SCOTT C. WILLIAMS
Scott C. Williams, Attorney At Law, Franklin, Tennessee 2018 - present Owner (2014-present)
● Served as expert witness and prepared expert witness report/testimony re: banking regulations and alleged illegal activities of defendant bank and officersofficer(s) in Palms Court Harborview, Inc. and Oliver Webster v. Banco Popular de Puerto Rico.
● Served as expert witness, and prepared expert witness report/testimony re: banking regulations, bank mortgage lending policy(ies), bank officer activities in loan negotiations and management of special asset(s) in Garner v. Coffee Co. Bank, et als., Coffee County Circuit No. 3984.
● Handled negotiation and closing of mergers of three (3) separate multi-entity trucking companies into Quickway Distribution Services, Inc. (Nashville client). Rudy, Wood, Winstead, Williams & Hardin, PLLC, Nashville, Tennessee 2010 - 2014 Partner
● Successfully defended Pinnacle Bank of Nashville at trial court level (U.S. District Ct. of Middle Tennessee), and at appellate court level (U.S. 6 th
Cir. Ct. of Appeals), in lawsuit
commenced by 1
Source Bank of South Bend, IN, involving multiple UCC Article IX issues, with 50-state exposure to client (and all similarly situated banks. (First Source Bank v. Wilson Bank & Trust, et als; 2013 BL 309126, 2013 U.S. App. Lexis 22563 (6 th
● Successfully defended builder/developer in lawsuit brought by municipality, alleging fraud and misfeasance in construction of “town hall” project (Town of Pegram v. Cornerstone Development, LLC (2012 WL 2127231 ; Tenn. Ct. App. 2012).
● Researched and prepared opinion(s) regarding multiple mortgage regulatory changes for F & M Bank (Clarksville, TN); Discussed, negotiated and defended regulatory approach(es) to implementation of regulatory changes with state and federal regulators. Waller Lansden Dortch & Davis, PLLC, Nashville, TN 1997 – 2010 Partner
● Successfully litigated and defended summary judgment (at trial), and continue to represent home- seller client in defense of allegations of improper/fraudulent disclosure in sale of farm property, in which plaintiffs allege that undisclosed underground petroleum tanks were responsible for causing multiple personal injuries (Stanfill v. Mountain; 301 SW 3d 179, Tenn Ct. App. 2006).
● Successfully litigated and defended 1
National Bank of Centerville in lawsuit alleging that its officers acted improperly and illegally in obtaining a power of attorney, allowing the use of that instrument in connection with a series of bank transactions, and in overseeing and managing the bank’s trust department and officers in the operation of a trust involved with the actors in the subject trust (Rogers v. 1
National Bank of Centerville, 2006 WL 344759
(Tenn. Ct. App. 2006).
● Defended probate litigation, in which client sought recovery of payment from Defendant insurer following an aircraft crash, resulting in the death of client’s son (U. S. Aviation Underwriters, Inc. v. Selle, 2006 WL 236914, Tenn. Ct. App. 2006).
● Successfully represented the 1
National Bank of Centerville in maintaining its lien position in real property, in litigation challenging the same, including a related boundary dispute, and challenges to the propriety of transfer of deed of trust warranties (Jack v. Dillehay, 194 SW 3d 441 (Tenn. Ct. App. 2005).
● Counseled and represented multiple transportation companies (primarily over-the-road interstate trucking companies) in merger and acquisition activities in several different jurisdictions. Activity was undertaken primarily on behalf of acquiring entity, but on behalf of selling entity in several instances.
● Maintained nearly constant representation of multiple banking organizations while at Waller, acting in the capacity of “outside corporate general counsel” (including litigation and regulatory counseling). Activity involved in counseling and representation of bank(s) in mergers and acquisitions, litigation, trust department activities, employment matters of all types, operations issues, and regulatory issues (state and federal). Community Bancshares, Inc., Blountsville, AL 1993 - 1997 Senior Vice President - Internal Controls; General Counsel and Corporate Secretary
● Managed the Audit, Compliance and Human Resources functions of Community Bancshares, Inc., throughout Alabama and Tennessee.
● Served as General Counsel and Corporate Secretary of Community Bank (Pulaski, TN), affiliate of Community Bancshares, Inc.)
Dominion Bank of Tennessee, Nashville, TN 1989 – 1993 Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary
● Brought all collection & foreclosure activity under the auspices of the Legal Department. Hired one additional lawyer and one paralegal in connection with our expanded duties, and saved the Bank ~ $ 250,000 annually in the process.
● Took on overall responsibility for administrative directorship of compliance activities, after negotiating with FDIC for release of Bank from responsibilities under a compliance Memorandum of Understanding.
● Became member of Regional (TN) Administrative Team within the holding company
(Dominion Bankshares Corp.), responsible for setting agenda and directing activities of executive officers within the region.
Sovran Bank Central South (f/k/a Commerce Union Bank), Nashville, TN 1985 - 1989 Chief Legal Counsel
● Chief Legal Counsel for Commercial Lending, Mortgage and Trust functions.
● Responsible for merger of all independently operated affiliates into Commerce Union Bank
(e.g.– affiliate banks, finance companies, trust operations, mortgage operations). Pickett, Lyle, Seigel, Drescher and Croshaw, P.C., Virginia Beach, VA 1980 - 1985 Attorney
● General counseling and litigation practice (both civil and criminal), including commercial litigation, corporate governance disputes, real estate title and related litigation, shareholder’s rights disputes, workers compensation matters, employment disputes and banking matters of all types for the Bank of Virginia Beach and for several Virginia savings & loan institutions. EDUCATION
University of Tennessee College of Law, Knoxville,TN Juris Doctorate (JD) – 1980
Furman University, Greenville, SC
Bachelor of Arts (BA), cum laude – 1977
Louisiana State University Graduate School of Banking, Baton Rouge, LA Masters (Certificate) – 1997
● Admitted to Tennessee Bar (all State & Federal courts) – 1980
● Admitted to Virginia Bar (all State & Federal courts) – 1982
● Admitted to Federal Courts of Colorado, Delaware and the Eastern District of Illinois
● Licensed - sale of insurance products (through financial entities) in Tennessee (2004). PUBLICATIONS/SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
● Guide To Consumer Lending Law & Regulation
Sheshunoff Information Services, Austin, TX (1991)
● Lender Liability: Theories & Trends
Sheshunoff Information Services, Inc., Austin, TX (1989)
● Loan Documentation: A Prime
Sheshunoff Information Services, Inc., Austin, TX (1989)
● Conference Speaker:
o Tennessee Bankers Association 2001; Leadership Conference, Scottsboro, AZ o Tennessee Bankers Association 2006; Annual Conference, West Palm Beach, FL o Tennessee Bankers Association 2013; Annual Conference, Charleston, SC PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
● American Bar Association
● Tennessee Bar Association
● Nashville Bar Association
In-House Corporate Counsel Committee (Past Chair)
● Virginia State Bar
● Tennessee Bankers Association
Bank Lawyers Committee (past - Chair); Government Relations Committee; Compliance Committee
● O’More College of Design, Franklin, TN (Chair of Board of Trustees, 2007 – 2014)
● The Kings Daughters School, Columbia, TN (Chair of Board of Directors, 2003 – 2008)
● Columbia (TN) Breakfast Rotary Club
Charter Member; Past Director; Past President