647-***-**** – firstname.lastname@example.org
MAY 2017 – MARCH 2019 IN-HOUSE COUNSEL & VP OF SAFETY & COMPLIANCE, CANADIAN FLATBEDS LTD.
• Revamped and restructured Safety & Compliance department.
• In-house counsel duties such as giving advice on labour and employment issues.
• Advise and make decisions regarding traffic, and provincial offences within Ontario.
• Regularly worked with insurance adjusters, lawyers, paralegals, courthouse staff, & dispatchers.
• Improved 2 company’s CVORs and American SAFERWEB scores.
• Integrated and trained employees on Hours of Service tracking technology.
• Wrote lease agreements, employment contracts, vehicle sale agreements, and various policies.
• Hiring drivers who met policy standards.
• Point of contact person with the Ministry of Labour.
• Started and led Joint Health and Safety Committee.
• Wrote and integrated disciplinary action policy.
• Self-audited maintenance files, insurance claims, and employment files.
• Regularly ran safety meetings, training sessions, and one-on-one training. AUGUST 2016 – DECEMBER 2016 EVENT ASSISTANT, CANADIAN RACE RELATIONS FOUNDATION
• Assisted with training and implementing digital cataloging system.
• Writing and editing policy initiatives, information guides, and conference material.
• Contacting diversity leaders and inviting them to participate in the annual National conference.
• Selecting candidates for applicable awards.
• Organizing and assisting in two-day national conference. MAY 2016 – AUGUST 2016 PARALEGAL INTERN, REENA BASSER AND ASSOCIATES
• Legal research, fillings, meeting with clients and assisting on cases.
• Specifically, researched construction contract clauses, employment law issues, and landlord/tenant law matters.
• Wrote legal memos, served witnesses and parties to filings.
• Observing and assisting in courts and tribunals.
• Participating in trial prep and contributed to trial strategy. SEPTEMBER 2015 – AUGUST 2016 PARALEGAL TUTOR & WRITING TUTOR, HUMBER COLLEGE
• Assisted students with assignments. Helped by clarifying grammar issues, and explaining legal concepts.
• Explaining APA guidelines, and proper citation practices.
• Teaching students how to write critical responses, persuasive/comparative essays and research papers.
• Teaching students how to better understand legal concepts such as: legal research, evidence rules, advocacy rules, ADR principles, paralegal rules of conduct, and more.
• Tutored in classes ranging from Legal Research, Criminal Summary Convictions, Provincial Offences, Smalls Claims Court, Business/Civil Law, Debtor/Creditor Law, Advocacy, and more. EDUCATION
AUGUST 2016 PARALEGAL EDUCATION, HUMBER COLLEGE
Honours Diploma completed in 2016. I was on the Dean's list for every semester that I attended Humber.
AUGUST 2013 HONOURS BA IN JOURNALISM AND CONTEMPORARY STUDIES, WILFRID LAURIER UNIVERSITY
Honours BA received in 2013. I minored in Criminology and earned 2 distinctions in Journalism and Contemporary Studies.
• Fast learner
• Analytical problem solver
• Management experience
• 10 + years of grammar and editing
• 8+ years of Administration experience
• Strong writing background
• Long history of collaboration with
customers, vendors, Directors, VPs,
coordinators, & subordinates
• Strong oral & written communication
• Self-starter and well organized
• Both a team player and a leader
• Strong and well-developed customer service
• Professional demeanor and high ethical
• Able to complete tasks in a timely manner
and regularly completes tasks before set
• Detail oriented
• Thrives in busy workplaces
Besides working on my career and learning about new legal concepts, I also enjoy volunteering at an emergency Women’s shelter, reading, writing, hiking and mentoring.