Binoj Joseph Matthew, MD, MHA
*** *. ********* ** #*** firstname.lastname@example.org
Fresno, CA 93730 559-***-****
Sacramento, CA 95814
I am interested in Mid to Senior level positions – Director, Executive – with a minimal focus on conventional clinical care. My experience and education includes a decade in Biomedical Research – inventor of three molecular genetics biotechnology patents – Clinical Medicine and Management as a Medical Director and Physician. This is in combination with my knowledge and experience in Health/Hospital Administration & Health Policy as well as Strategic Management. I am confident that my education and experience provides me with the tools to create effective interfaces between areas of biomedical and biotechnology research as well as corporate management; The aim is to bridge the divide that exists between scientists/technologists on the one hand and upper level management/targeted population on the other with the goal of creating synergy between the two arenas.
● Master’s in Health Administration (MHA) – University of Southern California (USC) (2015 – 2018)
● Medical Internship/Residency University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) (2013 – 2016) FMEP, California
● Doctor of Medicine (MD) AUC School of Medicine, St Maarten, (2008 – 2013) Netherlands Antilles and Coral Gables, Florida, USA
● Bachelor of Science (BS), Molecular Biology, University of California at Berkeley, (1989-1994) Berkeley, California
● Southwestern University School Of Law, Los Angeles, CA - (1998 - 2000) Two years in Juris Doctorate Program
Associate Editor of Southwestern Law Journal; Member of Moot Court; Interned at law firm of Bergman, Wedner and Dacey, Inc., Los Angeles, CA WORK EXPERIENCE
• Concentra/USHealthWorks Physicians Group (Select/Dignity Health) Sacramento, CA Medical Director and Physician (2-2018 onwards)
Provide executive leadership creating and overseeing strategic planning and strategic thinking utilizing the creative, and intuitive input I am able to draw upon with my medical, scientific, legal and medical backgrounds. Overseeing the provision of quality clinical services, creation of policies and the teams- both clinical and non-clinical- capable of effective implementation within occupational health centers in the East Bay and Sacramento. General Duties included: Strategic planning set to overall aims of the corporation, crafting plans involving interdisciplinary teams – management, financial, legal and medical. My management background and scientific knowledge as a physician and scientist was to bridge the inevitable divides so as to build consensus allowing agreement, understanding, and alignment enabling the achievement of improved practice performance in all aspects (clinical, business and financial); I was also responsible for medical supervision and overall regulation of all medical facets that may affect USHealthWorks/Concentra the largest occupational healthcare entity in the US. Responsible for developing and improving the foundation policy, protocols, and procedures given that these issues reflect the core of the institutional constitution while being available and capable of evaluating and managing any 2
acute dysfunction in any medical clinic/unit and with the shortest reasonable delay – financial, strategic and operational.
Physician – Operations :
Specializing in the treatment of occupational medicine, environmental contaminants and their health effects, including the physical, chemical, biological and social environments as well as the health outcomes of environmental exposures. In addition, specializing in treatments within the purview of Preventive Medicine which includes the prevention and management of occupational and environmental injury, illness, and disability.
● Tetra Health Centers and Physicians Group, Sacramento, CA and FL Physician and Medical Director: (7/2016 – 1/2018)
Treating pain, auto-inflammatory and neurological conditions. Under the aegis of the State of California, Compassionate Use Act of 1996, I treat patients are who unresponsive or dependent on opioids for chronic/acute pain - both musculoskeletal and neuropathic pain - and those who have failed neurological/monoclonal immunosuppressive treatments for neurological and immune disorders respectively, using state-of-the-art cannabinoid-based therapeutics.
Outpatient treatment and clinical services as well as administrative functions as medical director and includes cost management, quality and appropriateness of medical care, guidance and leadership for performance guidelines, ongoing development of policies and procedures, strategic development, quality assurance, physician relations and/or representation, clinical patient complaints, addressing of emergency issues, management of community relations and medical protocol development. Oversee the activities of the physician-group, including the recruiting and credentialing processes.
● Veteran’s Administration - Independent Contractor (2/2016 to 6/2016) Medical Evaluator – Combat related PTSD and Traumatic Brain Injury treatment and assessments for disability claims. Also, assessments for State of California, medical and mental health disability status.
● Youth Resilience, Inc., Selma, California (1/2003 – 5/2008) Co founder, Vice President, Corporate Secretary
Establishment of a California State Department of Social Services Licensed 501(C3) Non Profit Corporation, Level 7, providing treatment, services and eventual emancipation of physically and sexually abused minors - with concomitant PTSD and other psychiatric disorders. Contracted with state wide county Child Protective Services.
● Ohannesian Homes, Fresno, California (6/2000 – 5/2008) Asst. Administrator, Legal Counsel and Direct Care Staff California State Department of Social Services licensed and vendorized facilities for developmentally disabled adults dual diagnosed with psychopathologies and intellectual disabilities.
● Tularik Inc., S. San Francisco, California (Currently Amgen San Francisco, CA) (4/1993 – 12/1998) Senior Research Associate, Molecular Biology, and Microbial Genetics Antimicrobial therapeutics development molecular genetics/biology and biochemical research on discovery of novel small molecule antibiotics. Inventor on three US Patents - See below for details.
● DNA Plant Technology Inc., Berkeley, California (1/1990 – 3/1993) Laboratory Assistant II, Plant Molecular Genetics Ethylene and RNA Antisense research Post Transcriptional gene silencing in plants; Arabidopsis and Petunia Model Systems
Co Inventor United States Patents: (1993 – 2000)
Molecular Genetics/Biology/Biochemical Research Prokaryotic DNA Replication & Translational Antibiotic drug discovery. Please go to http://patents.justia.com/inventor/binoj-joseph-matthew 1. Modulators of Bacterial Peptidyl Transferase: U.S. Patent No. 5,962,244 2. Modulators of Bacterial Nucleic Acid Topoisomerases: U.S. Patent No 5,998,152 3. Modulators of Bacterial Nucleic Acid Topoisomerases: U.S. Patent No 6,197,527 PUBLICATIONS (2015/16)
● Parkinsonian /Dystonic Symptoms following Intravenous Methamphetamine use by a patient on Haloperidol Decanoate. Matthew BJ, Gedzior JS; Int J Psychiatry Med. 2015 Nov 2. PMID: 26526398
● Matthew B, Gedzior J. A Disabled Army Veteran with Severe Traumatic Brain Injury and Chronic Suicidal Ideation. Psychiatr Ann. 2016; 46: 157-160. doi: https://doi.org/10.3928/00485713-20160209-01
● UCSF Fresno Psychiatry Grand Rounds Journal Club: (2014) Inflammation, Depression and Psychosis: State of the Science
● Veterans Administration, San Francisco: (2016)
Combat Related Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Sequelae: Treatment State of the Art
● Kern/UCLA Medical Center - Grand Rounds: (2011)
Department of Surgery: “The State of the Art: Bladder Carcinoma”: Department of Internal Medicine: “Emerging Interventions and Therapeutics In GI Bleeds.”
● Tularik Inc., Currently Amgen, San Francisco: (1996/98) Research Findings Presentations at Scientific Company Retreats : 1. Asilomar Conference Center, Asilomar, Ca
2. Lake Tahoe, Granlibakken Conference Center
3. Tularik Company HQ, S San Francisco
● International Flower Congress, Amsterdam, Netherlands: (1993) Selective Control of Anthocyanins and Ethylene Production using RNA Anti-Sense technology:
References available upon request.