UI/UX Designer – Kansas City, KS
Passionate about design and creating better experiences for people in an environmentally sustainable way, I have over 20 years of hands on design experience in the Financial and the Healthcare industry at DST Systems, Inc. and affiliates. My industry experience has recently been augmented with a Master’s degree in UI/UX Design from the University of Kansas.
Core Competencies & Areas of Expertise
Contextual Inquiry, User Observation & Inquiry, Interviewing, User & Market Research, User-Centered Interaction Design, Collaborative Design, Experience Design, Usability Testing, Work Flows, Prototyping, Whole System Design, Creating Design Standards & Procedures, Process Improvement, Design Concept Presentations, Gaining Stakeholder Design Approvals, Design Thinking, HCI, Cost Reduction and Profit Improvement via Design Solution, Attention to Detail, Responsive Design, Conceptualization, Visual Communication, Agile, Yellow Belt User Interaction/User Experience
Demonstrated understanding of User Interaction (UI) and User Experience (UX) design principles including but not limited to:
• Conducting various research techniques such as: usability testing, card sorting & contextual inquiry
• Developing low to high fidelity prototypes
• Facilitating productive design related client interaction
• Significant contributor to advanced UX/UI design on new features
• Provided design input to corporate level product development plans, rebranding & concept documents
• Contributed to design reviews across multiple product types
• Advanced knowledge of UX & usability principles
• Advanced ability to implement a corporate level user-centered design process
• Experienced at creating detailed scenarios, journey maps, storyboards, task flows, work flows, etc.
• Advanced experience & knowledge of UI & visual design principles
• Participated in or lead user discovery initiatives including user research & persona creation
• Exceptional ability to specify, document & effectively communicate design solutions in details suitable for various audiences from business, technical or customer-facing groups Interaction Design
Demonstrated understanding of Interaction Design (IxD) principles including but not limited to:
• Discovering testing needs & defining test plans for usability testing
• Creating prototypes of low, medium or high fidelity as needed & iteratively evolving improvements
• Formulating and evolving usable solutions from test results
• Exceptional at specifying, documenting and effectively communicating IxD design solutions in details suitable for various audiences from business, technical or customer-facing groups
• Advanced ability at designing high quality interfaces, work flows & diagrams using MS Visio, Sketch, Balsamiq, InVision, Adobe Suite and other design tools Designer’s Toolbox
• UI/UX & Ix Design Skilled
• Usability Protocols & Testing
• Contextual Inquiry
• Persona Creation
• Design Planning & Facilitation
• Design Thinking
• Collaborative Design
• Mobile Design
• Responsive Design
Brenner Guess Counseling Services October 2017 – Current Lead Designer/Co-owner
• In October of 2017, I was part of a mass lay off as DST Systems rebranded and repositioned itself . Was in final semester of the Interaction Design Master’s degree program at KU which finished at end of 2017. Used severance to take a year (2018) off and travel. Helped wife run her Art Therapy business, designing her web site, letterhead, business cards and forms. Started looking again in January 2019. DST Pharmacy Solutions January 2015 – October 2017 Sr. Design Consultant
• Lead Designer on a company-wide redesign of all new customer on-boarding and intake forms.
• Intelligent user-centered intake forms greatly reduced user input duplication and user input errors while significantly increasing customer satisfaction and ease of use.
• Adoption of the new process increased to 100% across the customer base from 60%.
• Customers insisted upon the “design thinking” process being continued for all forms redesign.
• Lead design consultant and project manager for a DST customer on a new mobile app.
• Success was based upon user satisfaction and error reduction, important facets of HCI. DST Pharmacy Solutions January 2009 – January 2015 Sr. Designer
• Lead Analyst and Designer on Government mandated IT projects implementing new functionality and processes.
• Pharmacy Benefit Management (PBM) companies are required to adhere to a number of government regulations yearly about how claims processing should be performed.
• These regulations often require new fields and functionality be added to the system.
• Oversaw the UI design and implementation of regulatory mandated functions. Previous Work History Provided Upon Request
Microsoft Office Suite (expert level on Word, Excel, Visio & MS Project) Balsamiq, InVision, Google Sketch-up, Adobe Creative Suite, Prescription Claims Processing Systems, Automated Work Distribution Tools, Sales Tracking, Resource Tracking, Asset Management, Financial and Fiduciary Processing Systems, Mutual Fund Trade and Asset Tracking Systems, JIRA, Confluence, Visual Basic Education
• Undergraduate – Bachelor of Arts degree, majoring in English, minor in Business from the University of Kansas
• Graduate – Master of Arts degree in UI/UX Design from the University of Kansas
• Portfolio link – https://rick1guess.wixsite.com/rickguess-portfolio