Kam-Meng Mary Tchou-Wong, PhD
** **** **** ******, *** 8E, NEW YORK, NY 10128
Year Degree Field Institution
**** *.*. ******mistry Stony Brook University
1988 Ph.D. Molecular Biology Princeton University (Mentor: Dr. Arnold J. Levine) PRE/POSTDOCTORAL TRAINING
1981 - 1982 Research Technician Dr. Fred Heffron at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory 1988 - 1992 Postdoctoral Fellow Dr. I. Bernard Weinstein Columbia University Medical Center
1993 Intramural Fellow Dr. Warren J. Leonard
National Institutes of Health/National Heart Lung & Blood Institute ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS
1994 - 2016 Assistant Professor & Associate Professor, Departments of Medicine & Environmental Medicine, NYU School of Medicine OTHER PROFESSIONAL POSITIONS AND APPOINTMENTS
2003 - 2016 Member, Early Detection Focus Group, NYU NIEHS Center 2004 - 2016 Member, Environmental Carcinogenesis, NYU Cancer Center 2006 - 2016 Member, Internal Advisory Committee, NYU NIEHS Center 2010 - 2016 Appointed Member, NYU Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee 7/2016 - 12/2016 IACUC/IBC Project Coordinator, Office of IACUC/IBC, NYU Langone Medical Center (Animal Research Compliance)
1/2017 - 12/2017 Compliance and Training Coordinator, Office of IACUC, Columbia University (Animal Research Compliance)
1/2018 - Present Senior Research Project Manager, Institute for Genomic Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center
Manage $30 million of annual funding including NIH grants, subcontracts, industry contracts (AstraZeneca, Biogen, Boehringer Ingelheim) foundation grants, gifts and service agreements for the Institute for Genomic Medicine, communicate and manage new and established relationship/collaborations with research investigators/staff, industry and foundation partners, genomics and bioinformatics/IT cores, Offices of Clinical Trials, Tech Ventures, Development, and Sponsored Projects Administration and Finance, facilitate and manage new business strategies/initiatives and grant applications, pre-award and post-award grants management and budgeting, annual & financial reporting and grants closeouts, monitor budgets, review/attest monthly expenditures, effort and resource allocation and reporting, compliance review/approve projects and data transfer, manage/assure compliance with IRB, IACUC, MTA, DTA, informed consents, dbGaP deposition, data transfer, supervise research project manager to ensure efficient project management and deliverables 12/2018 - Present Grants Consultant, NYU Langone Medical Center Support submission of large, complex basic/clinical/translational research and center grants and provide overall research and administrative writeups 2
MAJOR SUPERVISORY & ADMINISTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES 2002 - 2005 Associate Director, NYU General Clinical Research Center, Molecular Core Laboratory (Support clinical research)
2006 - 2016 Director, Animal Exposure Cores funded by NYU Cancer Center and NYU Environmental Health Science Center
2006 - 2016 Director, NYU Department of Environmental Medicine Satellite Animal Facility (Supervise animal care staff & assure compliance) 2012 - 2015 Faculty Administrative Assistant, NYU Environmental Health Science Center (Administrative support for submission of competing/non-competing NIEHS Center grants)
Leader in Life Science - Screening Committee for Pitch Night, and Member - Deals and Ecosystem Committees, Princeton Alumni Angels of Greater NY (2018 - present) Co-Founding Scientist/Consultant of iProDynamic Therapeutics Inc. - Biotech Startup (2013 - 2017)
“To develop and commercialize plant-based oral enzyme replacement therapy for lysosomal storage orphan diseases and Pompe disease”
Co-Inventor, PCT/US14/46469 patent, submitted by NYU, July 15, 2014 (pending)
“Methods and oral formulations for enzyme replacement therapy of human lysosomal and metabolic diseases”
Co-Inventor, United States Patent 7,741,298 (NYU), approved June 22, 2010
“Method and compositions for inhibiting tumorigenesis” OTHER RESEARCH-RELATED EXPERIENCES
Grant Reviewer: NIH/NHLBI for K02/K08 (2004-2005); NIH/NIEHS SBIR (2001); NIH/NIDDK R03 (2003); NIH/NHLBI K01 grants (2003,
2005, 2006); NIH/NIAID U01 Biodefense Grants (2008); Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) Intramural Proposals Sponsor: Pulmonary Fellowship, Stony Wold-Herbert Fund (2002 -2003) Member: Editorial Board of World J Gastroenterology (2004 - present) Awards: NYU School of Medicine Young Investigator Award (9/1999); NYU School of Medicine Incentive Awards (11/2002; 7/2003; 7/2004, 5/2011, 5/2012)
BOARDS AND COMMUNITY ORGANIZATIONS:
1981-1987 Choir Organist, Transfiguration Church
2002-2003 Secretary, Elementary School PS6 School Leadership Team 2002-2004 Grade Representative, PS6 Parent-Teacher Association Executive Board 2004-2005 Vice President, PS6 Parent-Teacher Association Executive Board 2005-2008 School Leadership Team Parent Member, Wagner Middle School 2009-2012 School Leadership Team Parent Member, Stuyvesant High School 2011-2013 School Leadership Team, Manhattan Hunter Science High School 2013-2015 Co-President, Manhattan Hunter Science High School Parent Association 2017 Judge, NYC Science & Engineering Fair, Initial and Final Rounds INDEPENDENT GRANTS RECEIVED AS PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR: NIH/NIEHS Center Pilot Grant 08/12-12/13
Immunoprofiling of anti-glycan antibodies using printed glycan arrays as indicators of toxicity in plasma of workers occupational exposed to nickel
Principal Investigator: Tchou-Wong
NIH/NIAID R21 AI080987-02 04/10-03/13
Development of cell-permeable antibodies for post-exposure treatment of ricin in animal model Principal Investigator: Tchou-Wong
NIH/NCI EDRN Setaside Grant 03/09-06/11
Identification of biomarkers in sputum of high-risk smokers for the early detection of lung cancer Principal Investigator: Tchou-Wong
Research Contract from Minister of Defense, Republic of France 10/08-09/11 Evaluating the protective effects of scFv against ricin A-chain in lung aspiration animal model Principal Investigator: Tchou-Wong
NIH/NIAID R21 AI059476 09/06-08/10
Development of new therapeutic approaches for ricin-induced lung injury: Polycation polyethylenimine-mediated uptake of RNA ligands (aptamers) specific for ricin A-chain Principal Investigator: Tchou-Wong
NIH/NCI R01 Grant 05/03-04/06
Chemoprevention of Carcinogen-Induced Lung Cancer
Principal Investigator: Tchou-Wong
NIH/NIDDK R21 Grant 09/02-09/05
Role of H. Pylori Infection in Esophageal Adenocarcinoma Principal Investigator: Tchou-Wong
Pilot Grant NYU NIEHS Center 05/02-04/03
Cadmium and p53 in Tobacco-Related Lung Carcinogenesis Principal Investigator: Tchou-Wong
NIH/NIEHS R01 Grant 09/97-09/02
c-Jun Kinase (JNK) Pathway in Silica-Induced Apoptosis Principal Investigator: Tchou-Wong
Charles E. Culpeper Pilot/Rockefeller Brothers Fund 07/01-09/02 p53 Response and Lung Cancer Risk
Principal Investigator: Tchou-Wong
ALA Research Grant 07/97-06/99
Novel Form of p21WAF1/CIP1 and G2/M Arrest in Lung Cancer Principal Investigator: Tchou-Wong
Stony Wold-Herbert Fund Grant 07/95-06/96
p53 and Lung Cancer
Principal Investigator: Tchou-Wong
OTHER GRANT SUPPORT:
NIH/NCI Principal Investigator: Neel 06/03-02/18
Cancer Center Support Grant to support oncology research, education and patient activity through its programs and specialized shared resources Role: Director of Animal Exposure Shared Resource
NIH/NIEHS Principal Investigator: Costa 04/12-03/17 Environmental Health Sciences Center to support programs and shared resources for animal- related and exposure-related environmental health research Role: Director of Animal Exposure Shared Resource
NIH/NCI U01 CA166905-02 Principal Investigator: Pass 07/13-06/18 Identifying Non-Coding RNAs for Early Detection and Prevention of Lung Cancer Patients and 4
validate these signatures by using NanoString technology and deep sequencing of microRNAs Role: Co-Investigator
NIH/NCI U01CA86137-12 Principal Investigator: Rom 04/00-06/15 NYU Lung Cancer Biomarker Center: Early Detection Research Network (EDRN) to evaluate individuals at increased risk for cancer to identify biomarkers associated with early stage cancer Role: Co-Investigator
EDRN/DCP/NCI Principal Investigator: Rom 09/12-08/14 Administrative Supplements to Cooperative Agreement Award “Biomarkers to Distinguish Aggressive Cancers from Non-aggressive or Non-progressing Cancers” Role: Co-Investigator
NIH/NCI EDRN Subcontract Principal Investigator: Rom 03/09-06/11 BioOptical Interrogation of the Buccal Mucosa for Lung Cancer Risk Analysis Role: Co-Investigator
NIH/NIEHS P42 ES010344-06A2 Principal Investigator: Costa 08/09-07/11 Carcinogenic Metals and Their Interactions with Other Toxicants Role: Co-Investigator
1. Respaud R, Marchand D, Pelat T, Tchou-Wong KM, Roy CJ, et al. Development of a drug delivery system for efficient alveolar delivery of a neutralizing monoclonal antibody to treat pulmonary intoxication to ricin. J Control Release 2016; 234:21-32. 2. Wu F, Rom WN, Koshiji M, Mo Y, Hosomi Y, Tchou-Wong KM. Role of GLI1 and NDRG1 in increased resistance to apoptosis induction. J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol. 2015; 34(3):213-225. 3. Tsay JC, Li Z, Yie TA, Wu F, Segal L, Greenberg AK, Leibert E, Weiden MD, Pass H, Munger J, Statnikov A, Tchou-Wong KM, Rom WN. Molecular characterization of the peripheral airway field of cancerization in lung adenocarcinoma. PLoS One 2015; 10(2):e0118132. 4. Vuskovic M, Barbuti AM, Goldsmith-Rooney E, Glassman L, Bovin N, Pass H, Tchou-Wong KM, Chen M, Yan B, Niu J, Qu Q, Costa M, Huflejt M. Plasma anti-glycan antibody profiles associated with nickel level in urine. J Proteomics Bioinform 2013; 6(12):302-312. 5. Greenberg AK, Tsay JC, Tchou-Wong KM, Jorgensen A, Rom WN. Chemoprevention of lung cancer: prospects and disappointments in human clinical trials. Cancers (Basel) 2013; 5(1):131-148. 6. Martiniuk F, Reggi S, Tchou-Wong KM, Rom WN, Busconi M, Fogher C. Production of a functional human acid maltase in tobacco seeds: Biochemical analysis, uptake by human GSDII cells, and in vivo studies in GAA knockout mice. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 2013; 171(4):916-926. 7. Tsay JJ, Tchou-Wong KM, Greenberg AK, Pass H, Rom WN. Aryl hydrocarbon receptor and lung cancer. Anticancer Res 2013; 33(4):1247-1256. Review. 8. Greenberg AK, Lu F, Goldberg JD, Eylers E, Tsay T-C, Yie T-Y, Naidich D, McGuinness G, Pass H, Tchou-Wong KM, Addrizzo-Harris D, Chachoua A, Crawford B, and Rom WN. CT scan screening for lung cancer: Risk factors for nodules and malignancy in a high-risk urban cohort. PLoS One 2012; 7:e39403.
9. Tchou-Wong KM, Kiok K, Tang Z, Kluz T, Arita A, Smith PR, Brown S, Costa M. Effects of nickel treatment on H3K4 trimethylation and gene expression. PLoS One 2011; 6(3):e17728. 10. Cai Z, Tchou-Wong KM, Rom WN. NF-kappaB in lung tumorigenesis. Cancers (Basel). 2011; 3(4):4258-4268.
11. Kim CE, Tchou-Wong KM, Rom WN. Sputum-based molecular biomarkers for the early detection of lung cancer: limitations and promise. Cancers (Basel) 2011; 3(3):2975-2989. 12. Kang GS, Gillespie PA, Gunnison A, Moreira AL, Tchou-Wong K-M, Chen LC. Long-term inhalation exposure to nickel nanoparticles exacerbated atherosclerosis in a susceptible mouse model. Environ Health Perspect 2011; 119:176-181.
13. Martiniuk F, Damian DL, Thompson JF, Scolyer RA, Tchou-Wong KM, Levis WR. TH17 is involved in the remarkable regression of metastatic malignant melanoma to topical diphencyprone. J Drugs Dermatol 2010; 9:1368-1372.
14. Gillespie PA, Kang GS, Elder A, Gelein R, Chen L, Moreira AL, Koberstein J, Tchou-Wong KM, Gordon T, Chen LC. Pulmonary response after exposure to inhaled nickel hydroxide nanoparticles: short and long-term studies in mice. Nanotoxicol 2010; 4:106-119. 15. Wu F, Fan S, Martiniuk F, Pincus S, Müller S, Kohler H, Tchou-Wong KM. Protective effects of anti-ricin A-chain antibodies delivered intracellularly against ricin-induced cytotoxicity. World J Biol Chem 2010; 1(5):188-195.
16. Martiniuk F, Lee DS, Gaspari A, Yee H, Chiriboga L, Huie M, Tchou-Wong KM, Levis WR. Expression of CD70 and the TH17 transcription factor RORgammaT in human contact dermatitis. J Drugs Dermatol 2008; 7(10):956-960.
17. Fan S, Wu F, Martiniuk F, Hale ML, Ellington AD, Tchou-Wong KM. Protective effects of anti- ricin A-chain RNA aptamer against ricin toxicity. World J Gastroenterol 2008; 14(41):6360-6365. 18. Yee H, Yie T-A, Goldberg J, Wong K-M, Rom WN. Immunohistochemical study of fibrosis and adenocarcinoma in dominant-negative p53 transgenic mice exposed to chrysotile asbestos and benzo(a)pyrene. J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol 2008; 27:267-276. 19. Belitskaya-Levy I, Hajjou M, Su WC, Yie TA, Tchou-Wong KM, Tang MS, Goldberg JD, Rom WN. Gene Profiling of normal human bronchial epithelial cells in response to asbestos and benzo(a)pyrene diol epoxide (BPDE). J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol 2007; 26:281-294. 20. Pratt TS, Pincus SH, Hale ML, Moreira AL, Roy CJ, Tchou-Wong KM. Oropharyngeal aspiration of ricin as a lung challenge model for evaluation of the therapeutic index of antibodies against ricin A- chain for post-exposure treatment. Exp Lung Res 2007; 33(8-9):459-481. 21. Zhang P, Tchou-Wong, KM, Costa M. Egr-1 mediates hypoxia-inducible transcription of the NDRG1 gene through an overlapping Egr-1/Sp1 binding site in the promoter. Cancer Res 2007; 67:9125-9133.
22. Koshiji M, Kumamoto K, Morimura K, Utsumi Y, Aizawa M, Hoshino M, Ohki S, Takenoshita S, Costa M, Commes T, Piqeumal D, Harris CC, Tchou-Wong KM. Correlation of N-myc downstream- regulated gene 1 expression with clinical outcomes of colorectal cancer patients of different race/ethnicity. World J Gastroenterol 2007; 13:2803-2810. 23. Martiniuk F, Tambini M, Rahimian J, Moreira A, Yee H, Tchou-Wong KM, Hanna BA, Rom WN, Levis WR. Identification of novel hsp65 RFLPs for Mycobacterium leprae. J Drugs Dermatol 2007; 6(3):268-74.
24. Tchou-Wong KM, Fok SYY, Rubin JS, Pixley F, Condeelis J, Braet F, Rom W, Soon LL. Rapid chemokinetic movement correlates with the invasive potential of lung cancer cells; a functional molecular approach. BMC Cancer 2006; 6:151 (Erratum: BMC Cancer 2007; 7:32). 25. Qiu B, Mei Q, Liu L, Tchou-Wong KM. Effects of nitric oxide on gastric ulceration induced by nicotine and cold-restraint stress. World J Gastroenterol 2004; 10:594-597. 26. Soon LL, Yie T-A, Shvarts A, Levine AJ, Su F, Tchou-Wong KM. Overexpression of WISP-1 downregulated motility and invasion of lung cancer cells through inhibition of Rac activation. J Biol Chem 2003; 278:114**-*****.
27. Rom WN, Tchou-Wong KM. Functional genomics in lung cancer and biomarker detection. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2003; 29:153-156.
28. Rom WN, Tchou-Wong KM. Molecular and genetic aspects of lung cancer. Methods Mol Med 2003; 75:3-26.
29. Tchou-Wong KM, Rom WN. Lung-specific expression of mutant p53 as mouse model for lung cancer. Methods Mol Med 2003; 74:465-480.
30. Greenberg AK, Basu S, Hu J, Yie T-A, Tchou-Wong KM, Rom WN, Lee TC. Selective p38 activation in human non-small cell lung cancer. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2002; 26:558-564. 31. Greenberg AK, Hu J, Basu S, Hay J, Reibman J, Yie T-A, Tchou-Wong KM, Rom WN, Lee TC. Glucocorticoids inhibit lung cancer cell growth through both the extracellular signal-related kinase pathway and cell cycle regulators. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2002; 27:320-328. 6
32. Tchou-Wong KM, Jiang Y, Yee H, LaRosa J, Lee TC, Pellicer A, Jagidar J, Gordon T, Goldberg J, Rom WN. Lung-specific expression of dominant-negative mutant p53 in transgenic mice increases spontaneous and benzo(a)pyrene-induced lung cancer. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2002; 27:186-193. 33. Srivastava K, Rom WN, Jagidar J, Yie T-A, Gordon T, Tchou-Wong KM. Crucial role of interleukin-1β and nitric oxide synthase in silica-induced inflammation and apoptosis in mice. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002; 165:527-533.
34. Addrizzo-Harris DJ, Harkin TJ, Tchou-Wong KM, McGuinness G, Goldring R, Cheng D, Rom WN. Mechanisms of colchicine effect in the treatment of asbestosis and idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Lung 2002; 180:61-72.
35. Jiang Y, Cui L, Yie T-A, Rom WN, Cheng H, Tchou-Wong KM. Inhibition of anchorage- independent growth and lung metastasis of A549 lung carcinoma cells by I B . Oncogene 2001; 20:2254-2263.
36. Rom WN, Hay JG, Lee TC, Jiang Y, Tchou-Wong KM. Molecular and genetic aspects of lung cancer. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2000; 161:1355-1367. 37. Tchou-Wong KM, Tanabe O, Chi C, Yie T-A, Rom WN. Activation of NF- B in Mycobacterium tuberculosis-induced interleukin-2 receptor expression in mononuclear phagocytes. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999; 159:1323-1329.
38. Jiang Y, Rom WN, Yie T-A, Chi C, Tchou-Wong KM. Induction of tumor suppression and glandular differentiation of A549 lung carcinoma cells by dominant-negative IGF-I receptor. Oncogene 1999; 18:6071-6077.
39. Tchou W-W, Yie T-A, Tan T-H, Rom WN, Tchou-Wong KM. Role of c-Jun N-terminal kinase 1
(JNK1) in cell cycle checkpoint activated by the protease inhibitor N-acetyl-leucinyl-leucinyl- norleucinal. Oncogene 1999; 18:6974-6980.
40. Tchou-Wong KM, Harkin T J, Chi, C, Bodkin M, Rom WN. GM-CSF gene expression is normal but protein release is absent in a patient with pulmonary alveolar proteinosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1997; 156:1999-2002.
41. Klingler K, Tchou-Wong KM, Brändli O, Aston C, Kim R, Chi C, Rom WN. Effects of mycobacteria on regulation of apoptosis in mononuclear phagocytes. Infect Immunity 1997; 65:5272- 5278.
42. Rom WN, Yie T-A, Tchou-Wong KM. Development of a suicide gene as a novel approach of killing Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1997; 156:1993-1998. 43. Chang JC, Wysocki A, Tchou-Wong KM, Moskowitz N, Zhang Y, Rom WN. Effect of Mycobacterium tuberculosis and its components on macrophages and the release of matrix metalloproteinases. Thorax 1996; 51:306-311.
44. Law K, Weiden M, Harkin T, Tchou-Wong KM, Chi C, Rom WN. Increased release of interleukin-1 beta, interleukin-6, and tumor necrosis factor-alpha by bronchoalveolar cells lavaged from involved sites in pulmonary tuberculosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1996; 153:799-804. 45. Tchou W-W, Rom WN, Tchou-Wong KM. Novel form of p21WAF1/CIP1/SDI1 protein in phorbol ester- induced G2/M arrest. J Biol Chem 1996; 271:295**-*****. 46. Rom WN, Schluger N, Law K, Condos R, Zhang Y, Weiden M, Harkin T, Tchou-Wong KM. Human host response to Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Schweiz Med Wochenschr 1995; 125:2178- 2185.
47. Tchou-Wong KM, Weinstein IB. Altered expression of protein kinase C, lck and CD45 in a 12-O- tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate-dependent leukemic T-cell variant that expresses a high level of interleukin-2 receptor. Mol Cell Biol 1992; 12:394-401. 48. Choi PM, Tchou-Wong KM, Weinstein IB. Overproduction of protein kinase C in HT29 colon cancer cells causes growth inhibition and tumor suppression. Mol Cell Biol 1990; 10:4650-4657. 49. Wong KM, Levine AJ. Characterization of proteins encoded by the Epstein-Barr Virus transactivator gene BMLF1. Virology 1989; 168:101-111.
50. Wong KM, Levine AJ. Identification and mapping of Epstein-Barr Virus early antigens and demonstration of a viral gene activator that functions in trans. J Virol 1986; 60:149-156.