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR. 2017 May;11(5): DC01.
Scientific Abstracts and Presentation:
1. Unusual severe extra-intestinal manifestation of a common enteric pathogen, Aeromonas hydrophila. Rahul Garg, Ramchandra L Mukhopadhyay C, Banerjee B. GUT MICROBIOME 2016. Kasturba Medical college, Manipal (Poster presentation).
2. Seroepidemiology of Hepatitis A and Hepatitis E: How common is Co- infection. Rahul Garg, Muralidhar Varma, Vandana KE, Mridula M. CIDSCON 2017, Nagpur (Poster presentation).
3. Stop Pneumonia: Invest in child health. Rahul Garg and Haritha M. Manipal McGill centre for Infectious diseases KMC Manipal 2017. (Poster presentation).
4. Validating Sepsis mortality prediction by novel Sepsis score in Tertiary ICU setup’s, Rahul Garg, Tushar shaw, Vandana KE, Asha Kamath, Muralidhar V, Chiranjay M, CIDSCON 2018. CMC Vellore (Oral presenation).
5. The Burden of Bacterial sepsis and Antibiotic Resistance Pattern In Critically Ill Patients: An observational study from South costal India. Rahul Garg, Tushar shaw, Vandana KE, Asha Kamath, Muralidhar V, Curriculum Vitae
Chiranjay M, World congress on infectious diseases and antibiotics -2018, IISc Bengaluru (Oral presenation).
6. Source of Bacterial sepsis and its impact on Sepsis related outcome: A prospective observational study from ICU’s of a tertiary care hospital. Rahul Garg, Tushar shaw, Vandana KE, Muralidhar V, Chiranjay M, South Zone Critical care conference 2018, Mysuru (Oral presenation). 7. Contamination of CSF Culture: Serious risk to patient safety. Rahul Garg, Haritha M, Tushar Shaw, Vandana K.E. DIAGNOCON 2018 Kasturba Medical college, Manipal (Poster presentation) Workshop Attended:
1. Workshop on ‘Basic Virological Techniques’ September 2018, conducted by Manipal Centre for Virus Research, Manipal Academy of Higher Education.
2. Workshop on ‘Automated Techniques in Rapid Diagnosis of Infectious Diseases’ conducted by the Department of Microbiology, KMC Manipal- DIAGNOCON 2018.
3. 2nd National workshop on Hospital Infection control-2017 conducted by JIPMER, Pondicherry
4. 4th National workshop on Parasitology-2016 conducted by Department of Microbiology KMC Manipal.
5. Workshop on ‘Protocol writing, Research Methodology and Biostatistics’ conducted by the Department of Community Medicine KMC Manipal, 2016. Awards:
1. Travel Award for scientific presentation at 4th Annual South Zone Conference on Critical Care (SCZZ)-2018.
2. Oral presentation Runner-up award in 8th Annual Conference of Clinical Infectious Diseases Society (CIDSCON)-2018 held at CMC Vellore. 3. Poster Presentation Runner-up award in DIAGNOCON 2018 National Conference-2018 held at KMC Manipal.
4. Successfully completed ‘Fellow ID- Online Course’ by SHEA Society endorsed by IDSA.
5. Successfully completed ‘PG Diploma in Infectious Diseases’ by Medvarsity Hyderabad in association with USNW Australia. Affiliations: Student membership of the American society of microbiology (ASM)
1. Dr. Chiranjay Mukhopadhyay, Professor, and Ex-Head, Department Of Microbiology, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal University, Manipal, Dist-Udupi, Karnataka, India, PIN-576104,
2. Dr. Vandana K.E, Professor, Incharge: Critical Care Lab, Department Of Microbiology, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal University, Manipal, Dist-Udupi, Karnataka, India, PIN-576104
3. Dr. Shashidhar V, Associate Professor, Department Of Microbiology, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal University, Manipal, Dist-Udupi, Karnataka, India, PIN-576104
Dr. Rahul Garg