Dawn M. Mitchell ACNP-BC
December 2012 - Present
Beaumont Michigan Heart Group
• Performs patient care to general, interventional and electrophysiology patients in the inpatient hospital setting at both William Beaumont Hospital Royal and Troy campuses. Preforms admissions, discharges, daily rounds, writes daily notes and preforms clinical exams, completes cardiac consultations and cardiac clearances for various procedures and surgeries. Other duties include; management of heart failure, hypertension, ordering stress tests, cardiac CTA’s, echocardiograms, cardiac catherizations, scheduling ablations, and PPM’s.
• Beaumont Royal Oak and utilizes a hybrid OR / Cath lab tp perform various less invasive procedures such as TAVR, Watchman (left atrial appendage closure device) and mitral valve clip device. I have medically managed most of these types of patients from admission to discharge.
• PERT MANAGEMENT- Directly involved in the daily medical management of patients diagnosed with pulmonary embolism. Working with the PERT team to diagnose PE/DVT, perform surveillance and providing discharge recommendations for anticoagulation management post hospitalization. July 2012-November 2012
Henry Ford Hospital, West Bloomfield - Surgical Services
• Responsible for the medical management of all surgical patients on the surgical services. The surgical services included; General surgery, orthopedic, vascular, urology, ENT, and pediatric patients.
• Surgical ICU Management of surgical patients requiring hemodynamic monitoring and ventilatory support.
April 2012 - July 2012
Cardiology Service, Maui Memorial Hospital, Wailuku, Maui
• Primary ACNP responsible for the development, implementation and growth of the interventional cardiology service. This position was an autonomous and dynamic NP position. The 3 moth assignment was a post pilot program. I was the only NP at Maui Memorial Hospital supporting the program and conducting cardiac care through the continuum.
• This included general cardiology, interventional, cardiac surgery patients and SICU/ CCU patients.
• Worked directly with the cardiac surgeon to develop cardiac surgery order sets and discharge forms as well as patient educational tools. August 2011 - March 2012
Pilot Program for Acute MI / PCI Interventional Cardiology Program - Maui New Program development
• One of ten Acute Car Nurse Practitioners who participated in the pilot program. Maui was establishing a new interventional cardiology program with two interventional cardiologists.
• Education of the hospital nursing staff, including EC, Catherization lab, ICU, and step down units. This educational process included formal and informal lectures, bedside practicum for sheath removals and application of closure devices as well as IABP management and removal.
• Act as first responders for “ Acute MI “ in the emergency room in calibration with the EC physician and cardiologist, to triage ACS/UA / STEMI / NSTEMI admission. t. Responsibilities also included, interpretation of ECG’s, and implementation of core measures.
• Management of preoperative and post operative cardiothoracic patients in the ICU and step down units.
1983-2012 William Beaumont Hospital Royal Oak, Mi. July 2011-April 2012
Acute Chest Pain Service
• Act as first responders for “ Acute MI “ in the emergency room in calibration with the EC physician and cardiologist expediting transportation to the catherization lab for PCI / Stent
• Responsibilities included triage of ACS/UA / STEMI / NSTEMI admissions, interpretation of ECG’s, and implementation of core measures and evaluation.
• Triage chest pain calls on the medical /surgical units.
• Participated on quality assurance measures for Acute MI team. January 2010 - July 2011
Surgical Intensive Care Acute CAre Nurse Practitioner
• Daily management of surgical intensive care critically ill patients. This included cardiac surgery, neurosurgery, trauma and general surgical patients. Participation in daily multidisciplinary rounds, coordination of daily management plans including management of the ventilator and extubation protocols, insertion of arterial and central lines, and IAPB maintenance and removal.
• Participated in procedures such as tracheostomies, and IABP insertions. 2007-2009
Clinical Research Clinician / Manager - Cardiovascular Surgical Clinical Trials William Beaumont Hospital Royal Oak
• Functioned as a clinical nurse coordinator for various research studies involving devices for cardiovascular surgery, vascular surgery and interventional radiology. Responsible for subject recruitment, implementation of research protocols and follow up care.
• Managed pharmacological randomized and nonrandomized clinical trials involving cardiovascular and epidemiological disease processes.
• Developed and implemented the nasal decolonization protocol ( MRSA / MSSA) for the cardiovascular service.
Nurse Clinician - Cardiovascular Surgery, Surgical Intensive Care, William Beaumont Hospital Royal Oak, MI.
• Participated in daily rounds, performed history and physicals, admissions, pre-op/ post- op teaching. Preformed pacing wire discontinuation, and simple suturing.
• Acting Coordinator for the cardiac assist device ( VAD, abiomed)
• Service line Coordinator - Cardiac surgery. Responsible for monthly agenda and the facilitation of monthly meetings and development of benchmarking tools.
• Clinical pathway development for cardiac surgery
• Development of practice guidelines and implementation of these guidelines.
• Clinical educator and resource for residents, staff nurses, patients and families.
• Developed educational teaching materials including teaching tools and videos.
• Developed the patient education booklet for cardiac surgery “ A Manual for Patients and Families “ 2005.
• Developed the discharge video, 2007 ( in conjunction with patient education and video productions) “ Going Home After Cardiovascular Surgery”
• Facilitated the cardiovascular family support group with the social worker. 1983-1992
Staff Nurse / Charge Nurse and preceptor - William Beaumont Hospital Royal Oak
• 5 north - Cardiothoracic, Thoracic, and Vascular Surgery Unit 1982-1983
Marquette General Hospital- Marquette Mi
• Staff nurse-Cardiothoracic and General surgery
“ The Abiomed Experience at William Beaumont Hospital,” ( 2004), St Mary’s Hospital Saginaw, Michigan.
“ The Care of the Cardiac Surgery Patient,”(2003-2007), William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak.
Marc P. Sakwa; Berry Franklin; Adam DeJong; Tom Keho: Dawn Mitchell; David S. Bach; William Beaumont, Troy Michigan, United States; University of Michigan, AnnArbor, Michigan, United States: “Maximal Exercise Hemodynamic Performance of Small Sized St Jude Medical Regent Mechanical Aortic Valves,” ( Presented at the Fifty- First Southern Thoracic Surgical Association Annual Meeting), November 04,2004. Marc P. Sakwa; Frank L. Shannon; Jeffery M. Altshuler; Nicolas A. Tepe; Eric A. Hanson; Dawn Mitchell RN; Joseph S. Bassett: William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Michigan: “ Hemodynamic Performance of the St Jude Medical Biocor Supra Aortic Valve in the Small Aortic Root.” ( Poster presentation, Society for Heart Valve Disease and reprinted with permission from SHVD)
Marc P. Sakwa; Frank L. Shannon; Jeffery M. Altshuler; Robert W. Emery; Dawn Mitchell RN; Dan Zwada, CCP; Arlen R. Holter, MD; William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Michigan ; “Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting with a Minimized Cardiopulmonary Bypass Circuit.” A Perspective, Randomized Trial, The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Volume 13, Number Article Published, 2009. Education
December 2009, Wayne State University, Detroit Michigan MSN, Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (ACNP)
1981 Northern Michigan University, Marquette Michigan BSN Nursing
Certifications / License
License RN/ACNP - Michigan and Hawaii
Recipient of the Irene Evelyn Voglar Endowed Scholarship Professional Organizations
AACN / Golden Key Honor society