John Daniels, BENG MBA
+1-705-***-**** email@example.com ca.linkedin.com/in/jhdaniels
A business management professional with experience managing diverse teams of people and businesses in global mining products companies. Experienced entrepreneur, having founded and developed a successful company for mineral exploration drilling products.
Adept at developing customized and unique business models and strategies. Experience:
Nipissing University January 2019
Teaching fourth year courses in Entrepreneurial Finance and Organization Development & Change.
Mincon Rotacan September 2016 – September 2018
Mincon is a multinational company based in Ireland. I was the senior employee in Canada responsible for the daily management of Sales, Engineering, Accounting and Manufacturing employees.
• Discovered and fixed fundamental design and manufacturing issues that significantly improve product performance, especially in extremely hard rock drilling applications.
• Successfully changed the sales offer from low price to high performance at higher price.
• Implemented lean manufacturing concepts to significantly reduce factory space.
• Implemented a new ERP system to improve business processes and planning.
• Converted the Rotacan Rotary acquisition into a Mincon branded company.
• Developed Canadian sales of Mincon DTH Hammer products. Business Consulting May 2014 – August 2016
• Provided consulting services to companies in the mining industry.
• Developed and implemented strategies for product development, manufacturing, supply chain, accounting, and sales & marketing.
• Products included core drilling tools and a centrifuge for water/solids separation.
• Developed international sales channels through a mixture of distributor, agent and direct customer contacts.
Drillers Edge January 2010 - January 2014
Founder / President
I founded a successful start-up company to design, manufacture and market core drilling tools for the mineral exploration industry.
• Created a unique business model and strategy to prosper in a volatile industry.
• Developed customized design and manufacturing processes.
• Developed multiple sales channels in North America, South America, Australia, Europe, Asia, Russia and Africa.
• Executed a successful merger and expansion with a larger corporation to allow for rapid expansion.
• Oversaw the design and construction of a custom built 30,000 square foot facility.
Sandvik May 2008 to December 2009
Vice President Aftermarket - Global Exploration Products I was recruited by Sandvik to helped meld a diverse group of regionally focussed acquisitions into a cohesive, structured, globally competitive products company.
• Developed a global team and a product strategy to merge the best of the acquired company’s regional products and capabilities with global industry standards and expectations.
• Developed an optimal business strategy for the volatile exploration industry.
• Directed product development for core drilling rods, core retrieval tools and diamond products.
Boart Longyear January 1991 to April, 2007
Global Products Manager, Percussive Drilling Products. Operations Manager, Percussive Drilling Tools.
Operations Manager, Core Drilling Products.
Manufacturing Manager, Core Drilling Products.
Manufacturing Engineer, Core Drilling Products.
After working as a summer student, I joined Longyear as a Manufacturing Engineer. I worked in several roles which provided me with a broad multi-discipline business background, ultimately with profit and loss responsibility for the $125m Percussive Products Division. I had roles that required location in Canada, Australia and Ireland; as well as extensive experience in China. Some of the key skills that I acquired include:
• Managing and developing people in multiple countries (including union workers).
• Accounting and Finance.
• Strategy development and implementation.
• Budgeting and tracking.
• Marketing strategy and implementation.
• Customer and Supplier contract negotiations.
• Business restructuring through three mining cycles (downsizing and growth).
• Performance Management.
• Project Management.
• ERP implementations.
• Global pricing systems.
• Lean and Agile manufacturing systems.
• Facility closures and construction (e.g. Oversaw the design and build of an 80,000 ft2 sqft factory in Wuxi, China).
• Design and build of automation systems to lower cost and increase capacity.
• Quality management system implementation and certification to the ISO9001.
• Safety management systems.
• CAD/CAM systems and design for manufacturing.
• Design and build of new drilling machines for surface and underground coring. Education: Master of Business Administration
Ivey Business School, Western University
Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering
Concentration in Computer Integrated Manufacturing Carleton University, Ottawa, ON
Activities: I enjoy many outdoor activities such as camping, boating, fishing, sailing, hiking, and snowshoeing.
I have coached many soccer and hockey teams and have volunteered as convener and executive positions in Oakville and North Bay hockey associations.
I currently coach the Fundamentals program for the North Bay Ice Boltz and organize the yearly tournament with 1200 participants. I have served as a board member of the Canadian Diamond Drilling Industry since 2013.