NAME : DR. RANJAN KATYAL
FATHER’S NAME : SH. J.N. KATYAL
DATE OF BIRTH : 08.01.1967
SEX : Male
MARITAL STATUS : Married
ADDRESS : # ****, ****** **, *********- ******
E-mail ID : email@example.com
Matric: ICSE Board, St. John’s High School, Chandigarh 1984.
M.Sc. (Hons.) : Medical Biochemistry, Punjab University, Chandigarh 1991.
Ph.D. (Medical Biochemistry) Department of Biochemistry, P.U. Chandigarh and Department of Gastroenterology PGIMER, Chandigarh 1999.
TITLE OF THESIS
• M.Sc. - Studies on the effects of chronic oral administration of aluminium in rat brain.
• Ph.D.–Effect of rotavirus infection on small intestine of protein-energy- malnourished infant mice.
• Experience of stock maintaining, maintenance of account buying /procuring experimental instruments and stationary.
o Over seventeen years experience at PGI Chandigarh, Medical and Dental Colleges.
• Maintenance of staff attendance including faculty members, students and 3rd and 4th class employees.
o Over thirteen years experience
• Maintenance of academic reports / records of students of Medical, Dental, Physiotherapy & Nursing students
o Over fifteen years experience at Medical & Dental Colleges.
• As Sports Secretary, organizing sports activities at PGI Chandigarh
o Over five years experience at PGI Chandigarh
• Experience of making academic time table and buses’ schedule, Medical and Dental Colleges.
RESEARCH AND TEACHING EXPERIENCE
• Worked as Junior Research (JRF) in Department of Surgery, PGIMER, Chandigarh for a period of 8 months. (1991-92).
• Worked as a Biochemist at Medicos Clinical Laboratory, Chandigarh for a period of 7 months (1992-93).
• Worked as Junior Research Fellow (JRF) in Department of Gastroenterology, PGIMER, Chandigarh (1993-96)
• Worked as Junior Research Fellow (SRF) in Department of Gastroenterology, PGIMER, Chandigarh (1996-97)
• Worked as Research Associate (RA) in Department of Gastroenterology, PGIMER, Chandigarh (1999 to April- 2000).
• Worked as Reader, Head of the Department, Biochemistry, MN DAV Dental College. Solan (1-05- 2000 to 18-01- 2003).
• Worked as Assistant Professor/Associate Professor in Department of Biochemistry, M.M. Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Mullana (Ambala). 19 -01-.2003 to 14-02- 2009.
• Worked as Professor & H.O.D (Department of Biochemistry ), In SKSS Dental College, Sarabha, Ludhiana since 16th Feb 2009 to March,2010.
• Worked as Professor & H.O.D (Department of Biochemistry), In MNDAV Dental College, Solan, HP since 2-08-2010 to 5-03-2017.
• Worked as Principal (offg.) at MN DAV Dental College & Hospital,Solan,HP 01-12-13 to 31-08-2015.
• Presently working as Professor & H.O.D (Department of Biochemistry), In Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru Government Medical College Hospital, Chamba (HP) since March 2017 till date.
TOTAL EXPEREINCE AFTER POST GRADUATION 27 YEARS
TOTAL EXPEREINCE AFTER Ph.D. 19 YEARS
1. Awarded College Color by DAV College,Chandigarh for 3 years in a row for sports in 1985-1987,at DAV College,Chandigarh.
2. Awarded University Color by Panjab University,Chandigarh for sports in 1989,at Department of Biochemistry,PU,Chandigarh..
3. Awarded Junior Research Fellowship at Department of Gastroenterology, PGIMER, Chandigarh.
1994-1996 By CSIR, New Delhi.
4. Awarded Senior Research Fellowship at Department of Gastroenterology, PGIMER, Chandigarh.
1996-1999 By ICMR, New Delhi.
5. Awarded Research Associate Fellowship at Department of Gastroenterology, PGIMER, Chandigarh.
1999- 2000. By ICMR, New Delhi.
6. Awarded ‘YOUNG SCIENTIST AWARD’ by Indian Society Of Gastroenterologists at ISG Conference at Calcutta, India in 1999.
7. Awarded Certificate of Merit for best paper by J. Mitra & Co. Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi at the ISG Conference at New Delhi in 2001.
8. Appointed /invited as External Examiner for University Exams of BDS and DMLT for several years since 2003 till date by HP University,Shimla,Pt.BD Sharma Medical University,Rohtak,Haryana and Baba Farid Medical University,Panjab.
1. Mild to Moderate Malnutrition in small Intestine of young Rhesus Monkeys
SV Rana, D Gupta, AK Malik, R Katyal, SK Mehta.
The Research paper was selected as one of the ten best research papers in the world which were nominated for the John M.Konney Award for the year 1995 by the members of John M Kinney Award selection committee NewYork, U.S.A.
2. Effect of Rotavirus infection on small Gut Physiology in mouse model.
R Katyal, SV Rana, K Vaiphei, S Ojha, K Singh, V Singh
Paper selected for Young Investigator's Award at 37th Annual Conference of Indian society of Gastroenterology, Oct 27,1996.
3. Effect of Protease inhibitor on amino acid transport in Intestine of rotavirus infected infant mice.
R Katyal, V.Singh, SV Rana, K Vaiphei, S Ojha and K Singh.
Paper selected for the presentation in Plenary Session at 38th Annual Conference of Indian Society in Gastroenterology November 6-9,1997.
4. Protective Efficacy of trypsin inhibitor on the gut following rotavirus infection in malnourished infant mice
R Katyal, S. Ojha, SV Rana, K. Vaiphei, K Singh and V Singh
Paper selected for the presentation in Plenary Session at 39th Annual Conference of Indian Society in Gastroenterology Oct.- 29 - Nov. 1, 1998.
5. Effect of Rotavirus infection on small bowel lipid composition and glucose uptake in infant mice intestine.
R. Katyal, SV Rana, K Vaiphei, S Ohja, K. Singh and V. Singh
Paper awarded the Young Scientist’s Award
40th Annual Conference of Indian Society Gastroenterology, Nov, 1999.
1. Biochemical changes in rat red blood cells after chronic oral administration of aluminium.
B. Design, R Katyal, S. Ojha.
Medical Science Research Oct. Vol. 23/10; 665-666, 1995.
2. Mild to Moderate Malnutrition in small Intestine of young Rhesus Monkeys.
SV Rana, D Gupta, AK Malik, R Katyal, SK Mehta
Nutrition Vol. 11, No.3; 292-295, 1995.
3. Study of Oxidative stress in rotavirus infected infant mice.
CP Sodhi, R Katyal, SV Rana, S Attri, V Singh
Indian J. Med Res. Oct. Vol. 104; 245-249, 1996.
4. Protein-energy malnutrition and oxidative injury in growing rats
SV Rana, CP Sodhi, S Mehta, K vaiphei, R Katyal, S Thakur, S Mehta
Human & Experimental Toxicology, June Vol 150; 810-814, 1996.
5. Oral aluminium administration and oxidative injury
R Katyal, B Desigan, CP Sodhi, S.Ojha
Biological Trace Element Research 57 (2); 125-130, 1997.
6. Study of leucine uptake & related enzymes of rotavirus infected malnourished mice.
R Katyal, V Singh, K Vaiphei, S Ohja, SV Rana
16th International Congress of Nutrition, Montreal Canada.P. 377; PR 486, 1997.
7. Effect of Rotavirus infection on small gut pathophysiology in mouse model.
R katyal, SV Rana, K Vaiphei, S Ohja, V Singh
J. Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 14; 779-784, 1999.
8. Protective Efficacy of trypsin inhibitor on the gut following rotavirus infection in malnourished infant mice
R Katyal, S. Ohja, SV Rana, K. Vaiphei, K Singh and V Singh
Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism 43; 319-328, 1999.
9. Influence of soyabean trypsin inhibitor on small bowel enzyme activities during rotavirus infection in malnourished infant mice.
R Katyal, S V Rana, K Vaiphei, S Ohja, K Singh and V Singh.
Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism 44; 198-206, 2000.
11. Rotavirus Infection: A perspective
R Katyal, S V Rana and V Singh
ActaVirologica 44; 283-288, 2000.
12. Isoniazid and Rifampicin-induced oxidative hepatic injury-protection by acetylcysteine.
S Attri, SV Rana, K Vaiphie, CP Sodhi, R Katyal, RC Goel, CK Nain and K Singh.
Human and Exp. Toxicol.19; 517-522, 2000.
13. Breath Tests: An Overview.
R. Katyal, SV Rana, K Singh
Gastroenterology Today 4(3); 111-116, 2000
14. Effect of alcohol dependence on the levels of duodenal disaccharidases in human subjects.
D Sneden, DK Bhasin, SV Rana, R Katyal and K Singh.
Ind. J. Physiology Pharmacology 44(4); 495-499, 2000.
15. Effect on Giardia lambliaon duodenal disaccharidase levels in humans.
KD Singh, DK Bhasin, SV Rana, K Vaiphei, R Katyal, VK Vinayak, K Singh.
Tropical Gastroenterol 21; 174-176, 2000.
16. Comparison of duodenal &jejunaldisaccharidase levels in non-ulcer dyspepsia patients.
SV Rana, DK Bhasin, R Katyal and K Singh.
Tropical Gastroenterol 22; 135-136, 2001.
17. Mild-to-Moderate malnutrition alters glutathione, -glutamyltranspeptidase and glycine uptake in small intestinal brush-border vesicles of rhesus monkeys.
SV Rana, D Gupta, R Katyal and K Singh.
Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism 45; 113-147, 2001.
18. Effect of rotavirus infection on small bowel lipid composition and glucose uptake in infant mice.
R Katyal, S V Rana, K Vaiphei, S Ojha, K Singh and V Singh.
Indian J. Gastroenterol 20; 18-21, 2001.
19. Protection against rotavirus diarrhea in mice by trypsin inhibitor.
R. Katyal, SV Rana, V Singh, S Ohja, V Vaiphei and K Singh
Ind. J. Exp. Biol. 39; 546-550, 2001.
20. Protection against rotavirus challenge in mice orally inoculated withtrypsin inhibitor.
R Katyal, V Singh, SV Rana, S Ohja, K Vaiphei, K. Singh.
Ind. J. Medical Research 113; 40-47, 2001.
21. Protective effect of N-Acetylcysteine in isonaizid induced hepatic injury in young rats.
S Attri, SV Rana, K Vaiphei, R Katyal, CP Sodhi and K Singh.
Ind. J. Exp. Biol. 39; 436-440, 2001.
22. Duodenal disaccharidases alterations in chronic smokers.
D Kaura, DK Bhasin, SV Rana, R Katyal, K Vaiphei, K Singh.
Ind. J. Gastroenterol 20; 62-63, 2001.
23. Fecal excretion of brush border membrane enzymes in patients with Clostridium difficillediarrhea.
R. Katyal, C Vaishnavi, K Singh.
Ind. J. Med. Microbiology 20(4); 178-182, 2002.
24. Study of hepatitis B and C viral markers in patients of chronic liver diseases.
V Singh, R Katyal, DK Bhasin, RK Kochhar and K Singh.
Ind. J. Medical Microbiol.22(4); 269-270, 2004.
25. Lipid composition and amino acid uptake during rotavirus infection and protection with trypsin inhibitor in malnourished infant mice.
R Katyal, V Singh, SV Rana, K Vaiphei, S Ohja and K Singh.
Ind. J. Clinical Biochemistry 20(1); 118-122, 2005.
26 Lipid peroxide levels and antioxidant status in alcoholic liver disease.
S. Gupta,R. Pandey,Ranjan Katyal, H.K. Aggarwal, R.P. Aggarwal, S. K. Aggarwal.
Ind. J. Clinical Biochemistry 20(1); 67-71, 2005.
27. Role of dietary fibre in health and disease.
Ranjan Katyal, Vinod Rattan, S.K. Aggarwal, R.P. Aggarwal.
Gastroenterology Today 9; 65-69, 2005.
28. Alcohol and periodontal health in adolescence.
Ranjan Katyal, NitinSaroch,Bharath AK Bhushan
SRM J of Research in Dental Sciences 257-263,vol 3(4),2012.
29. Adelfa : A Diminutive review
Deepak Prashar,Ranjan Katyal, AK Adya
International Journal of Pharma Sciences and Research 701-704,vol 5,2014.
30. Pharmaco-Economical Prevalence of Patients Non compliance in Dental
Therapy in Solan (H.P.)
Deepak Prashar,Sanjay Kumar,Ranjan Katyal,Anjil Adya.
International Journal of Pharma Sciences and Research 803-805,vol 5,2014.
31. Pharmaco-Economical and Nutritional Overview of Rosemary
Ranjan Katyal, Deepak Prashar, Sanjay Kumar
Actapharmica 84-87,vol 2(2),2015.
32. Nutritional Aspects of Four Common Spices Used in Dentistry
Ranjan Katyal,Deepak Prashar
International Journal of Pharma Sciences and Research 87-88,vol 6(1),2015
Papers under preparation
1. Nitric Oxide: A double edged weapon
2. Obesity: Dysregulation of Neuro-Humoral Circuits of Energy Metabolism
3. Oxidative stress and Pathophysiology of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
• Complete knowledge of enzyme assays.
• Working experience of SDS-PAGE electrophoresis, agarose gel electrophoresis and paper electrophoresis.
• Working experience with radio-labelled compounds.
• Maintenance and handling of animals (rabbit, rat and mice).
• Complete knowledge of light and electron microscopy.
• Working experience on Kodak Auto-analyzers.
• Secured 3RD position in School Nationals Table Tennis Championships 1979.
• Awarded College Colour consecutively for three years, in the field of sports (Table Tennis) from 1984 to 1986.
• Secured Ist position in P.U. Inter College Table Tennis Championships consecutively for five years 1984-1988.
• Awarded stipend by D.A.V. College for consecutively three years and by U.T. Sports Departments for five years for being distinguished sportsman1985-1988.
• Awarded scholarship and University Colour by Punjab University, Chandigarh for excellence in sports (Table Tennis) 1989 .
• Won 1st position in Table Tennis Tournaments throughout North India in the decade 1980-1990.
• Participated in the Senior Nationals T.T. Championship held at Goa representing, Chandigarh 1992-93 session.
• Participated in the North-Zone All India Zonal T.T. Championship held in Chandigarh from 7th to 11th Nov., 1993.
• Secured Ist position in Senior Section in singles and doubles in PGI Annual Sports function in the game of Table Tennis 1995.
1. Dr. Akhtar Mahmood
Former Head, Deptt. of Biochemistry,
Panjab Univerisity, Chandigarh.
2. Dr. (Prof.) Kartar Singh
Head, Deptt. Of Gastroenterology,
3. Dr. (Maj. Gen.) P.N. Awasthi,
(Ex-Principal, D.A.V. Dental College, Solan)
Former Secretary, Dental Council of India