Kalamazoo, Michigan l 806-***-**** l firstname.lastname@example.org l linkedin.com/in/akshit-vaidya/ CHEMICAL PROCESS ENGINEER
Dynamic and hands-on graduate with demonstrated experience in project management within chemical and process engineering in a lean manufacturing environment. Expert at identifying project scope, requirements and deliverables using lean principles. Thrives in a fast-paced environment and passionate about continuous improvement. EDUCATION AND CREDENTIALS
Master of Science (MS), Chemical Engineering, Western Michigan University, CGPA 3.79/4.0 05/2019 Post Graduate Diploma, Process Engineering, Pune University, GPA Equivalent 3.6 12/2015 Bachelor of Chemical Engineering, Mumbai University, GPA Equivalent 3.4 05/2015 CERTIFICATION
Six Sigma Green Belt (ID: 3676097)
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
Project Engineer, Orbond Aquatech Pvt Ltd, Mumbai 07/2015 - 07/2017
• Specialized in Lean Manufacturing to implement layout redesign in compliance with ISO and ASTM regulations
• Lead a team to optimize and analyze performance objectives using KPI’s for maximizing growth parameters.
• Designed PFD, P&ID with equivalent sizing and output for piping systems and utilities structure using DFMEA.
• Drafted Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and delivered training and change management activities.
• Utilized DOE to study variables throughout the system, eliminating errors and increasing efficiency.
• Assisted in commissioning 4 projects in the generic pharmaceutical and chemical sector.
• Adopted lean management methodologies like 5S, VSM and Kaizen during design and implementation phases
• Conducted value stream mapping to achieve optimal process layout to reduce 15-20% commissioning time.
• Optimized processes for wastewater and sewage treatment plants to reduce waste generation by 20%. Engineering Intern, Bharat Petroleum Corp Ltd, Mumbai 06/2014 - 07/2014
• Designed a Distillation Column to replace an in-use column to lower stages and increased output by 18%.
• Researched petrol, kerosene, LPG, and other petroleum products to obtain higher octane and calorific values. Engineering Intern, Shri Sairam Gas Agency, Mumbai 06/2013 - 07/2013
• Surveyed the distribution of Liquefied Petroleum Gas and the commercial and domestic bottling process.
• Designed an algorithm to increase penetration of LPG in the Mumbai outskirt area. Graduate Research Assistant, Western Michigan University 08/2017 – Present
• Built cellulose based battery separator for Lithium-Ion batteries to be pitched against commercial separator
• Assembled Lithium-ion batteries and evaluated them for its rate and cycling capabilities for variable C rates.
• Utilized nanoscale fabrication techniques to achieve nano-sized pores and tunable porosity for LIB separators.
• Electrodes formation using fabrication/coating with varied compositions for optimal performance
• Separators prepared with cellulose and derivatives for better mechanical and electrochemical performance
• Material degradation and dendrite growth testing using SEM/XRD/FTIR for failure analysis Teaching Assistant, Western Michigan University 08/2017 – Present
• Assist classroom instruction for Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics and Fluid/Heat/Mass Transfer courses.
• Focus upon problem solving methodologies and experiments based on individual unit operations CORE COMPETENCIES
● Process Optimization
● Procedure Development
● Quality Control / Testing
● Failure Analysis / PFMEA
● Performance Metrics (KPIs)
● Heat/Mass Transfer
● 3D CAD Drawings
● Battery System
● Design Reviews
● Process Mapping
● Project Management
● Lithium Ion Batteries
● Risk Analysis / Mitigation
● Process Development
● Root Cause Analysis
● Lean / Six Sigma
● Safety Standards
Software Skills: COMSOL, ANSYS, MATLAB, SAP, Minitab, AutoCAD, Microsoft Office Suite, HTRI, Aspen HYSYS ACADEMIC PROJECTS
Anaerobic Digestion of Municipal Sewage Waste 07/2014 - 05/2015
• Designed reactor with energy balances, to produce 100 kg of Biogas per day with minimum discharge.
• Calculated material balance and energy balance for maximum output and lower energy consumption. Concentration elevation of Sodium Hydroxide up to 50% using a multi effect Evaporator system 08/2015 - 12/2015
• Multiple effect evaporator design, line and equipment sizing with P&ID/PFD for active in-plant commissioning.