James N. Davis
Education: Franklin University, Columbus, Ohio
Bachelor of Science in Accounting, April 1989
• Perform critical functions ensuring an accurate and timely month end and year end close, including performing journal entries and related analysis to ensure the proper recording of business transactions and records to ensure accurate reporting and internal controls.
• Researching and resolving any differences in a timely and accurate manner. Prepare and analyze month end journal entries from other accountants. Prepare and analyze financial statements which includes Balance Sheet and Income Statement for multiple business units
• Reconcile balance sheet accounts including Accounts Receivable
• Ensure accurate reporting and internal controls.
• Assist with the annual forecast and budget preparation of close to $260M
• Provide support with internal and external audits
• Ability to prioritize tasks to meet various deadlines
• Proficient in Peoples application software, Oracle, SAP and Microsoft applications. Professional Experience
Fiscal Officer – Accounting & Budget Manager 01/2014 to present Ohio State University- Columbus Ohio
• Responsible for the complex financial activities associated with maintaining ledger account and developing financial statements and reports. Develop/maintain operational performance; oversees the fiscal management of university fiscal staff and unit management to ensure accurate and timely accounting, training and technical fiscal and processing support. Proficient in using PeopleSoft application software.
• Oversee and manage 3 accounting and budget team members which provides accounting and budget support as well as financial reporting for 30 Student Life departments with a budget close to
$260M. Provide support to staff in their contacts with departmental fiscal staff and ensure the team works effectively with departmental business manager(s) and/or director(s). Oversee annual budget process for Student Life operations. Enter, review, and perform approvals of transactions and journal entries; help to ensure fiscal related risks are identified and appropriately mitigated; hire and train staff; work with business manager(s) and/or unit director(s) and Student Life Budget Director on priorities of staff; assist with financial decision making and analysis; establish, maintain, report, and analyze measurements of effectiveness. Monthly reconciliation of balance sheet accounts for the all units including, Accounts Receivable, Inventory, and Liabilities. Fiscal Officer -Senior Accountant, 04/2008 to 01/2014 Ohio State University, Office of Student Life-Fiscal Support Services -Columbus, Ohio
• Work in a team environment to provide fiscal support for 30 diverse Student Life day to day operations. Enter, review and approves accounting transactions into the PeopleSoft accounting system. Analyzes accounts and transactions to ensure accuracy of the general ledger. Assist in the budget process and validates funding and expenditure activity. I have reconciling experience in all the Student Life areas.
• Produces financial statements and reports and maintains metrics to track operations performance. Assist in cost accounting analysis, and the implementation of fiscal-related policies and procedures that ensure compliance with university policies and procedures with adherence to internal controls. Assist unit management to improve fiscal awareness and accountability.
• Supervisor of student staff members in the accounting area. Credit & Collections Manager / Sr. Accountant
05/2006 to 04/2008
Siemens Building Technologies - Worthington, Ohio
• Provide accuracy, integrity and completeness of the accounts receivable portfolio by resolving any billing disputes and the collection of all monies due.
• Administer the company credit policy; Work with sales personnel on terms and conditions of contracts and provide bi-weekly and monthly financial reports for division and region which includes cash forecasting, write-off’s and all credit related processes including determining the financial ability of current and future clients. Supervised 3 clerks in the collection and billing of invoices. Manage multiple tasks and meet aggressive deadlines with operations, sales and finance teams in the district. Knowledge of government contracts, billing and payment instructions.
• Reviews transactions for correct classifications; Monitors and reconciles account balances; Assists in the monthly and yearly financial reports; Knowledge of budgeting and cash flow; Works with divisional controller on day to day accounting duties. Perform related follow-up actions as reconciliation’s, adjustments and transactions including journal entries. Assists in maintaining ledger accounts. Proficient in Microsoft Excel spreadsheets and PeopleSoft and currently using SAP software.
Credit & Collections Supervisor, 10/2004 to 05/2006 AirNet Systems - Columbus, Ohio
• Responsibilities include, reviewing credit worthiness of perspective companies wanting to ship packages and on-demand charter jet services; Monitoring and updating credit limits on existing and new customers. Worked in conjunction with billing department on government billing and payment procedures. Supervised and reviewed the work of two Accounts Receivable clerks.
• Utilize Dunn & Bradstreet reporting; Collecting responsibilities for national and large account base; contracting for third party collections, and issuing adjustments based on established procedures;
• Periodic reporting with national sales team, controller and CFO on month end process, including preparing journal entries and reconciling general ledger account balances, bad debt and other billing processes. I have knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook and also the use of Crystal reports.