NANCY S. NAVARRO, CPA
Westbury, New York E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org Professional Profile
Senior manager with solid background in financial management, accounting, cost analysis, auditing, and internal controls. Highly adaptable to changing business environment. Strengths include policy and procedure development, systems reviews, streamlining processes. Emphasis on implementing effective cost reductions to maximize productivity and profits. Major Accomplishments:
• Designed and implemented a financial reporting system in accordance with U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) to enhance its usefulness for decision making, maintain primary qualities, that of relevance and reliability. Project included development of chart of accounts, migration of data from an old to a new system and the interface with other financial reporting system in a readable format. Completed the project in 5 months for 15 entities with limited resources.
• Performed all aspects of operational accounting and analysis for private equity, hedge funds, public equities and real estate investments, including performance calculation, mark to market valuation.
• Provided performance returns on investment portfolio on a periodic basis that also included cumulative performance comparison to S&P500, DJIA, NASDAQ and Russell 2000 from the date of inception for domestic high-net-worth families, trust and foreign institutional investors.
• Provided transaction administration, financial and control support on the investment portfolio to accomplish mutual beneficial venture or project totaling $350 million in assets.
• Reviewed transaction details on acquisition, disposition to ensure proper installation or disposition of portfolio management system. Developed control procedures to detect and prevent potential accounting errors and exceptions.
• Brought the Company’s tax affairs in-house that would not interfere with the accounting firm’s preparation of annual tax return, thereby, kept the Company’s tax payments to a minimum and drove excess expense on professional fees out. Professional Experience:
Controller, Morgan Stanley New York, NY 06/2018 to 02/2019 Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Company has presence in 43 countries.
• Work on the transition and implementation of FASB’s new lease accounting standard (ASC 842) and IFRS 16 that have a huge impact on its financial statements, write internal documentation on policies and procedures, work on various types of leases on real estate, airplanes, information technology assets and office equipment.
• Identify critical lease term, considering extension, renewal and early termination clauses, where remeasurements and impairments are needed due to change in the economics of the lease.
• Manage large data of real estate leases by employing advanced IF function that add all of its arguments that meet multiple criteria and LOOKUP functions to find items in a table or range by row. Controller & Operations Manager, JA Mitsui Leasing Capital Corporation (JMCC) New York, NY 08/2012 to 01/2018 JMCC is a 100% owned by JA Mitsui Leasing Ltd. (the Parent, a Japanese corporation). The Company provides a wide range of financing and leasing services to businesses operating in the USA. Services include commercial financing, through participation in financing agreements arranged by other financial institutions, direct financing through various types of secured debt.
• Managed and monitored portfolio investment of senior secured loans totaling $360 million that were acquired in the secondary market or as a part of syndicated loan offering manage by GSO Capital. Prepared consolidated financial statements for the Holding Company and its subsidiaries. Managed large excel files and data sets. Prepared IFRS reporting package on a quarterly basis for transmission to the Headquarter in Tokyo, Japan. NANCY S. NAVARRO, CPA (Continued)
• Prepared tax reporting package to facilitate tax return preparation on a quarterly basis for transmission to the Headquarter in Tokyo, Japan. Coordinated annual audit, wrote audited financial statements with complete footnotes in compliance with the audit engagement.
• Originally served as Controller & Operations Manager to the former MBK Capital Management, LLC. (MCM), a 100% subsidiary of Mitsui & Co., Ltd., a Japanese Corporation. MCM was the advisory Company for MCM Fund 1 LP
(MCM Fund), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Mitsui that provided senior loan facilities totaling $350 million for investment to LBO transactions of middle market companies in the USA by utilizing strategic partnership with General Electric Capital Corporation which were held by various Private Equity groups.
• Managed and administered the MCM Fund and advisory companies financially, prepared budget per entity and all treasury related work. Instituted internal controls, reviewed partnership, investment agreements in place, prepared capital calls, distribution to the General and Limited partners, worked closely with GE Capital, Mitsui Headquarter, auditors and tax advisor.
Senior Accountant. Olayan America New York, NY 10/2008 – 10/2010 Global investment firm that manages investments originating primarily in North, Central, and South America., and provides advisory services to The Olayan Group. The substantial investment portfolio includes diversified public and private equities across a variety of sectors, from financial and communication companies to consumer product manufacturers and real estate.
Performed all aspects of operational accounting, managerial control, external audit, analysis and review of corporate taxes, estates, trust. Instituted controls on public, private equities hedge funds and real estate. Reviewed accounting issues to comply with the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS). Reviewed monthly closing, reconciliations, preparation and analysis of financial statements to Olayan group of companies with total assets of
$5billion. Managed intercompany transactions for 12 subsidiaries and resolutions of discrepancies. Managed cash flow for special purpose entities and on line banking platforms. Liaised with external auditors for interim and annual audit.
Senior Manager, Gillberg & Co LLC CPAs Westchester, NY 08/2005 – 09/2008; 11/2010 – 07/2012 Provided audits of not-for-profit organizations and accounting services to a wide range of clients in the Metropolitan New York area. Provided financial accounting services for an investment firm primarily invested in hedge fund, private equity and multi strategy funds for assets under management of $1.3 billion. Prepared financial statements, compilation reports for 20 LLCs; as well as Form 1065 Partnership returns, Trust and Foundation accounts. Performed monthly valuation reports for wealthy private families and institutional clients. Manager & Controller, Spectrum Capital, Ltd., Stamford, Connecticut 02/1989 – 07/2005 Spectrum was a merchant bank, an acknowledged leader in financing aerospace projects. It was one of the premier arrangers of structured financings in the commercial aircraft industry. It was established as a joint venture between the Mitsubishi Trust & Banking Corporation and an executive-owner group.
• Prepared and directed the preparation of consolidated financial statements that included the accounts of the Parent and its 15 wholly owned subsidiaries and United Kingdom branch, or a total of 16 companies. Administered and provided controls over certain special purpose entities and entities owned 50% or less that are accounted for following the equity method or partnership accounting.
• Reviewed transaction details of capital or operating lease to determine compliance with U.S. GAAP. Coordinated financial systems/operations of overseas branch, applied extensive knowledge in the translation and remeasurement of foreign currency financial statements and foreign currency transactions as per U.S. GAAP.
• Prepared tax packages for outside accounting firm to facilitate the company’s annual tax return that reduces the return hours thereby, reducing the cost of professional fees.
• Refined internal reports for senior management as well as external reports as necessary to be more useful with greater relevance. Performed analysis of the results of financial data, statistics and interpreted the results for the Chief Financial Officer.
Professional license: Certified Public Accountant, New York State, USA and Philippines Bachelor’s Degree: Bachelor of Science in Business Administration Major in Accounting, Stella Maris College, Manila, Philippines Other studies: Business and Taxation Law, Pace University, New York, NY, USA Professional affiliation: American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), Member National Association of Tax Professionals (NATP), Member Computer Skills:
Personal Computer: Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel General Ledger, tax, payroll systems: Microsoft Navision, SunSystem, QuickBooks, Lacerte, Thomson Reuters CS Connect, ADP, Bloomberg, Manhattan